Well would ya Adam and Eve it?!!

Old 09-17-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I finally tried black pudding this summer after having lived in London years ago... it wasn't so bad, but I didn't like it very much. I think the problem was that I knew what it was made of! But I wouldn't mind an English fry-up without the black pudding. Yum!
Old 09-17-2005, 01:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Enjoyed your posts, just wish I could remember , always fun to learn since my Great Grand parents came from England. WOW! I had no idea of all the different foods and names of things. Glad you are both on this sight and all others across the pond.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

" By George I think she's got it!" (from 'My Fair Lady')

Yes Equus, yes! peace IS a verb, thanks for defining for me what I'm always trying (and failing!) to describe.

Now, as for bacon butties...naughty girl putting them on my screen when I'm trying to diet! but I WILL resist, I will.
Now if you'd said Lincolnshire sausage butties Mmmm...
Old 09-17-2005, 03:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wanna know why no one has brought up bangers and mash?
Or bubble and squeak?
Old 09-17-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bangers, mash and onion gravy. I had that during the week, actually! Have you been over here, Gabe?

I have been volunteered to cook a roast for dinner tomorrow. I shall even (try to) do Yorkshire puddings!
Old 09-17-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Minnie, former father-in-law was from London.
He's the one who indoctrinated me in the ways of bangers and mash and bubble and squeak.
And Yorkshire, and plum pudding with hard sauce.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Equus, Your original post was one of the most fantastic posts I have ever seen!

EEUUUWWW, I married the first time into a farm family that butchered and wasted nothing. That called that blood sausage, it was a more loose consistency and he would put ketchup on it!! gross!

They also served it in Argentina, but more like the salami style you showed.

I won't eat it or even look at it. Aunt Dorothy used to stick her arms into the kettle to stir it and taste the seasonings as it cooked.
I always volunteered to stay up stairs and help wrap and package things!

live
Old 09-17-2005, 05:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Smile

OH, MAN!

I'm a typical "tree hugger". I eat natural holistic foods ever since my colon surgery.

So, it's a bunch of fruit, veggies, tofu, no red meat, no pork, some chicken w/o skin and some fish.
Green tea and chai lattes. And all my vitamins: E, A, D, Calcium, zinc, melatonin, gingko biloba, b12 and b6, aloe vera and ginger (good for the tummy) and chamomile.
No caffeine, no sodas (they have a 1/2 cup of sugar in each one. My biology professor told me that), no carbonation and no sugar. Only Splenda and I bake with natural sugars like applesauce.
No salt and can't eat tomatoes or sauce.

I eat 6 small meals per day and drink alot of lemon water or Arizona Diet Peach tea.

My "mom" (she's 77 and just a saint, I love her alot. She "adopted" me after my Mom died) Myrtle takes a shot of green seaweed every day with beets and veggies in it. She believes it cleans out the toxins. She's healthy as can be, so she must be doing something right.

The only thing I know about foods in other countries is from Wales because my grandparents came from there. They have Welsh tea cakes that are to die for.

I LOVE how you, Equus and Minnie talk about your culture. I have a cousin that lives in London and always has. Her boys grew up there in boarding school. It's really interesting. My daughter is over in Sweden right now recording (she's with Universal Records) and when she gets back to NYC, I'm gonna wanna know ALL about it. I've never traveled out of the USA except for Canada.

So, okay......we have food over here that sounds a little different, too.....like head cheese (who's head do they make it out of?) and beef tongue and tripe. Octopus, squid and sushi. Those aren't too bad.

Oh, I could talk about food all day........doggone it!
Old 09-17-2005, 07:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Well, the bacon butty looks fabulous (we call that a bacon biscuit in the US, although we'd add egg and cheese, too), but as for all those other english dishes you've talked about --YUCK!!! And octapus, tripe (that's brains), beef tongue, and sushi -- double YUCK!!! Girlfriend, I'm surprised you didn't mention chicken feet, pig's feet, or chitlin's (that's beef intestine) in your "delectable" array of American delicacies.

As for your bangers and mash, we have a similar dish here called sausauges in onion gravy that I've occasionally served for breakfast with grits (that's ground hominy) on the side.

And the American version of bread pudding is called "popovers," which we serve with roast beef.

I don't think we have anything along the lines of black pudding, THANK GOD!

I'm glad that you and D are doing OK and that you put your plans in action and they worked!
Old 09-17-2005, 08:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Wow GF! You sure eat healthy! That must be tons of work!! Well me, I'm pretty low maintenance. I love microwaved popcorn, Top Ramen, TV Dinners, Jack in the Box, Starbucks double tall Mochas, whole milk and xtra whipped cream, oh and not to mention I loooveee Sushi!

