Vent

Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Angry Vent

Today has been a long day for me. I was turn down for a loan for college because of my parents creidt. What makes me really mad is that my mom told me they would approve it and in the back of my mind i thought they might. I feel like my mom was lying to me and it hurt me a lot. Then when my dad came home he gave me a hard time and said if no loan no college and for me that broke my heart becasue this is my dream and if this dream does not happen then there is no reason for me to be here anymore. I am blaming my dad because he is the one that ran up 6 credit cards and did not tell my mom and took loan on top of loan out on the house and the money just seemed to disappear to some where but it was never used for what my dad said he was going to use it for. i hate my dad for this and I wont talk to him at this point right now.My dad is ruining my future because of him being an alcoholic he maybe thought he was just hurting himself but he hurt me more. My dad is not drinking now but that does not just make everything great pass actions are hurting my education right now.

Thanks for listening,
Shana
Old 08-10-2005, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Renee)))

Sorry to hear this. I am thinking that your HP has a better solution lined up for you.

My thoughts are with you.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 08-10-2005, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Credit reference agencies

Hi Renee

So sorry to hear this has happened.

Were you turned down because of a report from a credit reference agency.? Did you apply for the loan.? Just a thought, but over here in the UK, one can "disassociate" themselves with the credit reference agencies from others living at the same address, even if you have the same name. Worth a try.

much love
JC
Old 08-10-2005, 01:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Renee
Don't be so hard on your parents. I don't think anyone was lying to you. They were probably just hoping things would be okay.

What you have to do is get a job for the year and save up your money. Taking a year out is not the end of the world. You will get there eventually and be even more satisfied that you did it all on your own.

I didn't get to go to university until my thirties! But I enjoyed it even more because I had to wait so long.

My son is in a similar situation to you. His father and I financed him to go to a music school in America for a year. He now wants to go back and do a final year to get his professional certificate. But we can't fund him any more. So he has taken a year out, set up his own business giving music lessons and is saving every penny he earns so that he can go back to America in September.

There is always a way if you really want something badly. Learn not to blame others and don't dwell on past traumas. You are only hurting yourself. Look to the future which could be as bright as you want it to be. Only your determination will decide.
Best of luck!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. And whiston you are ever right in many ways. I am always looking to blame some one. I am going to try a few more things before I wait a year then if things don't happen I will see about getting in at one of the local state school by my house which I could afford. thank you for your wisdom. Today is a better day but it is still rough.
Love,
Shana
Old 08-10-2005, 04:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Renee quite honestly I can't blame you at all for how you feel. I have some pretty big resentments of my own regarding my family. They can be hard to shake but you are doing one awesome job anyway!

So it's time for a plan B. There is more than one place to get money and there are lot's of ways to go to school. It may take a little longer, that's all. Community colleges are cheaper and you don't have to take a full class load.

Dreams don't always come easy. Fight for what you want!
Hugs,
JT
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Shana; Since we live in the same town(!) I know how many schools have popped up...lots of choices if it comes to that. My first year out of high school there were some flukes that happened and I did not get to go away to school. Instead, I took classes at one of the local places, worked part-time, and lived at home. The end of that school year I applied to Ohio State, was accepted, met with them and transfered those credits.
I was REALLY ready to go at that point....so I think it worked out better for me; but that is my story.

I am sorry for the disappointment.......but I am sure things will work out for you; just the way they are supposed to. Sending you a hug!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Might it be possible to try to go to a less expensive school like a community college and save money by living at home. Get a part time job. You can still apply for pell/tap grants. They are not based on credit. Good luck, don't give up on your dream!! Kerry
Old 08-10-2005, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Shana, was it your parents that applied for the loan? It really shouldnt matter what their credit looks like if you apply for yourself. Financial Aid? If your parents do not make alot of money, you might be able to apply for financial aid. You just fill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov and they let you know, that is dependant on your parents not making over a certain amount of money though. Shana, I had to apply for a loan myself in my second year of college, and at the age of 19, I had to get a loan. I would start with the bank where you have your checking and or savings account. You can also speak to the Admissions office at the school you WANT to attend and they can help you with Loans, Aid, and Grants.
Dont give up! If you want this bad enough, you can do it...even if you have to wait a semester or 2!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks everyone you give me a lot of hope. I got financial aid and it helped a lot and I had to have a co-signer with my loan and it was my dad so that is why the laon was denied. I am working on another co-sign right now that might help and I am working with my school closely to find the money. Thanks for all your support
Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ahhh shana - our HP at work yet AGAIN! you are a smart, resourceful girl - you will come out ok in the end i know it!

hugs to you - christie
Old 08-10-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Shana, Elizabeth had some good advice. It sounds like you are already pursuing financial aid through completion of the FAFSA. When I was in school, I was concerned because I knew my parent's credit was less than stellar. So I asked the financial aid office what would happen if I didn't get approved, and they told me that I would then be reconsidered for additional Stafford grants & loans. Call the people at your desired school's financial aid office and become their best friend. They are there to help you. I don't know if the same thing applies in your state, but look into it. A word of advice...I was a bit irresponsible with money at that time in my life, and I loaned out the maximum amount they would allow based on estimated tuition and living expenses. Yes, I worked during school too, but that didn't matter. Now, I have a $40,000 student loan debt that 4 years after graduating, I still don't make enough money to make regular monthly payments. Be smarter than I was!!! Good luck.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks I know i am doing the best I can and trying to leave it up to my higher power and believe is he is working for me and thanks cwohio I am doing okay today I needed that thanks.
LOve,
Shana
Old 08-10-2005, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Shana. I don't know if it's the same here as it is where you live but when I was a student I was automatically approved for a credit card when i was a student. Not much at first but it might help you build some of your own. Have you looked for scholarships anywhere? I can't remember the website, of course, but I was told by a program I was in for the gov. that there are all sorts of bizarre little scholarship programs out there for all sorts of things. Lot's of people don't even know they exist so for many of them there are few people who even apply.

My grandmother once suggested I look into sponsers as well. Apparently depending on what you want to go into, some corporations will actually sponser people through school. You may have to work for them for a while afterwards but it's free for you and free for them as well. It works out as a tax write off for them. Just send some letters out to some major companies and you never know.

It might take some research on both these ideas but it might be well worth it in the end.