Coming out of the closet.......

Old 08-11-2005, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming out of the closet.......

I admit it I am a Sex and the City fan. Not just a fan but, an addicted fan.
When it first came out I didn’t watch it but now that it’s in re-runs I am hooked!
Anyway, interesting episode last night. Carrie (who writes sex advice in a newspaper)
Recently broke up with “Mr. Big” a gorgeous, wealthy non-committal man of 43. She hangs out with 3 other mid -30 year old women. She was driving them nuts with her Mr. Big obsession. Finally, they told her you need a shrink!!!! Against her better judgement Carrie went to a high profile shrink. When told she is the best, Gweneth Paltrow goes to her, she gasped “What for?” Her friend responded.”Too high self esteem!!!”

Too High Self Esteem….hmmmm…..Got me thinking, we have low self esteem from poor relationships and self loathing, we go to a shrink with the premise of raising our self esteem……get better hopefully….now we have to worry about it becoming TOO high self esteem….LOL

I remember when I was 20 something, I too suffered from High Self Esteem, thought I was the sh*t. How did it happen that I lowered my self-esteem to the point of allowing myself to become involved with an A???

Bottom line on the show…Carrie kept picking the wrong men….or were they picking her….a light bulb moment came on towards the end of the show for Carrie…. She knew she was picking the wrong men…..Just made me think a lot and thought I’d share….
Here’s to making better choices…..
Love, Patty
Old 08-11-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow...

My sponsor tells me my picker is broken... she is probably right.

You know, I was ALOT smarter in my 20s then I am now too... I had high self Esteem, probably too high. Maybe all this I went through is just God balancing me out?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think my picker is broken to....LOL In my 20's it didn't matter, oh so much time ahead...now that I am 40 it MATTERS....lol
Old 08-11-2005, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ROFL... yep, me too Im in my 40s and BOY does it matter now!

I dont have time to keep picking wrong, nor do I have the stamina to go through this chaos again.

Can anyone tell me where the picker fix it shop is? I want the 1 hour fix, yea yea I know, Im at the fix it shop (al-anon) and there is no quick fix. Does not stop me from wanting it though
Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love that show too... it is so easy to relate to! I saw last night's episode too and thought it must have been aired just for me at that moment! I recently started seeing a therapist because I keep obsessing over a certain someone that no longer wants to be with me, and my friends who are tired of hearing about it, told me to go see a shrink. And the shrink told me the same thing, "You are picking men that are bad for you," and "We need to stop it before it becomes a pattern." If you watched both episodes you know the significance. Anyway, that show is like mild therapy to me. It shows me that my problems aren't all that uncommon. If only there was a quick fix.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

............lol..........Patty! That's funny. I've never watched that show. Maybe I should (or shouldn't. I've heard there's "gorgeous" men on there)

I'm in there with ya'all. I'm in my 40's, too, even though I act like a 35 yr old (or younger cuz I volunteer with youth rock bands. Keeps me young and I'm a big kid at heart) and my picker needs fixin', too.

So, when you find a good one, let me know, k?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cazza...unlike Carrie and the girls on the show...I just don't have such a wide range of great men ( or maybe they are not so great...lol) to choose from...not to mention their ability to bounce back so quickly after break ups...no codies on that show...lol but you are right I too look at it as my mild form of therapy which I am sure to someone may sound really demented.......have a wonderful day!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are right, they do bounce back quickly, or at least they don't let it depress them to extremes. Carrie and Big though - I guess we all have a Mr. Big, or something similar, unfortunately mine is not rich! Maybe when I turn 30 in a month the rich ones will suddenly be asking me out. Hey, a girl can dream.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you go girl..........dream as "Big" as you can............
Old 08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and by all means ...... KEEP ON DREAMING......

I say we start a picker fixer club!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cynay...come on now...how are we gonna do that......we're all in the same boat...lol
Old 08-11-2005, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well that works for me... we will start with a bunch of members then *laughs*
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am trying to reset my picker. It involves watching quite a bit of TV, though, which is a real shame.
When I'm watching shows, I notice which characters I am attracted to and why. That's a real chore, particularly when it comes to Mike out of Desperate Housewives. Hmmm.... I've noticed that as I get further in my recovery, I am attracted to more of the "good" guys and fewer of the bad ones. Better to be training in front of the TV instead of on real people.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OMG what a wonderful idea.... SEEEEE the club is working!

I would never have thought of that and its sooooo simple and safe. Your amazing Minnie
Old 08-11-2005, 04:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I love that show as well! I wish they didn't end it. I'm in my 30's as well and can totally relate to the show.