OT: Had quite a scare last night

Old 09-05-2005, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

OT: Had quite a scare last night

This has nothing to do with alcoholism, but I had two disturbing events occur this week, so I thought I'd share them with you all, and get your feedback on what, if anything, I can do.

I took Thursday off of work to have some work done on my car, so I decided to mow the lawn while I waited. I was mowing away, not paying attention to a thing, when my daughter, upon returning home from school, stepped into the backyard to tell he she was home.

She found my neighbor in the house directly behind me had propped a ladder up against my fence, was leaning over it with one arm and masterbating with the other, while he watched me mow the lawn. He got down as soon as she noticed him, leaving the ladder still propped up against my fence.

I hadn't told my daughter this before, but I'd always felt that he was watching me. But I dismissed it as "just my imagination." Well, this confirmed my suspicions, and I've since learned it's import not to dismiss such feelings.

I drove by his house, wrote down his address, and then immediately called the police and reported the incident. An officer arrived and told me there was nothing he could do since my neighbor was not on my property at the time. Apparently, he has to be on my property to be classified as a "peeping Tom."

The officer said that, at the very least, this constituted lewd behavior, but since my neighbor was standing behind the fence and my daughter only assumed he was masterbating in public, that nothing could be done.

Then early this morning (4:00 am), I woke up to one of my dogs standing beside my bed and panting nervously. I asked her if she wanted to go out, and she immediately ran downstairs. I called all four dogs and asked if they wanted to go out, but only two came downstairs with me.

I opened the back door; the dogs went down the deck and into my fenced yard. I had to use the bathroom myself, so I decided I better lock the back door first. No sooner had I started to leave the room when my one of my dogs barked in a way I'd never heard before.

I opened the door, and called them inside. My Lab mix was lunging at the fence along the side of my house. Once the dogs were inside, I went upstairs to look out the bathroom window (it's the only window on that side of the house). I didn't turn on the light so I could get a better view.

I didn't actually think I'd see anything out of the ordinary. But to my surprise, I saw a man, dressed all in black, with a flashlight prowling around my next-door neighbor's house. He checked the basement windows on the side of the house and then headed towards the back, shining his flashlight first at the foundation, and then up higher, into her kitchen window. I didn't have my neighbor's phone number to warn her, so I turned on all my exterior lights to let him know I knew he was there and immediately called the police.

I reminded the dispatcher of the incident I had reported on Thursday, and suddenly they weren't dismissing it as nothing anymore. The intruder was long gone by the time the police arrived (it took 15-20 minutes).

He checked out my neighbor's house, asked me a few questions, and then left. He never awakened my neighbor to discuss what happened. So, this morning I went next door to tell my neighbor what happened, and she found that the screen to her back door had been tampered with.

She was alone in the house with her two children, since her hubby works the night shift. What disturbs me the most is that this man was intent on entering her house, knowing full well that she was home. So needless to say, I'm concerned for my neighbor's safety and my own safety, too. I'm hoping that my 6-foot privacy fence (which is locked from the inside) is a deterrent, as are my four dogs, and that he won't be bothering me, but I can't be sure.

What also bothers me is that he didn't leave when my dogs noticed him behind the fence. He just waited for me to go back inside and assumed that I'd go back to bed. I'm so glad that I decided to take a peek outside "just in case."

So based on his earlier bizzare behavior on Thursday, I'm wondering if the man last night was my neighbor, or if it was just a related incident. Don't know if burglars tend to return to the same place after a failed break-in attempt or not. But I'm feeling really uneasy.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Hey FD...

Geez, Im sorry to hear of this stupid pervert invading your space this way. You did everything within your power it seems. I would suggest a few ideas,,take what you like, leave the rest.

Mail him an anonymous letter, indicating it is from the entire neighborhood, informing him you know of his perverted behavior and that the neighbors have formed a watch system and will be constanting monitoring him and if he acts out again, you will call police imemdiately.
(I think you should also mail a letter to all your neighbors, or put on thier front door, informing what has occurred).

Get all the security devices to protect your homes as best you can.

Take down the type of car he drives, license tag # in case he stalks your street, you can have the info immed. available.

You and your daughter take self defense classes.

Sleep with a machete in your bed!

Kinda drastic, but better to be safe. Good luck, honey, I feel for you!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this Geez there are so many fu*ked up people in today's society. FOB has some really good ideas. I would definately get the word out and about in the neighborhood, about this pervert.

Something very similiar happened to my little sister a long time ago. It really bothered her and I think she ended up going to counseling.

I can't say for sure, but I think both of the incidents may be commited by the same person. Sometimes people that have disturbing behaviour like your neighbor, don't stop at lewd behaviour. Eventually it will escalate to even more violent crimes. I can't believe the police didn't do much.

If it were me, I honestly think I would buy a small handgun, and learn how to use it. I don't mean to scare you, but these type of things happen a lot to women. You need to learn how to protect yourself.

Please stay safe..

(((((((((((FD))))))))))

Hugs,
Savana
Old 09-05-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep - that would un-nerve me!!

I'm glad you have your dogs and I think phoning the police so quickly was spot on. If it was your neighbour prowling hopefully he will have seen the police arrive and taken note that you pay good attention!

