Having Troubles

Old 09-02-2005, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Unhappy Having Troubles

I am at college and i just finished my first week of classes. My roomates name is Amy. At first I though she was a nice person and that now i don't think that. Two times now she has came in in the early morning and was drubk. I wanted to get away from this in my family so I came here. Now i ma dealing with it again. This is a dry campus but maybe the rules do not apply to her. I do not want to be in this situation anymore. I am not strong enough to go through this right now. I miss my family alot and i wish I was at home with them right now. I tried watching a movie with girls on my floor but I really don't want to. Classes are okay and professors are very nice. I am just an emtional basket case right now. I don't even know why I am here anyone. in high school I did everything and now I have come here and I am not working or doing activites becasue i was only doing them to make people prou of me no I have no reason to do things. I don't want to do thiungs for me and I just want to do things for others. It does not matter to me what I do to make me proud at this time I am at college for my education and that is just what I want. I am not sure what is going on with me but this is not what i though having a roomate would be like.
Shana
Old 09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Shana:

I know it's somewhat difficult to switch roomies in college, but I'm sure if you explain your background and all the pain that alcoholism has brought to your life and why you can't tolerate drunkenness that the folks in charge will help you find a new roommate.

You don't have to suffer in silence. You can set boundaries and ask for what you need.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Shana: Well; first week under your belt.........been a LOT of new things,right? so give yourself a break and chance to get used to people,place,things; get into a "habit",etc...takes most people a little time to settle in.

As for the roommate sitatuation; do you have an RA or some residence hall director? If so, go talk to that person about options. Chances are the "partiers" will be anxious to be with other like-minded people, so there are bound to be people looking to switch roommates. Talk to someone about it would be my suggestion. Or even a switch on your floor?

Hang in there, and don't be so hard on yourself! Remember how upset you were a few weeks ago when you thought you weren't going to be able to go?

Have fun, try some new activities,etc.....just for the sheer fun of it, and just to see......that is what the best part of college is.......a chance to meet lots of dirrerent people with different ideas,etc and learn about new things.including things just for fun!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Shana...

HP hasn't brought you this far just to drop you!

I know that you will be ok through this new difficulty. Sometimes it helps me to remember that, even though I may not know what the solutions are, I know that there are solutions, and they will be presented to me if I keep doing the next right thing...

I think the suggestions above sound pretty good. Please don't let this stumbling block throw you off your path!
Old 09-03-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone that helps me alot. I think i do need to remember that my High Power is still there for me. I went to go try an Al-Anon meeting last night but no one was there so on Monday I am going ot call around. does anyone have an 1800 number I can call to check for other meetings in the Ashland, Ohio area. I want to tell My RA but if I do my roomate will get into trouble because there is to be no alcohol on campus so I am hoping it will not happen again but if it does I am going to say something. Thank you for all your positive words of encouragement. My mom is coming to eat lunch with me I am glad about.
LOve,
Shana
Old 09-03-2005, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Hi Renee,
It is kind of scary to go out on your own, isn't it? I'm trying to live my life without my xabf. I too, have to work with other alcoholics/addicts. It makes me feel really uncomfortable. I guess there are just a lot of people in this world that have drug and alcohol problems. More then I had thought.

If you google Al-Anon meetings on Ohio, I'm sure it will bring up the meetings closest to you. I know how you feel about not wanting to say anything about someone else's drinking effecting you; especially in school and the workplace. Hang in there, sounds like you will get this figured out.

((((((hugs))))))

Savana
Old 09-03-2005, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((Shana)))

You can always talk to your room mate first before you report her. Tell her how you feel about drinking and if you feel you should report her if happens again tell her that too that way you won't be pulling any punches. You have a right to not have to put up with her drinking and you do have the rules behind you. Don't let some elses bad choices ruin your experience and don't let anyone make you feel guilty either.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks slpendra. I know i need to talk to my roomate and I am trying to wait til I can do it calmly. In a fair for both of us. I think things will be okay I just need to take one day at a time and too take care of myself first thanks,
LOve,
Shana
Old 09-03-2005, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first semester in college and away from home is always so difficult. Hang in there and do what you know and use what you know.

You'll be great Shana and you'll do great too! I'm rooting for ya, you're doing great so far!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
kansas

If you are not an alcoholic, I might suggest you see if there are any alanon meetings around to help you thru this difficult time.

Praying for you always!

kansas
Old 09-04-2005, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Shana, here is the Ohio Alanon web site. I don't see Ashland listed anywhere, maybe you could call and see which of the listed meetings are closest. Sorry you're having a tough time adjusting to college life. You'll get through it, I just know you will.
http://www.ohioal-anon.org/
Old 09-04-2005, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. I thing I found a meeting about half a mile or so from here. It is tomorrow so I am going to check it out. thanks for all your help and support.
I know that i will make it. things today are much better and I just need a meeting so once i find one I will be good
Love,
Shana