He got into a car wreck and got off!!

Old 09-25-2005, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He got into a car wreck and got off!!

I don't know who has followed my story but my husband went into ICU and had blood pumped from his stomach. I thought that may scare him enough to finally quit. Since he has started really drinking heavy in the past six years he has hit me, got a restraining order, went to jail several times, had a child with some other woman and pays $1200 a month in her child support. I have thrown him out and he has wrecked into things before but never got caught. Now last friday he backed into a lady that had a baby in her car but when the police came he had already taken his keys out of the ignition and was outside of his truck. NO one was hurt and the police drove him to my house, that's it! The insurance is in MY name and it's my premium that will shoot through the roof. I am going to get my name off of his truck and he can get his own insurance. I am so mad right now I can't see straight. I want a divorce but I am afriad he will get visitations and I can NOT let my children alone with him, he's always drunk.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will start printing out emails and will ask questions. I'll prepare! Good call. Thank you and I'm glad your daughter is finally safe.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Originally Posted by stormyautumn
Florida is a tough state to deny a father his rights no matter what a low life piece of dirt he is. My daughter's father did drugs, drank and the judge still let him take her on the weekend stating "weel he is the father", they are heavily into father's rights in florida. Well she was not being taken care of, soaking wet and drity when I picked her up and this was for only 4 hours on a saturday. She went for about three saturdays and then I finally refused to let her go. The police showed up at my house and I told them to take me to jail because I would rather be there then give him my child. Well it went back to court since I refused visitation, I demanded the judge drug test us both right there..she agreed. We ere supposed to walk across the street with a deputy to the testing lab. Well he said he had to go to the atm for money which was bull because he didn't even have a bank account. He never showed up...there are also charges for him stalking me and my mother and no he has a warrant out. Haven't seen or heard from him since. If you do decide to go through with the divorce you do have to be tricky start keeping a journal of everytime he uses everything he says. It will hold up, I had presented numerous threatening emails and notes I had written about him using and his sctions around her and the judge did grant a drug screen and so forth. Best of luck to you, that is another reason I was so fast to get away from florida, there court systems are awful.
From my experience as working as a Paralegal, many of the family court systems today are corrupt when it comes to abusers and unfit parents getting visitation/custody. It doesn't only exist in Florida.

Take him off your insurance ASAP!!
Old 09-25-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I live in Florida and know the family court rules/procedures fairly well. If he is a danger to the children, you will have to address his alcoholism in court, ask for an alcohol evaluation and likely your children will be assigned a guardian ad litem (a person to represent thier best interests). With a history as you describe, it prob would not be difficult to prove his alcoholism. Supervised visation is a possibility.

Just remember, if you chose the action, you chose the consequence, so staying married when you dont want to, will more than likly bring the same behavior he is bringing.

You have options and choices...speak to a lawyer so you will know what they are.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will call and talk to an attorney. I have waited this many years to divorce because my children were not in school. Now they are 5,4,4 and it will be easier for me to put them in daycare and me work. Before it would have cost me $300 a week. So I hung in there and my plan is now that they are in school to make my move.
I would rather stay here (he does NOT live with us) and know he can not harm them by drinking and driving with them, then to divorce him and he drives away or passes out while in his custody. We'll see. Thanks for your replies.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How do you prove he's a danger to his children? HE got off of a DUI, he doesn't live with me so he can lie, he works everyday treating cancer and looks like a saint. However you can look at skin and tell. The last time he was in the ICU they said it was Gastro interitis. NOthing stating it was from drinking but WE know it was.