Could it be a sign??? Do you believe?

Old 09-15-2005, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could it be a sign??? Do you believe?

I have been struggling with the personality of my boss. She is the one that use to stress to me about leading by example, be on time for work, don't extend your lunch hour, no personal calls at work (she reamed me on this one once b/c I was talking to my dad [who called me] about my step sister who had been arrested....I work at the jail and he wanted me to see if I could get more information) and not using cell phones while working. WELL, lately she has been late for work, taking two hour lunches, leaving early, shutting her office door to make personal calls, and using her cell phone (I know she does cause I figure out her bill).

Anyway, I feel totally underappreciated. I feel like she's dumping more of her work on me and she has more play time. She has money and LOVES to talk about it....which is really hard for me to listen too cause I'm struggling so bad.

At the end of July I asked her to talk to the Chief about getting me an increase in salary. I just can't continue to feed my kids on $65 every two weeks, and my car is not going to last too much longer. Well here it is, in September and she still hasn't talked to him. She says she is going to wait till this one lady retires and give me some of her work load. This way she can justify the reason for giving me a cost increase. This lady is never going to retire....

I've been talking to a friend of mine and work and keep joking about quiting one day.

I have 11 years in and can retire before I turn 51....plus, awesome benefits.

So today, my sister calls me and tells me about this posting for the City Board of Health. Beginning salary is $2000 more than what I make now and I fit all the qualifications. There are some job duties listed that I've only sort of done, but for the most part, it fits. Now, my sister has no clue what I do at work or how miserable I've been....but she saw this and e-mailed it to me. Ironic, I think.

I don't know what to do. Yeah, I need the money, but I don't want to give up 11 years. I can transfer the retirement, but 11 years. That all I've known (sound familiar....kind of the same thing with my AH). Like moving on with him, moving jobs is very scarey too.

Anyway, I'm just giving this some thought and was curious what you all thought.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's my take.

You don't like your job.
You don't have to give up your retirement.

I would RUN to pick up that application, I would type it neatly and submit it exactly as they request and then, I would pray to God that he open that door to me if it's His will.

NEW CHEESE! Go for it!
Old 09-15-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not crazy, just a lil unwell

When you're higher power sends you a rowboat, don't wait around for a speedboat. Go for it! Perhaps you need to mention to said boss that you looked into it!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like my job....I just don't like my boss.

Oh...I think I can transfer my sick and vacation time too...I need to check on that.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jessica,

I was at the same company (different jobs) for 8 years before I switched jobs in January to a new company..my higher power saw fit to give me a BIG PUSH out the door..

Haven't looked back once..Change is scary but good..Think of all the good that will come out of a new job..

Minx
Old 09-15-2005, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

What's your gut telling you to do?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gelfling
What's your gut telling you to do?
I don't know.

I guess this is like everything else in my life....I'm stuck in my comfort zone and not ready to move on yet. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a question. Guess I need to stop complaining then
Old 09-16-2005, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your gut will be telling you something - you just can't hear it because of the chatter in your head.

What have you got to lose? What have you got to gain? A list might help you here.

(((hugs)))
Old 09-16-2005, 12:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go for the interview... if you get it, it was destiny telling you time to move. Destiny will take care of you one job or another... youll always be taken cared of, doenst destiny take care of the birds and little worms on Earth, it'll definitly take care of you so no harm is seeing if thats what destiny wants you to be.

Besides, you dont like your job, its not healthy to stay in such environment, the cost itll hit your health will be more expensive then trying to keep a familiar setting .

Best wishes J.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

$2,000.00 more per year? per month? If money were motivating me $2,000. more per year is only $166.00 more per month and part of that will be eaten up in taxes. But 2gs per month more I would hop right on that....if money is a motivating factor.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jess, I like what Gianna said....in fact, I liked it so much I am going to do what she suggested in my own personal quest for a new position....thank you both for kicking me in the rear to do something about my own situation.....
Love, Patty
Jess....even if this position doesn't pan out...keep your irons in the fires, something great will turn up....good luck!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can always go for the interview and, if you get the job, then make your decision. Maybe once you get there it won't have some of the things that you need it to have........and maybe it will.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gianna you hit it on the mark in my opinion!

Im in a similiar position too... this is just the post I need to jumpstart my thought process in careers too!!!!

Change is hard, but usually very exciting and nothing but growth can come from searching and finding a better fit in jobs. No good boss expects someone to stay in the same position forever, especially as financial need increase. Keep posting, I really need to hear this.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I definetly believe that God talks to us through other people and opportunities.

The fact that you don't like your boss and are thinking about a change AND this new job just pops up at the same time, I think is definetly a sign. It may not be this new job opportunity, but it could be one down the road.

((hugs))
Old 09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just wanted to give you all an update.......I didn't submit my resume. I've decided that I didn't want to quit a job that I really like and have had for 11 years with people I love just because of one person. The money would have been nice, but money isn't everything.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you Jess....makes sense to me....
Old 09-23-2005, 02:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

if that is what your gut is telling you jess than you go with it. ((jess))