I'm basically a junk food junkie!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe
Minnie, former father-in-law was from London.
He's the one who indoctrinated me in the ways of bangers and mash and bubble and squeak.
And Yorkshire, and plum pudding with hard sauce.
Gabe - London is down south the only thing I know about londoners food is that they eat jellied eels! Where as we eat cockles. At least that's what I think because I've only been there once and I don't know any londoners.

Thanks everyone for making this a funny thread! Now I'm off to take D his very, very strong Yorkshire tea and down an instant coffee myself.

The sun is out, life is good....
Old 09-18-2005, 12:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yorkshire tea
I have it on good authority that this is the only tea to drink.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Minnie what about "Tetley Tea"? That is all my AHs family will drink. They think it is the national tea of England!
Oh and a good..'Toad in the Hole' is another dish this family enjoy.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
Yorkshire tea...I have it on good authority that this is the only tea to drink.
And here I thought y'all only drank Earl Grey.
As for cockles Equus...

In Dublin's fair city where girls are so pretty
'Twas there that I first met sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheelbarrow
Through street broad and narrow
Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive oh"

Apparently they eat them in Ireland too.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

They do indeed. In fact, there's a statue of Molly Malone in Dublin.....

known locally as "The tart with the cart"
Old 09-18-2005, 06:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Great pic Minnie.
She has a better...ahem...rack than I do.
But I can definitely relate to the Tart thing.
I'm thinking she's a distant relative of mine.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat
YUCK!!! And octapus, tripe (that's brains), beef tongue, and sushi -- double YUCK!!! Girlfriend, I'm surprised you didn't mention chicken feet, pig's feet, or chitlin's (that's beef intestine) in your "delectable" array of American delicacies.

Tripe is brains? I thought it was intestines. Messed up lookin' brains, if that's what they are

How about menudo? That's more a mexican dish. Or gumbo? This gf of mine fixed a BIG pot of gumbo, first time I ever had it and it had everything in it, but the kitchen sink! Fish heads, chicken bones, intestines.....it was like a treasure hunt.........lol.......

Personally, I can't eat anything that's looking at me. If it's fish, the head has got to go. I feel guilty eating it while it's watching me
Old 09-18-2005, 11:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Tripe is the inside of a cow's stomach!! My Dad likes it with Tabasco sauce!

Old 09-18-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Tripe is brains? Tripe is a type of edible offal made from the stomach of various domestic animals.
How about menudo? Menudo is made from different recipes.
A large saucepan (see note below)
1 calf's foot (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
2 pounds honeycomb tripe
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic, peeled
6 peppercorns
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
4 quarts of water
A comal or griddle
3 large chiles anchos
A spice grinder
A large chile poblano, peeled or 2 canned, peeled green chiles
The calf's foot
1/2 cup canned hominy (1 pound) drained (see note below)
Salt as necessary
1 scant teaspoon oregano

Have the butcher cut the calf's foot into four pieces. Cut the tripe into small squares. Put them into the pan with the rest of the ingredients. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, or until the tripe and foot are just tender but not too soft. Meanwhile, toast the chilies well. Slit them open and remove the seeds and veins from the chile poblano, cut it into strips, and add to the meat while it is cooking. Remove the pieces of calf's foot from the pen, and when they are cool enough to handle, strip off the fleshy parts. Chop them roughly and return them to the pan.

Add hominy and continue cooking the menudo slowly, still uncovered, for another 2 hours.

Add salt as necessary. Sprinkle with oregano and serve (see note below).

This amount is sufficient for 7 or 8 people
It should be served in large, deep bowls with hot tortillas and small dishes of chopped chile serranos, finely chopped onion and wedges of lime for each person to help himself, along with Salsa de Tomate Verde Cruda to be eaten with tortillas.

OR.....

3 pounds tripe
3 pounds nixtamal (hominy) frozen, not canned
3 pounds pigs feet (not calves) cut into quarters
1 large onion diced
1 bunch green onion cut up in 1/4" pieces
1 bunch of cilantro chopped
2 tablespoons Oregano
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 head of garlic
2 tablespoons salt

Wash tripe thoroughly, remove excess fat and cut into bite sized pieces, wash nixtamal and pigs feet well and combine all ingredient in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer slowly until corn opens and is cooked (not overcooked). Skim off grease. It is best if you can refrigerate it in order to remove all grease Serve with fresh cilantro, chopped green onion, chiltepin, limon and toasted bolillos.

Gumbo....there are loads of recipes.
Either recipe there are people who like this stuff.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Girlfriend
Or gumbo? This gf of mine fixed a BIG pot of gumbo, first time I ever had it and it had everything in it, but the kitchen sink! Fish heads, chicken bones, intestines.....it was like a treasure hunt.........lol.......
Okay I object.
I strenuously object.
Gumbo, real gumbo, does not have fish heads, chicken bones or intestines in it.
Chicken, yeah.
Smoked sausage, yeah. (all the better if it is andouille sausage).