Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

What do you do when they send suicidal text messages, e-mails?

What do you do when they send suicidal text messages, e-mails?

Old 09-16-2005, 10:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, LVWD......I am SO sorry to hear about all of your loss. Especially, your son! You have certainly been through alot. God bless your heart

It's true, if the suicidal person thinks that people are watching them and are gonna call the police on them for a 72 hour hold, they'll say just about anything to get out of that. "I'm fine.....it was just a bad day"...."I'm gonna do this with this person......etc'.

Telling people that they're gonna kill themselves is not a typical comment. It's pretty serious. It shows they are definetly thinking about it otherwise they'd never say it.

I've been through some rough times in my life like everyone else, but I've never once thought about suicide or talked about it. It just wasn't an option for me. Doesn't make me any better than anyone else, it's just that the ones that really think about it and talk about it.........could possibly do it.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I recently had my husband commited Baker Act against his will by calling 911.

He had a bad reaction to a prescribed medication and was harming himself.
Even tho' we have accrued a huge medical bill, he understands that I did it out of love and recognizes that he had snapped and needed help, even tho' at the time he fought the cops like a mad man.
His health and well-being is more important than any amount of money or whether he was going to be mad at me or not.

I have lots of these stories. To me it is not a gray issue at all.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

liveweyerd- I'm so sorry for your loss! I know that has to be the worst to lose your child...My sister&I had our mom "302'd" (I think that is what it is called, against her will) by the police and they took her to a psych ward years ago and she was diagnosed as bi-polar and has been fine ever since, since she is now on medication..My AH says he is coaching the soccer practice tonight..I will be considering doing this and I'm sure his family is going to call me now since I left that message..
Old 09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

live...
Thanks for your post, I now take back "Go with your gut" our gut could be wrong.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for your sympathies and condolences. I think I have pretty much come to peace with it as much as is possible.

I believe there are some statistics but not enough on suicide in the grief and loss forum.

Few people are aware of what a leading cause of death it is. It is like either the 2d or 3d largest cause of death in young men in late adolescence and early twenties. Another peak of risk in men around 40. And a serious high incidence rate in the elderly.

When I had my hubby hospitalized, I donated my books to the staff of the psych ward, so I no longer have my reference materials.

live
Old 09-22-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Originally Posted by liveweyerd

It doesn't matter whether it is meant as a cry for attention, manipulation, or a goodbye, ethically even professionals are required to breach confidentiality and report when someone expresses a tendency to harm themselves or others.

In summation, there is no question in my mind as to what is necessary with any suicide threat. Call 911.

It is not up to us to decide the motives, intent or seriousness of any threat or plan.
Let's assume that there thinking or saying that indicates that they are in trouble because it does. And do what the professionals are required to do, call it in as a life threatening emergency.

live
Liveweyerd:

Thank you for your wise comments. You have lived through the most horrible thing a parent could ever have to face.

Robin