Honor others

Old 08-15-2005, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Honor others

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>This is a page out of the book
"One Day My Soul Just Opened Up"
By Iyanla Vanzant

Pg 136:

Okay, I admit it. I felt guilty. "Why me?" I'm not special! We come from the same place! Why did God pick me to rise and my brother to fall? How am I supposed to enjoy myself, progress further from where I came, and leave my sibling behind to suffer? Was I blessed or cursed? It made absolutely no sense. He was older. He was more intelegent. He was a man. I remember something I read once in a book entitled God's Little Answer Book: "To trust God means to move ahead with your heart when you head says it can't be done." Was that it? As a woman had I been able to trust more? To feel more of God? To quiet dominate thoughts and follow the dominate feelings?(God says) It didn't happen because you were a woman; it happened because you choose to allow it to happen. You are living the results of your choices.

I was almost there. I had 10 minutes to figure this out and fix my mascara. Mentally I made a column A and a column B. In column A I listed the truth as I knew it.

My brother is a child of God.
My brother is endowed with all of the attributes of the Divine Mind of God.
God loves my brother and wants the best for him. God will give my brother anything he asks of Him.
God has always been with and always will be with my brother.
God will forgive my brother for all of his misdeeds.
God has sent my brother to earth to fulfill a divine mission that only he can fulfill.
My brother is alvie through the grace of God.
God knows exactly what my brother needs,and is willing to give it to him at anytime.
What looks to me like suffering and struggle is the way my brother has choosen to learn his lessons in life.
God knows my brother better than I do, because my brother was created in the image and likeness of God.
I love my brother but, I cannot help him.

In column B I mentally listed what was appearing before my face. More important, I listed my judgemnets and perceptions of the situation that were based on my own fears.

I think my brother uses drugs and alcohol as a way to escape his pain and fear.
My brother could die and, I would feel guilty about that.
I think my brother wants other people to feel sorry for him and, that makes me very angry.
My brother is wasting his life.
I want my brother to want what I want for him because I think that would make him feel better. I know it would make me feel better.
I really don't know what plans God has for my brother.
WHen I see my brother I feel powerless.
I feel ashamed of my brother.
When my brother asks me for help, I get angry because I think he should be helping himself.
When I was where my brother is, I did not feel the way I feel now..
I am mad at myself because I seem unable to convince my brother that he can do better.
I really don't know what is better for him.
I really do want God to help my brother.

Oh my God! I wasn't crying for him at all! I was crying for myself. For my fear and anger! For my shame and guilt! Now that I have had this brilliant revelation on I-95, what am I supposed to do?!(GOD says)Love thy brother as you love yourself. Honor him by hornoring his choices.

But he is killing himself!
The Father knows what he neeeds before he asks!
But he is not asking!
Praise the soil that the spirit can grow in him!
Praise my brother for wasting his life?
Praise the truth that you know about him! Honor the truth that you know about God!
Don't I have a responsibility to help him?
Your responsibility to God and yourself is to honor him!
How do you honor someone who does such horrible things?
How do you honor the truth in column A?
So praise him for being a child of God who doesn't work,feels sorry for himself,uses drugs,and calls me to borrow money he never pays back? Praise him for dishornoring my parents? Praise him for not staying with his wife and not raising their son? Praise him for waithing until he was 43 years old to get involved in criminal activity?Praise him for that? Honor him for that?

No for that you must forgive yourself. That is not who he is.That is what you judge!
How can I praise him when I am so mad at him and afraid for him?
Praise him and see the good in him no matter what your eyes behold. See him as a spirit, not as a body. Praise him silently in your heart for being a child of God. Praise him openly because you love him. When he comes to you for help help him in ways that bring you joy. WHen you cannot help him tell the tryth. Do not say you do not have when you do. That does not honor what God has given you. Do not say you cannot do say you will not do. Honor youself for the right to choose;in this way you honor him for the choices he makes. Only thru the truth can the light and the power of God remove darkness. Only when you honor your brother not as your brother but, as a perfect creation of God can you honor God within yourself....

This passage in this book brought so much clairity to me several years ago that I have almost memorized it. You can substitute my brother for my sister, husband, wife, son , daughter,friend, grand child, mother , father, grand parent, aunt, uncle,niece, nephew, or person on the street....I hope you found some enlightenment...
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Remember this: nice has a hiss
By Lisa Roberts
<!-- / sig --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2> </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 08-15-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow - awesome splendra - thank you - i can insert several people.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well, this is a keeper. thanks Splendra, this helps me keep some perspective on all of this.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this part sort of caught my interest

"What looks to me like suffering and struggle is the way my brother has chosen to learn his lessons in life."
Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am glad someone is getting something from this..

I agree with you ((((Cloudy))) that one also knocked me for a loop...
Old 08-20-2005, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

bump
Old 08-20-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks for this Splendra! Definatley gives me something to think about.

Hugs,
Savana