Old 08-19-2005, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello. I just happened to stumble across your site and I'm glad I did. My story is I started dating this guy about 8 months ago. I noticed right away that he was a heavy beer drinker. I didnt say much at first or let it bother me because we would see each other here and there and most of the time we would be out where it was very socialy acceptable. After about 5 months of dating we decided to move in together. He would come home from work and have 10-20 beers be drunk and pass out on the couch. About a month ago we started talking about marriage. I told him that I didnt want to get married unless his drinking got undercontrol. He was very nice about it and told me that he knows he is an alcoholic. He has been going to AA meetings for the past couple of days. My question is what can I do to support him on his journey?? He has already brought up the idea that maybe I should go to some of the AA meetings with him and I gladly accepted. I plan on being in this for the long haul. My dad was an alocholic, I've been around it all my life and know what I'm up against. I already told him that I wont drink just to be supportive. Is there anything else that I can do for him??
Old 08-19-2005, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Welcome, millersgirl...

If you've grown up around alcoholism and have it around you now, you might stand to benefit from attending Al-Anon meetings. "Open" AA meetings are a real eye-opener as well, but Al-Anon deals with alcoholism from the point of view of the relative/loved one who's affected by the disease.

My belief is the best thing a person involved with an alcoholic can do for themselves and the alcoholic is to attend Al-Anon---and SR's a pretty good place too!

I wish you peace...
Old 08-20-2005, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome millersgirl.

I agree with ncp - al-anon meetings are where you can learn to be supportive without being controlling and enabling.

Living with an alcoholic is a rough ride and if you are intent on staying on the rollercoaster, the more support you have around the better. SR is great for that - check out the sticky posts on this forum and the nar-anon one. Also, you might find some useful information on the Adult Children of Alcoholics board as you have a family history. Also, the book "Co-dependent not more" by Melody Beattie is worth getting.

Hope you stick around here.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You need Alanon meetings for yourself. Don't wrap yourself up in him, you need to take care of you.

Ngaire