I Need Advise On A Situation I Have

Old 10-10-2005, 08:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by ASpouse
So, looking at my relationship with my husband and looking at yours, I have to question "What is nuts" and what isn't.
Right now, today, I would have to agree that my relationship is NUTS, that is why I feel it needs WORK or TENDING, what ever you want to call it.

I agree the work on ones self helps the relationship, but I also believe the relationship must be tended to as well ALONG with the personal growth.

I guess, we must happily agree to disagree on this one as what you are doing seems to be working for you and I am very happy for you that it is. I in turn am fairly new in the program and working hard everyday on myself and my relationship. Me first.....relationship second and things ARE getting better and much less intense.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by equus
What if the words were changed from working on a relationship to tending to a relationship? I see work as something done purely for a different gain - where as I tend to what I care for because that's a pleasure in itself.

This is from my experience being included in D's recovery and from stuff I learned to do even with long friendships. The alcohol service decided to work with us together because they felt our already strong bond was an asset. Even so some of their time with us has been about finding even better ways to work together.

Tending to my relationship.
Here's some of the stuff I/we do and hope I/we keep doing.

* I greet him with a hug, when I come in, when he comes downstairs or back from a shop. Even a dog has the sense to welcome their mate, sometimes we'd do well to learn from them.

* Not to sleep on anger, to go to sleep friends.

* To not let resentments build but to clear the air every once in a while, we were told to try a sandwhich method for tackling something negative, e.g. "Thanks for taking the rubbish out, and for washing the pots, but please can you wipe down the surfaces too? The floor looks good though." At the very least 3 good things to each negative. The discipline helps us have to think of a more complete picture than just what's annoying us - it often lifts the anger and makes the comment just a comment, not an angry moan.

* Allow time for each other and doing things together.

* Forgiving each other mistakes - not ignoring them but actively being aware that unless by some miracle we wake up perfect they will happen, and will always happen.

* Treating each other with dignity and respect, not name calling (even if we row), not trying to judge motive, not telling the other one what they 'really' think, curtesy, listening, and building communication.

* Being specific in what we ask or expect of each other. Instead of 'I wish you would be tidier' it's better to say 'Please can you not leave your shoes in the middle of the room, would you be willing to put them under the table?' Then praise specifically for what's done. Hell, my Mum and Dad have been married for 36 years and they could do with learning that - they never seem to REALLY know what the other one wants, or REALLY say what they want.

* Being careful to be reasonable in what we expect of each other, knowing our roles and expecting each other to be responsible for their own parts, but also taking responsibility for our own part.

I can't think of all the stuff, that's just a few that I hope we never stop 'tending to'.

Last of all I hope we never stop learning about each other or knowing that there's still more to learn.
Thanks Equus, you UNDERSTAND what I am saying. Just as we can't become complacent in working our programs, we also can't become complacent in our relationship. BOTH require tending and attention or we will fall away from them. As in our programs, if we fall away, we lose what we have and risk relapse. If we become complacent in our relationships we also fall away from them and risk relapse into our old way of communication and neg. interaction. I think you understand what I mean, but it appears some here don't.
It isn't about control, it is about working on things like better communication, fun recreational time together, positive ways to compromise or work out difference, etc. Some people don't naturally have those skills and must work on them as my husband and I are attempting to do in order to BETTER our relationship.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
dax

Ok I have been married for 40 years. I do not think marriage flows along-at least on an even keel for very long. especially if you have children throwing wrenchs of anxiety for their welfare, unemployment, unexpected house and car repairs and work related stress. ADD INFIDELITY AND A MAN HOOKED ON THE PROGRAM[BETTER THAN BOOZE HOWEVER]. Throw in a hurricane that could have hit Houston ina very extreme way. I am just thankfull when things get a little boring-. For me to get off work for a trail ride for 2 days took 3 days of huge preparations- with customers calling as i was going out the door for pet sitting. I am back hiome, had a great time but am exhausted. Our marriage has been to hell and back.,extreme low to the point of divorce and sometimes even keel- like now. I am thankful for each day of not hideous stress.
Emilli- If you are depressed , I think you should see a doctor and consider anti depressants. I think you can have post tramatic stress from living with a drinking alcoholic. It takes time to recover. Not to mentiomn it is very hard at times to live with a person-'working their program.''Your condition may be treatable with medication. If it is true depression all the meeting in the world aren't going to help. Just my 2 centas worth. dax