Remember the eggs post? Food intolerances and addiction.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Remember the eggs post? Food intolerances and addiction.

I'm sat here in absolute SHOCK! Some folk may have remembered me posting the effects food intolerances seem to have on D - especially eggs!

At the time that held a fair bit of my attention as I carefully watched his diet (I shop and cook) but since then although I still take care I haven't watched it as closely and his egg eating has increased. Since then my awareness has broadened so much and my initial feeling about the food intolerances seemed a bit over blown.

Then today I find this:

Addiction and Chemical Intolerence: A Shared Etiology?

A WHOLE MASSIVE CONFERENCE ON JUST THAT SUBJECT!!! It's co-sponsored by NIEHS, NIAAA and NIDA, three of the LARGEST US addiction/alcoholism agancies!

Maybe my first feelings weren't so left field? D needs to see this - maybe he needs to go right back to where we came in and get re-tested for food intolerences.

For those of you who remember the egg post - this is too big a conference to be just coincidence right? I mean I just checked the NIAAA site for new stuff - I'd long ago stopped looking for info on this.

The original 2004 egg post - further apologies to Chy, 'cos I'd had a lousy weekend and was a bit of a smeg head!
Egg post
Old 08-16-2005, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I have written about this before but I believe all alcoholics need to be on the "yeast diet". Get a copy of the book "The Yeast Connection". I started this diet when I quit drinking 20 years ago and know had it not been for this diet my ability to quit and stay quit would have been in hampered.

I know you are impressed by these organizations but they are light years behind what is already known by many. I guess it depends on where you are looking for the answers...there are plenty of real scientist out there not playing the money game finding real answers and bringing them to a public that are tired of waiting for the powers that be to get off of their butts...I fear I would still be a drunk or even dead had I depended on modern science to help me all those years ago...
Old 08-16-2005, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I believe you and I hold a radically different view of what is and isn't science.

After having had 2 doctorates (both unrelated to this - they were geologists!!) as lodgers what impresses me is the level of work they have to put in to get published, the extent to which they discipline their own minds and their ability to exist in an arena where their beliefs will be constantly challenged.

If there really are people light years ahead I would suggest they buckle down, produce their evidence and achieve journal publication.

I think the thing that impresses me the most, the thing that is iconic to science is the question mark at the end of the conference title.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As my Doctor told me about my son, we most often crave the very things we are allergic to.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

There are plenty of journals published...they are just plain ignored by these organizations that have the to power to sway the masses. Oh these organizations have plenty of power.

Hey I admit I swim against the tide. I am the one who refused a "test" on the first day of school because they hadn't taught me anything.

I am sure I do not know anything now either. I just never did like my body, mind, and spirit to be subjected to Drs. who think these organizations got it going on. It seems to me that they want to kill my imune system,heart,liver,lungs,and brain while putting large doesages of toxic chemicals causing me to have worse symptoms than the disorder they are working to supposively heal.

They can poo poo and,discredit people who think like I do all they want. I think I would rather call my freind the Geologist and consult with him about how can I find the best source of the minerals that my body is lacking because it is striped out of the foods I buy and how can I assit the earth that I grow my vegies in to ensure optimal nutritive value.

I don't know about your country but, the FDA here has huge power over what goes into foods and meds yet there are lots of people me included that do not care what the FDA says and are not particlularly impressed by their approval or the good ole boys at the AMA and would love to see them tore down and new standards put into place. As long as the hipnotized marjority rules the wheels will turn slow.

Another thing I doubt I could learn anything from someone I agreed with...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Splendra,

The background reading (see link on site) for this challenges AMA assumptions, is anti insecticide, and even pro 'Gulf War Syndrome'!! In fact it challenges a large section of disease research.

I think these may be the people that ARE on your side! Read it and see what you think.

What I love about science is when people do get their act together (as these guys have done) the debate will be raised - let the best man win!

The NIAAA site impresses me because it releases and publicises research regardless of whether or not that research support 'their' beliefs. I like the freedom of information and the process of science - ie the question mark that goes with it!

As for asking geologists about healthy minerals - uhmmmmm.... I suppose you'd have to meet the two I know to get why I wouldn't be doing that in a hurry. To say they are focused is an understatement, but they're focused on stuff you can whack with a rock hammer without any blood!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I guess I am getting a little cynical waiting for what is already known to get approval,and put to use for all.

How will I be able to live in a world that agrees...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

^^^ Chances are you won't have to for long. Time will make fools out of you, me, and them - it's the journey that's fun! And along the way we all learn which has real impact on real lives.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Interesing thread. I have recently started following the "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" diet which outlines all the foods that are good -neutral- and damaging for each blood type. I crave starch when I'm under pressure and it is the worst thing I can eat. The diet is designed to keep your blood sugar neutral and your body working at its best.

I think there's some truth to the research.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Beautiful-

"Eat Right 4 Your Type" A fine example of a scientist who spent years in research and who published his work!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IMO the egg post should be brought back up.
Desert Eyes posted excellent info on the egg post along with others.
Allerigies are very real, and sensitivities to enviromental toxins etc.
I knew an excellent Dr. called a Clinical Ecoloigist. he was first a chemist and left no stone unturned. I have seen extreme mood changes in his clinic. I have heard great stories from his patients.
The AA Big Book says, "We found we were allergic to alcohol". So true.
We have to never touch it, but with food we can give it up for 15 days, then have all we can eat ONE TIME, then give it up again for 15 days. The body will cope with the one time. Cannot have at noon and more for eve meal or snack. Has to be all one time only.
I saw a young man extremely depressed, he could not add simple #'s, his writing could not be read. He was sensitive to the fuel oil furnance and to the bottle gas cooking stove. Once his body was purified he had an excellent mind, beautiful handwriting.
It was amazing. We all need to know about this. Our fav food or smell is probably what causes the problems. "We crave what we are allergic to" Desert Eyes on egg post explained it well.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

does this mean i'm allergic to sex?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

Thanks for sharing that equus. Sorry I didn't get back to you just one of those day's. Though I remain somewhat skepticle I do side with the concept of the food intolerances possibly triggering particular destructive behaviors. Again, thanks for the info!