Recover or Complain?

Old 10-03-2005, 08:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Originally Posted by Gooch
nor baffled by the behaviours of the codies who spin out when the alkies they love finally sober up.

(duckin and runnin.)
Not quite sure what you mean by "spin out" but if it's anything like "freaking out," then I guess that would've been me over a year ago when my exabf became sober. He was the one taking it one day at a time, and I was still caught up on the merry go round of chaos and drama; I REALLY could've used Al-Anon back then.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Recovery and learning, Express pains (maybe aka complaining), Share / Help experiences, Encourage others, Make friends...
Old 10-03-2005, 11:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The purpose of this forum is stated as, "Are you a friend, family member or loved one of someone who is or may be alcoholic? Get support, help and information."

It does not say take the advice given to you or else get out.
Yup - that is what it says.
Get support, help and information
Which means trying to be supportive, helpful and informative - not a bad guideline for how to treat all people in all walks of life really.

As for vents - when they are about just one individual I get that, but sometimes when it's broadened to ALL alcoholics I wonder if maybe a little reminder that this is for family and friends of alcoholics might come in useful? I'm not sure though because as yet my first feeling is to try and be supportive, helpful and informative and I haven't yet figured out how to point out that name calling or gross generalisations don't help while still doing that.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gooch
nor baffled by the behaviours of the codies who spin out when the alkies they love finally sober up.

(duckin and runnin.)
Something to do with them leaving the entire family behind??? dunno...
Old 10-04-2005, 02:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dividing into two seperate camps will never help - we are far more alike than different. We have hopes and dreams, cruelty hurts us, kindness and care heals us, we want to believe in ourselves, we want to live and be happy. That's only the begining - we both have two eyes and one nose and whether we consider ourselves in the same camp or a different one, none of us have lived each other's lives so it's a fools game to think 'this group' of people reflects me and 'that group' doesn't.

If we want to bridge the gaps between us we can only get there by talking and listening with an open heart, we all have our individual stories to tell
Old 10-04-2005, 02:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by CodeMaster
Something to do with them leaving the entire family behind??? dunno...
Yeah, that can surely be the reason.
Another one could also be that without knowing it sometimes, codies and anons have acquired in the active alki/addict the ultimate renovation project/punching bag combo.
If the addict removes from the dynamic what needs to be fixed, then the outlet for the codie is gone.
In some cases, taking away an active drunk from a codie/anon is like taking away a bottle from me in the middle of a binge.
It's how it was some days with my ex-wife.
Family disease?
That's how it played out for me.

(Start the car, Gooch)
Old 10-04-2005, 03:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dan - I see that time and time again, both on here and IRL. Until I recognised the reasons why I was with my ex (and he with me), there was no hope of healing. I needed a project, he needed an enabler and rescuer. That was why it felt so right in the beginning - we truly were "soul mates" but for a terribly destructive reason.

And I am constantly amazed that people in recovery stay together - after all, the original dynamics have changed and must be replaced with something else. It is a miracle that the "something else" is discovered, imo.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
To Life!

Just a thought...
....some people are sicker than others.

Shalom!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

after all, the original dynamics have changed and must be replaced with something else.
What if the original dynamics are just loving the person? Not all their acts, not every habit destructive or not. I've known D relatively while well and worse than now sick but the core dynamic has never changed or shifted. Life has circumstances which you face - the core dynamic for us is that we face those circumstances and friends, lovers and partners. That holds through good times as easily as it does through hard ones.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by equus
That holds through good times as easily as it does through hard ones.
For some, yes.
For some, no.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sorry, I was sloppy in what I wrote. What I meant to say was in relationships similar to that of my ex and I, where the original dynamic is not love (at its core), but a destructive mutual dependency. And that is more common than I really like to acknowledge to myself.

Oh, and I thought it was love. I can now see how deluded I was. I think that's probably for another thread.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

For some, yes.
For some, no.
Perhaps that depends on whether it's mutual or one sided - I don't know but I do know the dynamics don't HAVE to change, that bit depends on what they were built on.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

OOOPS!! Sorry minnie I cross posted and now it sounds snotty! But it isn't. I know what you mean too and I thnk it's valid just not global.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

And you're absolutely right to pick me up on that. One of the many things I have learnt from you is to be very careful with generalisation. In fact, I usually screen my post asking "what would equus say to this?". It helps me temper my words. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:41 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey - I try the same to temper my words, then sometimes I think I just end up a patronising git!! Why the hell can't life be easier - I wish we could just all mind read!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I wish we all had a usb port. Like when I connect my i-river to my lap top and can look at the files. Wish we could do that with each other - would be so much easier.

And defragging - how I wish I could defrag my mind sometimes.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

And defragging - how I wish I could defrag my mind sometimes.
Remember Fraggles? I'm Red - in the flesh, honest to god, I'm Red the fraggle! I've been trying to defrag my head all my life, starting with the hair!

Old 10-04-2005, 03:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

Work your cares away,
Dancing's for another day.
Let the Fraggles play,
We're Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red.

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

I'm off dancing.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Cazza
The purpose of this forum is stated as, "Are you a friend, family member or loved one of someone who is or may be alcoholic? Get support, help and information."

It does not say take the advice given to you or else get out.
Who said it did?

Simple question. Here to compalin or recover...big difference between the two.

Part of recovery is to complain, vent, rage,,whatever. The important part is to be willing.

You got willingness?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

FOB, I couldnt agree more with your question. I do my share of complaining yes. But, I sometimes get a little frustrated that there are not more posts including eduational tools, deeper thought invoking threads, step work etc. I for example have the Al Anon 12 steps, but always feel like I want to discuss it with others and get their view on it. Sure I could go to a meeting and do it, but I like the people here and value their opinion more. Maybe I need a sponsor for that, who knows.

My point is there should be both, complaining and growth. Who wants to sit around a complain while doing nothing about it? I dont and if I did that would just make it more clear that I needed some help