Al Anon Protocol Question

Old 08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al Anon Protocol Question

I have e-mailed this question to Al-Anon WSO twice and have yet to receive a response, so I thought I would ask it here and see if anyone could reference any CAL that might help address it:

I am looking for guidelines on how a group conscience meeting might most effectively be run and how decisions might most effectively be made in them. There is one member of a particular group I attend who seems petrified to death of even the idea of change and always tries to prevent any decisions from being made by any kind of vote. Basically, her attitude is that if she doesn't agree with something that everyone is comfortable with she will try to keep the discussion going forever -- if anyone suggests that there has been enough discusion and we need to take a vote, she starts to go on and on about how the concept of voting is against al-anon principles and that we can only make group conscience decision if everyone reaches some kind of magical consensus, which is clearly never going to happen if she is in the room. This seems patently ridiculous to me (as well as a huge waste of everyone's time and very self-serving on her part) and I thought it might be possible to put it to rest once and for all if there was something in al-anon approved literature that indicated that voting was not "un-al-anon."

I tried to look up group conscience meetings in the service manual, but there are really no guidelines whatsoever. I would be very grateful for any help you can give me about this -- Chris tiana

Thanks in advance -freya
Old 08-12-2005, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wouldn't the 12 traditions have something to say about what is going on?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tradition 2.
Many groups have found themselves in predicaments because Tradition2 was not fully understood and observed.In al-anon,there is no such thing as individual authority.All groups decisions are arrived at through a.........majority......agreement,reached after all elements of a problem have been considered.We call this agreement the 'group conscience'.
Some members may have an inherent tendency to dominate everyone around the,carrying this behavior into the Al-anon group.Unless this tendency is self-checked through growth in Al-anon,the group may find itself controlled by one individual.If this happens,the group has the ability to change this situation and to preserve the spirit of equality through the use of Tradition2.
Theres more on this in the Al-Anons 12 Steps and Twelve Traditions...

Last edited by Cap3; 08-12-2005 at 05:57 PM. Reason: adding
Old 08-12-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Make a motion. Simple at that.

Whatever change you are suggesting, you announce what you are proposing, say " I move to change ______________ )fill in blank)..ask if there would liket o be discusion about it,,the group takes turns stating thier feelings, asks questions etc...if it goes on too long, you again say "I motion to ________" will anyone please 2nd this motion"? IF someone does, then you take a vote. Majority rules. Simple as that.

Sounds like this woman is dominating the group, which is a huge issue here in one group. Fear of change stagnates us. Dont attempt tp make too much change, it will freak everyone out. Baby steps,,,just like what we use to change ourselves....good luck!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all; I would definitely feel comfortable doing as FoB has suggested...and everyone else will just be relieved that I'm doing something and follow along (I wish it wasn't that way, but that does seem to be the way these particular ladies are mostly -- which is why this one person has been able to have so much control just with her pasiive-aggressive BS.)

freya
Old 08-14-2005, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Hi,
I’ve been in Alanon for over a year now.
I’m on 2 fund raising committees and have been in many 'group conscience' meetings.
Now this one person must understand that majority rule as far as a vote, plain and simple.
If the group as a whole has a problem with this, then advise them that you will take it up to a higher level.