Going Back to Work

Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going Back to Work

TOday was my 1st day back to work and it was great! I've been there 4 years and I just do seasonal work from Sept-Feb. I love it because it's a homeless non-profit organization and the 2nd largest in the USA.

The workers are awesome and all gave me hugs and even the new people are great. The company it's self is growing, so hopefully, I can slip into a permanent position this year.

The only bummer is: This Wed. , a group of us will be going out to the Farm.

We take the new employees on tours of the other facilities. (there's about 6-7 of them) and intro them to all of the employees and show them all that goes on in these places.

My xabf is a patient out at this farm. Last year when we went, we visited the grounds and then ate lunch with the men in the program and got to talk to them. We'll be doing the same again this year.

Nobody knows that he's in there. I haven't told a soul. I don't want them to know. It wouldn't get me in trouble in anyway.....I just don't want people to know.

WHEN (and I know I will) I see him on Wed...I'm not sure how I should act.
If I should be friendly to him and say "hi" like the rest of the programmers there or just stay away from him altogether?

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hurmmm is there anyway that you could get out of going?

I have all the faith in you that you will handle and know what is right when it comes up, but maybe you could work something out so you did not have to deal with it?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Cynay.

That's just it, I can't get out of it. I already asked today (didn't tell my supervisor why, though. I don't want her to know).
Old 09-19-2005, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i'm glad you are going back to work you love and hope it opens up to a full-time position. that's gonna be a tough situation - you may feel like you can handle it but when you get there and IF you see him, it might be a toally different story. gosh, i don't have any words of wisdom for you GF!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps you should tell your supervisor. Then if you have to go perhaps you could dodge and be somewhere else while they eat etc.

He will probably tell everyone that you are his ex, so your supervisor will find out.
What do you think. Secrets are hell. usually don't work.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many of my students on Tuesday nights have homelessness in their backgrounds. What a great thing that you may be able to turn this into a permanent position.

I second the motion about telling your supervisor. Do it quietly, ask that he/she keep it confidential. If you should see him there, a simple "hi" or nod should be enough. Your visit there is work-related, his stay there is his work.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hon, I really think that someone else should know about your situation. You have no way of knowing how he's going to react when he sees you, but you can bet that he will make at least some of your history very well known. Better to come from you rather than him. And besides, I would imagine that your first-hand experience could stand you in good stead with the permanent position.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I told my supervisor and also one co-worker that I felt I could trust.We went to the Farm today and while eating in the cafeteria, xabf walked in and noticed me right away and just winked at me.

He looks happy out there and I'm happy for him. It's an awesome place to get sober, IF someone really wants to get sober.

He didn't over react and neither did I. It turned out okay.

Thanks, guys!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GF - good deal - glad everything went smoothly - we will pray that he embraces recovery!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it went well, Girlfriend. I wonder if sharing with your colleagues helped diffuse your own tension and therefore his too?

Anyway, how did they take it? You feel OK about it now?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Girlfriend....so glad to hear it went well.
How are you feeling about seeing him and having to confide in
your co-workers....
It's over now...sigh of relief I am sure....
(((Girlfriend)))
Love, Patty
Old 09-22-2005, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys!

My co-worker/supervisor didn't react too much to the information. They've known me for 4 years, so they've seen me go through a seperation and then a divorce and just really wanted me to be happy ........truly, for once.

I didn't get into the details of our up and down relationship (xabf and mine), just that he was someone that I knew and cared about and that he's working on his sobriety. They thought (that part) was neat.

Yeah, I walked away from there yesterday with a good feeling inside. He looks really happy out at the farm. TOTALLY different from the 30 day "rehab" (more like a summer camp ) he was in. This one is far more structured and has way less distractions to deal with.I think he's found his "place" and can connect with his HP out there because it's so serene and peaceful.

I'm happy for him, I really am. His face didn't have that lost, angry look on it anymore. Heck, he may even stay out there even AFTER graduating from the program in a year. I know he's tired of the stress of a big city.

So, for the first time, I was ----despite the fact that we had an awful roller coaster ride for almost a year----glad I had a SMALL part to play in helping him get to where he is compared to a year ago, drinking a 750 bottle of vodka every day and slowly drinking himself to death.

IF he chooses to work the program, the after program and live a life of sobriety.....I truly am thankful! God gave me a 2nd chance. There's Hope for all.

((hugs))
Old 09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

That's so great to hear! Maybe there is hope for some..just maybe..