I Am Desperate for Insight - Please Help Me

Old 09-13-2005, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Am Desperate for Insight - Please Help Me

My situation with my husband has left me so desperate, alone and low that I can't even see the light of day. I need some help.

My husband has been sober for about 10 years. After our first child, I quit my job working downtown and got a job working as a cashier at a low-end retail store. It was a big drop in pay and self esteem, but as we needed the money and our babysitter dropped out on us I had no choice but to work evenings and weekends.

It was a hard job, but I got to like it after I realized how much I was helping people. I advanced to a small management position and then to a job giving out charitable funds to local groups in need. I felt useful, but as I got pregant with our second child, things began to go downhill. My second pregnancy was hard due to the placement of the baby, and I ended up with premature labor after moving boxes out of our apartment 6 months pregnant, a 8 hour shift at work, and Thanksgiving. Thank goodness it stopped, but I had to get restricted hours at work.

Restricted hours meant less pay, and we started to get behind. I used to lay awake at night, feeling contractions and saying nothing because I had to work because we needed the money so badly. Finally, after our son was born I decided 2 things: I needed some time off from working, and I needed to address my dysthymia, which is a constant low-level depression that I have had since my 20's. I was physically and mentally exhausted. My husband's alcoholic father had also died, and my husband's behavior and outlook begin to deteriorate. So I took a year off from work and started on antidepressants.

Big mistake there. The antidepressants worked, all right - I wasn't depressed but I wasn't anything else either. Everything was like a big white hum. My husband said he would leave me alone so I could just figure out what I wanted to do with my life, but at that time all I wanted to do was sleep. I didn't work for almost a year or more. Our finances tanked, and remain tanked. It was all I could do to summon the energy to take care of our two kids and take a shower every day. I never noticed that he was growing a great resentment against me, which gets larger every day.

After a year, I got off the antidepressants and started to wake up. He made very clear that in his opinion, I had wasted my year or so off and that it was all my fault for our now desperate financial situation. And it has gone downhill from there. I now have at least 4 work at home jobs - one totalling $500 a month - but to him I am still not doing enough. No matter what kind of jobs I do, it isn't enough. Childcare in the area costs around $200 a week, and my oldest just started half-day kindergarten while the youngest is 2.

His hate of me is evident in almost everything he does. My opinions are always challenged, my thoughts questioned, my ways of doing thing criticized. I feel like I am getting squished smaller and smaller every day. I have taken responsiblity many time for the money situation, which is made worse by the fact that I have a college degree in an area that I no longer care for. I labor every day with 2 kids, 4 jobs of various degrees, and all of the housework. The criticism and disdain are constant. I am dying a little every day, and I don't know what to do. He wants me to get a part time regular job like the retail one I used to have, but then again he can't stand it when he can't go as he pleases or has to do housework or cook dinner. He wants me at home and wants me to make a bunch of money.

The constant criticism and disdain for everything I say or do has me so low. I don't want to raise my kids like this, but to leave would condemn them to an even worse financial situation with a mom who feels about 3 inches tall and can't stand the line of work she was trained for.

I need help dealing with the constant resentment against me. It's like my punishment for not working and our financial situation never ends.

Sorry for the long post - thanks for reading this far.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rune, you are in an overwhelming situation.
There is a way out, you just have to take it one step at a time.
First, and most important, you need to start telling yourself that there IS a way out and believe that, believe it with all your heart.
Next, you need a plan.
Each day, you do something to make that plan happen.
Those things that you do are your building blocks to a better life.
Check out social services in your area.
Check out the women's shelters.
You may not be being abused physically, but you sure are being abused emotionally.
No one deserves to be told they are not good enough day in and day out.
Women with children can and do leave their husbands and end up leading happy, fulfilling and financially feasible lives.
I know women, some of them from this very board, who once felt as you did.
They are now living on their own and free of the emotional abuse that they once knew.
You can be too.
I lit a candle for you this morning.
I hope the light finds it's way into your heart.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

