Lots of drama at work; alcohol and drug related....

Old 08-27-2005, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Lots of drama at work; alcohol and drug related....

I'm about ready to lose my mind at work. Most of the cooks and kitchen staff abuse alcohol and drugs. Last night me and another waitress could smell marijuana inside the restaurant. Two of the kitchen staff were MIA. Sure enough they were smoking pot right outside of the restaurant. The owner knew about it and didn't say a thing. This is somewhat of a more upscale restaurant, so I'm suprised he doesn't seem to care about it's reputation.

Last week one of the cooks was in the bathroom smoking crack. We all smelled a funny smell in the bathroom and later he confused to one of the other waitresses what he was doing, as she gave him a ride home. A few of the cooks just came out of work release, and are desperate for jobs. The owner (my bosses husband) knows this so he doesn't pay them much besides minimum wage. I guess in turn they have an understanding. Not getting paid much= being allowed to do drugs and drink while working.

A few times I caught the staff sneaking hard liquor into their glasses. The mentality of these people just shocks me. I don't trust any of them. And what also suprises me the most is the boss could care less. I don't want to work in this type of environment anymore; I'm in the process of looking for another job, but I can't find one soon enough. I just don't want to be associated with this insanity while working anymore!!!

What if the restaurant is reported to the cops or local Liquor Control Board? I hope I wouldn't be in trouble, if they do get caught.

I hope a week is enough of a notice to give when I decide to leave...
Old 08-27-2005, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks Gianna!

Yes, it is so very difficult to work within this type of environment! I truly think I've also grown or that maybe my xabf's disease has changed the way I look at addicts/alcoholics. A few years back, maybe I wouldn't have been so freaked out by it...I dunno..??

I could see if it were some sleazy, dumpy bar, but this restaurant is very nice. I feel kind of bad for the people that do eat there.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have worked in a restaurant and it can be a hardened crowds lots of smoking and partying, but this sounds like over the top. I don't blame you for looking eleswhere for work. Not a real positive place to be. Good luck in your job search and hope you find something really soon.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I guess if I ever decide to be a drug dealer, I'll be eating out a lot!

I'm sorry you are going through all this discomfort, Savana... I hope you find a solution that works for you.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try to remember there are your problems and there are other people's problems.
But it sounds like you need a better paying job anyway.
I used to work in the banquet dept of a 4 star resort. It would blow your mind.
Between courses, we would hang out in a circle outside the banquet hall, inside the kitchen and pretend to pass around joints, coughing, holding our breath all vying for the best act. In front of everybody including the CEO. At weddings and similar things we would be on break during the band and dancing and then come back for the clean up...people would split and go get high, one gf would go thro' the carwash to smoke crack, many took real pot breaks, others bar breaks and yes, some of the best and most respected always had their cokes spiked with liquor.
The police dept was across the street. One time they asked to use the unseen part of the hotel, staff parking and security entrance to train drug dogs. Management told them hell no and get off the property. They would have lost most of their best staff and they knew it, there would be practically no one left to work.

Drugs are just common in the restaurant staff. I even notice it when I eat out, who is cranking, who is hungover, etc etc.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Free from Weed!

I can realate, every one I work with smokes pot at luchtime and comes back stinking and acting stupid. I hate being around them like this and I am tired of cleaning up their mistakes. Worste part is its the boss and wife who get everyone high so I have nowhere to run. The bosses brother is the only straight person so I talk to him about how stupid they are, he agrees.

I can't really leave this job but I am tempted to say screw it somedays. I try and talk to them and tell them to save it for after work but you know the saying about leading a horse to water. My girl deals with the same thing at her job, and comes home often disgusted with the folks she has to work with. Its wierd how before we were clean we did'nt notice this stuff but now we see how stupid people are/we were.

Hang in there, everything happens for a reason and maybe the new job will be a blessing. Good luck!

Adam
Old 08-27-2005, 09:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try not to allow them all that free rent in your head!

I DO understand. Even in my professional office career, drinking is the norm, almost a requirement, and several are pot smokers as well. Not socializing can be political suicide.

It is not a healthy atmosphere to be in, I know. But it is so common, we have to find some method to deal with it. It is just a part of this society. I don't like it, but I can't change it.

live
Old 08-27-2005, 10:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks for the input..When I was in college, I worked as a cocktail waitress. Many of the staff smoked pot in the back; I guess that was to be expected working in a bar and late hours until 2 am, but I guess I have higher expectations for an upscale restaurant. I guess I just think of it as a more classier establishment.

I realize drugs and booze are everywhere these days, but you don't see a lot of people in the more professional careers coming to work high and drunk, at least I've never dealt with that when I worked in a professional office setting.

Maybe I'm being to sensitive. I'm trying not to let it bother me, but they don't get their work done and act stupid while they are high and drunk.Not to mention they are using knives and hot fryers, and most of the waitstaff have to walk through the kitchen at times, to get bottles of wine or champagne. It kind of worries me sometimes, not to mention it's dangerous. I'm there to get paid and do my job; not to party!!

I guess they have already had a few fines from the Liquor Control Board. Not a good sign..
Old 08-27-2005, 10:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Too many of our waking hours are spent at work, so it is too much time to spend unhappy and annoyed. Quality of life is important. Are you seeking other employment?

I did see professionals coming in high on pot: and hungover was common, a couple of times field agents came in after drinking and was obviously tipsy. AND affairs abound.

I am staying in this notoriously rowdy field because I love the money. I just remember why I am there. I am overpaid. That makes up for alot. Helps me overlook alot.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Originally Posted by liveweyerd
Too many of our waking hours are spent at work, so it is too much time to spend unhappy and annoyed. Quality of life is important.
I couldn't agree with you more!!

Yes, I'm looking for other employment.

I guess I'm not making enough money, to make up for the other things I have to deal with. I guess you have to weigh the options.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good wishes coming your way for a new and better employment environment :-)
Old 08-28-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks cloudy! (((())))
Old 08-28-2005, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Savana,

You know what's scary? I worked in a medical facility for years. It was for older people.

EVERY weekend, if not during the week, the employees would smoke pot downstairs in the basement, with a HUGE cloud of smoke around them, others drank there, a male nurse smoked crack in the med room and he'd sign off medications that he was supposed to give the elderly to sleep.

Instead, he'd keep them, sign that he gave it to them and then traded those sleeping pills on the street for more crack.

THen, take care of the older folk!!! I surely wouldn't want my elderly parents (if they were still here) to be medically treated by an addict.

I went to nursing school back in 1984 and in my class, there was 80 students. 2/3 of them drank and smoked like freight trains. Yeah, it is a very stressful job, being in the healthcare profession. But.........., I cannot tell you how many Doctors I smelled alcohol on their breath.

Some psychaitrists, therapist and counselors use drugs, too. The drugs are right there in the locked up cabinets.

Good luck finding a new job, Savana! I'll pray that you get the one that God wants for you!