Another job dilemma

Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Another job dilemma

I have to make an important decision about a new job I got. Yes, it's awesome I got a new job, but I wasn't so sure I wanted this particular one.It all happended so fast.

I have been working with a job counselor, and his friend from college needed a new receptionist. The pay was kind of low, and I wasn't so sure I wanted it, but he encouraged me to go in for the interview anyway. He said it would be good practice, to build up my interviewing skills. So I agreed and went to the interview. A few days later they wanted to set up a second interview with the other Lawyer in the office. The first Lawyer seemed like a real, ecotistical person, wasn't to thrilled about working for someone like that. The second lawyer seemed ok, although he said some things that made me feel a little uncomfortable. The office consists of four men; two Lawyers, and two interns. They all have gone to the same college, and to me it seems like a "good ole boy" type environment, by some of the things I heard at the interview. Not my ideal environment.

Also, there are no benefits, and the pay is low, but, I really need a job. I thought about taking it, until I find another one I like better and that maybe has benefits, but then I start to feel guilty about that.

Also, the job counselor said he would try to negotiate a better wage for me, and has tried a little bit, but the guy won't budge. I just feel like my job counselor isn't trying hard enough, as it's his friend. In the meantime, I'm trying to go with my gut instinct, and that is not to take it, but yet my head says "you need the money bad!!"

How do I go about negotiating the salary that I want, without being turned down altogether for this job?

I have given it all over to my HP, but sometimes have a hard time knowing what it is I should be doing..

Any thoughts....??
Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Savana 54
In the meantime, I'm trying to go with my gut instinct, and that is not to take it, but yet my head says "you need the money bad!!"
If you can hold out..I'd listen to your gut..

In December, I had a firm job offer (letter in hand) and another job offer that I knew was coming..I also was going to be let go at my current job..

My gut told me to wait..So I gave notice to my company, turned down the firm job offer and took a leap of faith..

I got the second job a week later, and I met my new boyfriend at my new company..

Think you know what the answer is..
Old 09-15-2005, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Savana 54

Also, there are no benefits, and the pay is low, but, I really need a job. I thought about taking it, until I find another one I like better and that maybe has benefits, but then I start to feel guilty about that.
It depends on how badly you need the money. There is nothing wrong with taking a job to pay the bills until something better comes along. You don't have to feel guilty. The good-ole boys can take care of things if you left after only working there a short time. You may end up liking it and making connections that could end up in future jobs.

If you know you will be absolutely miserable there, then don't bother. But like I said, you could try it and if you don't like it you can leave... that really is allowed!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks minx for your input; but yet at the same time, I'm barely making ends meet. I quit my other waitressing job a week ago, because I couldn't handle all the drunks and addicts using the restaurant as their party place, while I was there to work...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish I knew but I don't. Sending a prayer and good wishes your way for some guidance. Maybe something else will come up, or maybe can you say you'd do it just for 2 months or something? Don't know...but something, something will work out for you eventually - you keep on going you are doing great ((savannah))
Old 09-15-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

My job counselor wants a decision by tomorrow at 10 AM. I just emailed him and said I would try and start in a week from Monday; but yet I don't even feel comfortable with that either. I don't know what to do...I just wish another job would come through, so I wouldn't feel so guilty about not taking this one.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Savanah. You know what? Sometimes our HP sends us signals like that bad feeling in your gut. Sometimes we know intuitively what the right thing to do is. Re-read your post. Do you notice how many negatives you listed in describing the job?

I had a similar situation awhile back. I'm a contractor and the company I work for put a lot of pressure on me and tried to railroad me into taking a FT position. My gut kept screaming no, but I vacillated back and forth for 2 weeks. I was miserable. I am still there and you know what? I am so glad I didn't take it. Way too much pressure for too little pay.

My thought is that you come go back to them tomorrow with a the salary figure you want. If they won't budge, then say thank you and walk away. I've noticed in life that when I set and keep my standards (not accepting less), I am rewarded with more than I'd asked for. I have faith that if you do walk away, your HP will take care of you AND something wonderful will come along.

hugs.

phinny
Old 09-15-2005, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks Phinny!!

I just never know what my HP has in store for me, nor do I know the signs when HP is working in my life.

I guess my Dad always said "beggers can't be chosers," and in this situation I'm the begger with no job. I think thats when the employers take advantage of you. I will pray some more on it.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

OK.....go find a waitress job. Look for a non drinking place.,,
Ryans I Hop Steak & Shake...etc

Lower tips but mostly sober people.

Turn down the low paying man only office.
No venefits is the deal breaker.

You will be seeing a good change soon...Hugs!
Old 09-15-2005, 09:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Originally Posted by CarolD
Turn down the low paying man only office.
No venefits is the deal breaker.

You will be seeing a good change soon...Hugs!
Thanks Carol!

But, the waitressing jobs never have benefits...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hon, I have learnt to ALWAYS listen to my gut feeling. Trust it.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's hard to say what to do but I will tell you this, 7 years ago I was "downsized" from a job that I absolutely loved. I got a severance package and was also able to collect unemployment, I also had a 3 month old baby at the time. I thought I would take my 6 months off (since I would be paid during that time) and then start to look for something new. Well my greedy, selfish, self centered husband (now ex-husband) threw a fit and harassed me into looking for a new job. So I sent my resume in response to an add in the paper. I interviewed 2 days later and got the job. I did not want this job!!!! I went in for a weeks training and had set my mind that I was not going back on Monday morning - I would send a letter stating I quit. Of course hubby had a fit again so I decided to stick it out a little bit longer. 7 years and 3 months later I am still there and I love it. It is the best job I have ever had and the only way they are going to get rid of me is to fire me. So maybe you could give this job a try and see what happens.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks for all the replies! Although, I still don't know the answer. I hope it comes soon; sometimes I don't know if it's my gut instinct, or just my screwed up thinking..?

I will continue to give this to my HP, although I'm still waiting for the answer as usual..