There are all kinds of state funded services that can provide the help you need. I know here in michigan we have a state funded place called turning point, it is for domestic violence, sexual asssault, things of that nature. I agree with Gabe, it sounds like you are suffering emotionally. One suggestion I have is counseling for yourself a---plus it is is free, you don't have to pay anything. Also if you think your marriage is salvagable, maybe you can try couples counseling. Those are a couple of places you could start. I hope it helps...it helped me.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome RC,i can so very much relate.You have told some of my own life,story here.You are no longer all alone.Everything i am,was just not good enough,according to hub,.Healthy, well being,folks just dont go around cutting up another,saying awful hurtful things.I give to others,all that i think/feel about myself.I didnt know this at the time.He gave me what he was feeling/thinking about himself,had nothing at all to do with me.But the problem was never what he said.The problem was that i believed what he said about me.All of it.I accepted what he said.Because i had no self-love,no self-esteem,.So in a way,i was in agreement with what he was telling me.If i had been healthy myself back then,mentally/spiritually,i could have many choices.I could have laughed,him off,shrugged my shoulders,not taken him so seriously.I could have done anything.I chose to be hurt.He wasnt going to stop,this i knew.I needed healing inside of me,no matter what loved ones or anyone says about me.Im hurting so i need help.For myself personally{this was before i went to AA and Al-anon},i got this self-help book,by Dr.Wayne W Dryer.called Your Erroneous Zones,and later by the same auther,Pulling your own strings.I do not have the power to change another.I can though make changes in myself.This auther puts the total focus on me,not others.This i just luv about this Doctor.Blaming others for the way im feeling,does not help me.I needed to work on me.When finally i came to recovery programs,these programs enhanced what i was already learning from Dr.Dyer,only going deeper,into the spiritual tools of recovery program.And this has worked for me.Mental abuse,is very serious.Its been said,by many Doctors,than it is equal to phyical abuse,only longer lasting.The mind goes over and over all the hurt,time and time again.All my problems have had a spiritual solution.Through prayer/medition,and using the tools of recovery programs i thankfully no longer see mental abuse from words of another.Because the truth for me,is that this is a sick person,throwing their sickness towards me.No more no less.When i shrug my shoulders,and pray for this sick person,this changes my heart and mind towards them.I cant, God can and will help me when im open to recieve.When i stoped feeling awful about myself,praying/working focusing on myself,my,recovery,and healing,and stoped feeding the fires,he eventually stoped,all this "stuff".It was no longer working for him.To detache with love.To seperate the sickness of another,of who they really are.No one hurts me,abusing me without my own permission.Replacing the words abuse,to sick has also been helpful.If i go back to thinking another is abusing me,I,will get pissed,off.So i just dont go there,anymore...smile.I see others not as they really are,but who i am.No one hurts me,without my own permission,where i have allowed this.Turning the tables around.Showing love to another,who just cant love themselves at this time.Now im free..Within myself and outwards.
Thanks for letting me share,
God Bless and take care,
My prayers are with you both,for healing inside.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RuneCaster
My situation with my husband has left me so desperate, alone and low that I can't even see the light of day. I need some help.

My husband has been sober for about 10 years. After our first child, I quit my job working downtown and got a job working as a cashier at a low-end retail store. It was a big drop in pay and self esteem, but as we needed the money and our babysitter dropped out on us I had no choice but to work evenings and weekends.

It was a hard job, but I got to like it after I realized how much I was helping people. I advanced to a small management position and then to a job giving out charitable funds to local groups in need. I felt useful, but as I got pregant with our second child, things began to go downhill. My second pregnancy was hard due to the placement of the baby, and I ended up with premature labor after moving boxes out of our apartment 6 months pregnant, a 8 hour shift at work, and Thanksgiving. Thank goodness it stopped, but I had to get restricted hours at work.

Restricted hours meant less pay, and we started to get behind. I used to lay awake at night, feeling contractions and saying nothing because I had to work because we needed the money so badly. Finally, after our son was born I decided 2 things: I needed some time off from working, and I needed to address my dysthymia, which is a constant low-level depression that I have had since my 20's. I was physically and mentally exhausted. My husband's alcoholic father had also died, and my husband's behavior and outlook begin to deteriorate. So I took a year off from work and started on antidepressants.

