question about hubby

Old 10-09-2005, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

question about hubby

I've been sober for 24 days as of today. I am getting there!! Now my husband is trying to quit but is still in the early stages where he'll still drink sometimes even when he says he doesn't want to drink.

I went through that for a while until I'd just said this was enough. I don't want to drink so why am I? He hasn't gotten to this stage yet.

My question(s) is this. How can I help him get to his goal sooner? Or should I even help? Should I just stand back and let him do it like I did? I did it on my own and didn't even tell him for 2 weeks into my sobriety.

So far he's been able to make it 2-3 days before he caves and drinks. Any advice out there?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

he's got to hit his bottom and want it just like you did. you can be supportive, but it's his decision. do you attend al-anon/AA? i know there have been many of my al-anon meetings that are attended by sober alcoholics for the same reason you mentioned above. just a thought and congrats on your sobriety!
Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ugh!

Hey 4health!

In my situation, it seems like my ah has to announce or ask me if it is "okay" with me if he goes and gets liquor or if he wants to drink now. I just respond by saying what he needs to hear, "It's your choice, it is always your choice." It took a very long time for those words to hit home for me, that I even had a choice, so now I drill it into his head. Maybe someday it'll mean something for him too, for now, he chooses to go get the booze anyway, but I don't interfere. My life is too short and important to worry about his choices anymore. That may sound quite negative, but setting boundaries for me is huge.

Big Hugs,
~Faithchaser