I know what you mean about the different sounding bark - I heard the same one from my big one once, however it was only a tree cutter up a tree that spooked her. I knew instantly it was very real full on defence to her though!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you checked names and addressess of sex offenders in your city??
Might have to go by name and car lic# as they seldom report their moves.
Do be carefull.
How about writing a note to all neighbors addressess suggesting a neighborhood watch, but don't sign it other than "concerned person" in case they are friends of his.
Please do be carefull, Hope you can afford a security system.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got his address, and I checked the VA State Trooper's Registered Sex Offenders list. He wan't on it. However, there IS a registered sex offender on the same street. He was convicted of sexual battery. I wasn't sure what that was, so I Googled "what is sexual battery?" Apparently sexual battery is forcibly having sex with a person against their will. Sounds like rape to me. How it is different than rape?

Is sexual battery something that normally occurs with one's wife/girlfriend as opposed to a stranger? Not sure what the difference is and if this man is a threat to the general public, me, or just his current partner.

Anybody know?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Hi FD,
I found this info. Maybe it will help clarify the difference.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defines rape as the carnal knowledge of a woman by force and against her will by a man. Since the legal definition of forcible rape is so restrictive, the term sexual assault is often used to cover a broader range of sex offenses, including attempted and statutory rape, incest, sodomy, molestation, sexual battery, and any type of sexual behavior involving children. Rape is the most common form of sexual assault.

http://www.health.state.ok.us/progra...ence/rape.html
Old 09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sexual Battery: Any unwanted touching of an intimate part of another person for the purpose of sexual arousal. "Touching" means physical contact with another person whether the individuals involved are clothed or unclothed. "Intimate part" means the sexual organ, anus, groin or buttocks of any person, and the breast of a female. (Penal Code Section 243.4).

I found this on a judicial affairs website. I guess it means that intercourse doesn't need to have occured.

What a scary thing! Good thing for the dogs. I'd be putting lots of motion lights up outside and the idea of letting other people know is a good one. Who knows how many other people have had this person stalking around and didn't know it.

It's illegal to bear arms where I live and although it sounds funny when I lived alone I slept with a great big knife in my bedroom. The way my place is set up, there's only one way out and that would be through and intruder. Abf still gives me a hard time because I always lock the door when he leaves, even if it's just for a few minutes. Hey, when you're a woman living alone you need to be careful!

Take care, and I hope they catch this pervert. Even if the guy at night wasn't your neighbor, he sure is a sicko too. Yuck!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow Fd, that is scary. I second the suggestion about buying a small handgun and the self-defense training. Motion detector lights are great too although with 4 dogs your backyard might look like a strobe light if they run around like my 2 dogs. Another thing would be to set up a video camera if you have one and record what goes on in the direction of his house. Stay safe and good luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

How is everything today FD? Hope all is well with you and your situation.

Hugs,
Savana
Old 09-06-2005, 11:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are motion detectors that will turn on your sprinklers. They've been used successfully to deter graffiti - I wonder if he got wet every time he snuck into or accross a yard if a)he'd get tired of being wet and b)perhaps he'd leave a wet trail for the cops to follow (like a slug)!

Seriously, please do whatever it is you need to do to keep safe. Bright lights, motion detector sirens...whatever you need.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oh yes, please do put some of the suggestions in motion. that is just alittle too scary for me. at least you have your dogs though. sometimes i wish i could have one just for that sense of protection.
to me any kind of sexual charge is not a good thing...not someone i want around....even if it was their wife or girlfriend.
and see,this is what i dont understand, what pisses me off about the police.....why did THEY not look up the sexual offenders in that immediate area THAT NIGHT....and go talk to the guy. just see where he was,what he was doing,how he reacted to their questions. no, they will wait till something really bad happens.
but i sure hope not...............take care and be careful.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Those are the same questions I wondered, too, Sunshine. I think a female officer would have taken my complaint more seriously. I was afraid to fall asleep on Monday night, but everything has been quiet since then, thank goodness. I'm having floodlights installed in my backyard and a motion-sensitive light installed on the my side yard. I also plan to set up a video camera the next time I'm doing yardwork to see if we can get this guy on film. But if he continues to "peep" from his yard, I think there's nothing that can be done about it, even if I have him on film.

My next-door neighbor stopped by on Monday evening and said that he had caught the "peeper" crossing between my yard and his a few days ago, and that he'd ordered him off his property. Don't know why he'd be passing through our yards, since he lives on the court behind me. If I could catch him peeping from my next-door neighbor's yard, then perhaps the police would take my complaint more seriously.

But for now everything is quiet and I'm sleeping fine again. Thanks for asking.

FD
Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

im in a hurry cuz im on lunch,but i was just thinking...i could swear i have seem some things on tv in recent months about peeping toms and their getting caught and prosecuted. (some states?) are really cracking down on them.wish i could remember just what and where what i saw! you have no idea how this whole thing irritates me!!! i will keep my eyes open for any info i find for you on these types of things.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Former doormat- Your story sounds a little familiar to what happened to me a couple years ago..I bought a house and I had a next door neighbor that I always said hello to and then 1 day I was in my backyard laying out but with a t-shirt and shorts on and my husband was upstairs putting in an air conditioner..He saw my neighbhor tip toe along side of the fence and was peeping at me..Then, the neighbor went upstairs in was peeping at me from his bedroom..my husband came outside and waved to him..A couple months after this incident, we were cooking out and this neighbor came into my house in the foyer and my daughter was sleeping in the living room. My husband chased him down, beat him up and the neighbor went to jail..The neigbor had a history of being a peeping Tom..Anyhow, I got a security system after that incident because I never felt safe in that house again..(The neighbor got 1 year in jail, then got denied parole when he was due to get out, so he spent another year in jail and then died of hepatitis)..I was relieved..Guardian Protection is the best! Any time I accidentally set my alarm off, they call immediately. Please protect yourself! I'm glad you have the dogs..Take care..