Big mistake there. The antidepressants worked, all right - I wasn't depressed but I wasn't anything else either. Everything was like a big white hum. My husband said he would leave me alone so I could just figure out what I wanted to do with my life, but at that time all I wanted to do was sleep. I didn't work for almost a year or more. Our finances tanked, and remain tanked. It was all I could do to summon the energy to take care of our two kids and take a shower every day. I never noticed that he was growing a great resentment against me, which gets larger every day.

After a year, I got off the antidepressants and started to wake up. He made very clear that in his opinion, I had wasted my year or so off and that it was all my fault for our now desperate financial situation. And it has gone downhill from there. I now have at least 4 work at home jobs - one totalling $500 a month - but to him I am still not doing enough. No matter what kind of jobs I do, it isn't enough. Childcare in the area costs around $200 a week, and my oldest just started half-day kindergarten while the youngest is 2.

His hate of me is evident in almost everything he does. My opinions are always challenged, my thoughts questioned, my ways of doing thing criticized. I feel like I am getting squished smaller and smaller every day. I have taken responsiblity many time for the money situation, which is made worse by the fact that I have a college degree in an area that I no longer care for. I labor every day with 2 kids, 4 jobs of various degrees, and all of the housework. The criticism and disdain are constant. I am dying a little every day, and I don't know what to do. He wants me to get a part time regular job like the retail one I used to have, but then again he can't stand it when he can't go as he pleases or has to do housework or cook dinner. He wants me at home and wants me to make a bunch of money.

The constant criticism and disdain for everything I say or do has me so low. I don't want to raise my kids like this, but to leave would condemn them to an even worse financial situation with a mom who feels about 3 inches tall and can't stand the line of work she was trained for.

I need help dealing with the constant resentment against me. It's like my punishment for not working and our financial situation never ends.

Rune, Do you go to AA or Alanon? There are 12 Steps in the Program that helped turn my life around. By that, I mean, I learned how to cope with life on life's terms. We cannot give you advice. But, I can promise you, that it can get better. Remember in the "How It Works" chapter the three a,b,c's? The last being, "God could and would if He were sought." (out of the Big Book--Alcoholics Anonymous.
I am wondering if you could do some other professional job with your college degree??? Remember, you did not put all of those years of study and hard work fonothing!!! You have an "up" on folks--actually, too numberous to even count! Perhaps you can even contact your old college for ideas. Don't give up. There is always HOPE!!! Trust God--but take some action for YOU! Be good to yourself.
God bless you! Marji
Old 09-13-2005, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RuneCaster

Rune, Do you go to AA or Alanon? There are 12 Steps in the Program that helped turn my life around. By that, I mean, I learned how to cope with life on life's terms. We cannot give you advice. But, I can promise you, that it can get better. Remember in the "How It Works" chapter the three a,b,c's? The last being, "God could and would if He were sought." (out of the Big Book--Alcoholics Anonymous.
I am wondering if you could do some other professional job with your college degree??? Remember, you did not put all of those years of study and hard work for nothing!!! You have an "up" on folks--actually, too numberous to even count! Perhaps you can even contact your old college for ideas. Don't give up. There is always HOPE!!! Trust God--but take some action for YOU! Be good to yourself.
God bless you! Marji
Old 09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rune...

The only prison is the one in our heads...

Heed Gabe's words...
make a plan.. work towards it...

even if you dont' go... at least you'll know it's possible...

that will go a long way towards you regaining your self worth and self determination....

you just stick close to SR here... (and if you can see your way clear... face to face support meetings) ...
lots of strength.. support and wisdom here...

praying for you... for belief in yourself.. and the strength to believe you can make your life worthwhile... for you.. and your babies.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Rune)))

You've recieved such great advice! As the others have said, Gabe was right on. Make a plan, make some calls, map out YOUR future!

The best thing about this place is someone is almost always around and many have been where you are. They can tell you what worked for them and what failed miserably and we can reach out to one another if we feel ourselves begin to slide backwards.

Welcome! I hope we'll see more of you.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

All I can add is a "sober, recovering" person does not blame, critisize his wife they way this man does, as you say. He is either actively using, or a dry drunk.

His words reflect the way he is feeling about himself, just projected onto you.

Al-anon is the only way that has returned me my self-esteem and ability to live a happier, fulfilling life. ake your kids if you dont have a sitter..bring toys for them, sit in the back,,,just get there!