Not been here before!

Old 08-13-2005, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not been here before!

Hi there,

My husband stopped drinking nearly 8 years ago.

It has been really tough for him recently. He's not a great talker and I think that's where the main problem lies. He lets things build up in his head until he is fit to explode. We have a major row, clear the air and life goes on. Much like when he was drinking. Then he would go on a bender for a few days, sort out the problems with drink and life would go on for him. Maybe not for me.

He's trying to get some counselling for himself and I just hope and pray it helps him.

It's a nightmare. I am walking on eggshells, trying not to rock the boat. I don't know what to do now.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

has he been working a program of some type - AA? If they don't work a program the behaviors don't stop, just the drinking. is there al-anon that you could check into?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Welcome Magicflower!!! My husband sounds alot like yours he doesn't talk when things are bothering him. He eventually explodes when he can't take it anymore. I think this is part of the reason he is struggling with his recovery. He needs to learn to tell someone when he is tempted to relapse. I'd love to know how to get them to start talking about things!!!! Kerry
Old 08-14-2005, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tried Al-anon a few years ago but couldn't get my head around it. I think it is the right time to go back.

My husband went to AA for about 2 months when he stopped drinking but said it wasn't for him.

I'll encourage him to go back and hopefully he will be able to talk his issues through with someone.

I am so glad I found this site. It is amazing to think that there is some else out there who understands.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

magicflower - read up on dry drunk syndrome. that's when they quit drinking but don't follw a program to take care of the behaviors associated with alcoholism. give al-anon another try - it takes a while to "get it" but definitely worth it!