HELP: Go back to full time work or work for myself or both?

Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HELP: Go back to full time work or work for myself or both?

The good news, I have a lot of opportunities at the moment!

I've been working since 16 part time, then fulltime starting 20 all the way to now. I had a good run, but now tired of full time atmosphere and really enjoy the idea of working for myself from no boss, to meeting new clients, new projects, can travel and work, and maybe earn more money. Also like the fact when I have an errand to take care of, I dont tell anybody, I dont feel guilty and I like fact I have more then two weeks a year vacation.

Last 6 years didnt take any vacation other then typical two weeks, and one year I didnt take any at all... thus I took a two months vacation up to now which I think cauesd me to get screwy in the head cause I think I'm a workaholic cause now I'm working again I feel strong agian but thats another story.

Thus, ever sice my last FT job, I've had a dream to get a bunch of client work now and travel and work remotely so I may meet lots of girls and work during weekdays.

So my problem lies in both options I have a lot of options.

Working as a consultant, I interviewed with a company a few days ago, they grilled me and tested me and if I had to score it, I got a 110% and even solved a problem they could not figure out on the spot like it was answers written on my hand that easy, they were impressed and want to offer me contract work around $60 an hour for 40 hours a week but this deal is a sure deal for only temporary about a month or two. They are most likly going to have more work after I'm done, and theyll be a long term client most likly. I also have on top of that which fills about 8 hours a day, several other smaller clients which will take up rest of 8 hours at $75 an hour for several small project gigs. I get to do what I want, be my own boss, earn good money but nothing is stable, I will spend a lot of time finding clients or negotiating with existing clients or basically doing a lot of selling / interviewing / receiving specifications.

Working full time at right about six figures. Another company with a good success record interviewed me today, it all went really well I was able to tell them any kinds of technical details as advanced as they could throw at me just fine, they have arranged for a second interview tomorrow. They have good morale, a good product, great benefits, and good pay. Thing is I got to go in office every day like before, it is not always only 8 hours a day, overtime happens sometimes, but they are very flexible I can do any errands I want anytime, they dont care how I work just as long as it gets done. I get 401k and can save on some other tax related issues.

I'm tempted to take the full time job, and do my consulting on nights and weekends like I used to do. But if I do that, I'll most likly have to limit how many clients I can work with at nights.

If I dont take the full time job, I have all day to fill up and I am certain based on the momentum that is happening already, I can fill it up from hourly rates of $50 - $75 depending on who and how long the contract is.

I'm frustrated in deciding now cause I'm afraid of regrets, or making the wrong decision, would like to hear your opinions.

By the way, my therapist saw this site, and said its pretty damm amazing!
Loves to all
Old 09-29-2005, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for that long ramble..

I think I've decided... gonna take the full time if I qualify for it after second interview tomorrow (if not aymore) and do my side gigs on the side like I used to do. So long as this is a good healthy company which from what I can tell it seems really attractive, then I think it can be a solid start as far as finding a healthy company to work for. My last one was really really really baaaaaaddd...

I'll think about travelling in the future, with my mentality in its recoverying state, it probably wouldnt be safe for me to travel.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Code, I like the way you though that through. Clarity is so important when we make these kinds of decisions.

Just something to consider - will your potential new employer allow you to work for yourself on the side? I don't know about in the States, but over here there are often clauses in the employment contract about it.

Good luck with whichever path you choose!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Code -

Saw this post..I can relate..I'm in IT as well..not a coder (I'm a codie..ha ha ha)..I'm a Project Manager/analyst/generalist..

I can relate alot about corporate america and bad companies..I worked for a BIG financial services company for 8 years..I finally left in January to become a contractor..For me - it's a little bit more freedom (no reviews and a big fat paycheck)..They want to offer me a job where I'm contracting full time (another big financial services company) but I'm going to stay a contractor...It suits me that if I don't like it - my contracting company can find me another gig..

I admire your ability to think about being out there on your own..Personally that scares the bejesus out of me (what no stability!)..It's baby steps for me..I want to go out on my own in a different industry (as a life coach) but haven't figured out how to get enough clients etc..So I contract and work on my coaching on the side..seems to be a good balance for now until I can work thorough my fears and my issues (or get enough clients to go full time)..

Anyway, remember we always have choices..So you can change your mind at any time..

Good luck with your choice!

Minx
Old 10-01-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips / sharing, I think contractor has a lot of its benefits as well as full time. Its really hard to decide, I'm hoping destiny will show me which way to go soon.

Minnie, I can work on the side its ok. Long as they dont force me sign a contract that says I cant, I can do what I want in free time.

I just went to the second interview yesterday which was actually their lead engineer passing me a task to do. Gave me two days to do it, and I will say if you can do this task, you are very skillful not to brag but I know what things only experience can teach and if you dont have the exp. you cant do that test. I thought this was a good sign for the company because they dont hire just anyone and they are very smart, I think it may work out well as FT because they are good people and nice as well.

The task they gave me is a real problem they are stuck on and alloted two days to work on it and said they didnt necessarily expect me to finish or solve it but this was going to help figure out how much they are willing to pay me. I was able to completly conquer that task last night in a total of 7.5 hours, it was a task that proves experience and maybe one of the harder problems I had to solve, possibly hardest, though not that hard.. none the less, their company was stuck on it and they have really smart guys with two ph.ds and triple master that was working on it!

I was really happy! My healthy friend here said this happiness is true happiness, the high, not like the high you get from raves / ecstacy. Anyways, I hope I impressed them, they'll get back to me Monday. None the less, even if I do get the job, I am hoping destiny will tell me if I should go FT and do contracting on the side like I used to!

Oh well, todays Saturday, no time to think about work! Its time to clean up and play a lot!!!! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 10-01-2005, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was talking to my healthy friend (lol, i like those words) and she made a really good point in helping me decide. She said of course a full time offer is attractive at this time because you havent really started your business much, its just picking up momemtum and you cant really compare the earnings of your business vs. what a full time can offer right at this moment. It has been on my heart to run my own gig for a long time and I should give it a chance to see if that works out better first in order to really have a compensation comparison even lifestyle comparison, thus I've decided to go ahead with my own business as I have some large contracts coming down the road in 2 weeks I think I'll wait for those and give cyberena.com a shot!

I feel much better now and I feel destiny has truly guided! My heart has been in confusion ever since I've been wondering about the FT opportunity, but now my mind is clear, I am excited again, no longer in confusion, I think that is a sign I'm doing the right thing!!!!!

Going to continue with buying new clothing (for meeting clients, I only have like 2 shirts or something) and setting up my home office in the 2nd bedroom which my only friend in SF has left the city already so he is gone and I want to go all out with the home office consulting idea! I get a great excuse to go to ikea and buy stuff! hahaa