Meds (?)

Old 08-08-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meds (?)

Is there any medicine that is not a daily antidepressant that helps people just temporarily? I’ve had it softly suggested to me a few times now, I guess I am sort of to a point of being extra low and/or anxious feeling for long periods of time, I do notice a difference now in just the normal ebbs and flows, it feels different lately. But I do not want to take anything, especially daily. Years ago I took Zoloft for a bit and it just made me feel very disconnected and out of it. I really did not like it and it was even a low dose prescription. I stopped taking it and it took me through a readjust phase where I felt even weirder. I think it just does not work well for me somehow.

However, I have reached a point where I am willing, IF there were something I could take temporarily just now and then, something that’s not going to change all my atoms and cells all around…is there anything like that, anyone got any info for me let me know.

P.S. Not saying antidepressants are bad or too dramatic, just I don’t want to take them they’re too much for me, I don’t like them.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
caughtup

I am not sure about the meds ... think you might have to check with a Dr. about that one. Maybe some counseling might be of help to get you out of this temporary funk you seem to be in. No one likes counseling, well, maybe some do, but most don't .. but it just might be what you need. Depression is a terrible thing to experience, keep seeking help through friends and of course your friends here at SR.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Caughtup :- ) I LOOOOVE counseling, I wish I could go EVERY day. My appts are generally about 2 weeks apart, mostly because they are just that filled up. My main counselor is on vacation for a month and set me up with an alternate while she is out. I go again Thursday thank goodness. One of the soft mentions about meds came from my counselor in fact, so I will be checking with my alternate counselor on Thursday about any alternatives to daily antidepressants. I just do not want to take them. Thank you for your reply
Old 08-08-2005, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You should probably check with a doc on this and read as much as possible, but I have heard that the herb St. John's Wort can be effective with depression. Again, I do not know if there are any negatives to using that supplement, but I guess it's worth looking into. The only downside that I know of for sure is that it lowers the effectiveness of birth control pills. I don't know if you're in that party or not, but just FYI...
Old 08-08-2005, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried meditation?Works for me.At first my mind was squarrly,i felt that i just could never do it.But practing this everyday,eventually my mind ,was,settle.It clicked.Calm,Quiet.In times of stress, during the day,i step back,and meditate.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi!! I know when my daughter went on A.D. the doc. said after 6 months we will reevaluate. I know some people won't give them up for anything. There is a wide range of doses. You may only need a small dose. Our doc. monitors her closely for the first few months. I won't hesitate to try a med. if it will help. Good luck!!! kerry
Old 08-08-2005, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Texas, and happy birthday too! I'll ask about the St. John's. Depending how much it costs, and if it has to be taken as much, I don't know if that might end up falling into the same category for me as an antidepressent that just costs more, but I will ask about it.

Cap, meditation for me pretty much stops at taking a walk, a drive, or writing things out. Any advice on how to seriously meditate please do tell because I know it can go deeper I just don't know how to do it. I am willing to try it for sure.

Thanks Reader, yeah I get your point if it would help why not try it. Makes sense. I just have such a "nooo" thought in my head from last time, and then all the time it takes to kick in and kick out...just very wary of it. But it does help a lot of people.

thanks for all the replies. I wish there was just something I could take "as needed" you know something legal and non-addictive of course. I did some looking up on the net and it seems so far it's all a daily thing that has to build up to start and build down to end.

Cloudy
Old 08-08-2005, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you tried exercise? Try working up a sweat for 45- 60 mins a day/4-5 X week. I'm amazed at how I can deal with things when I am exercising (walking) consistantly.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i agree with Winter... exercise works for me too.

i tried anti depressants and it made me feel... just.. like i lost the edge i was trying so hard to hang onto.

then i tried tranquilizers for the worst of the worst moments, and those worked for the panic attacks but really dulled my senses and i never ate.. which was good for my bottom but not for my head.

then i started walking.. first i walked like i just had to express anger and disappointment and all that.. then the habit part of walking kinda kicked in while i wasnt paying attention.. and i really started to feel better.

i found myself realizing i was doing something just for me, doing something that made me feel good, look good, and suddenly i started feeling better emotionally... more.. in charge of myself.

yeah.. i still get depressed, but its not nearly as bad as it used to be. i would fall into bed too exhausted to even get up.... now i know to get up and walk makes me feel even the slightest edge better.. and i can better handle the depression.

good luck to you whatever you decide.
quietsins
Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Cloudy,ive heard of so,so many ways to meditate,until i found one that really fits me.I talked with folks who have meditated for years.I went to book stores and read about this too.For myself,what i do first thing in the morning,is lay on my bed,flat,facing the ceiling.At first i set my alarm clock,to ring,when 10 minutes.,is up.My body is "still,"not moving,any parts.Thinking of one word only.Could be any word that you choose.Like ,for example the word,love,flower,any word.And keep thinking about this word until my alarm goes off.Everytime my mind thinks of something else,i bring it back to that one word again.Today i meditate for an hour.This settles my mind,and i go into nothingness.Thats why i set the alarm clock,to ring in an hour"s time,to bring me back.Not moving any parts of my body.Silence.
Some folks hum,and focus on the sound of their voice humming.
It took a longgggggggggg time for me to learn how to do this.And in learning how to meditate i also could see,how my mind was all over the place,scattered,with so many,thoughts going through my mind.I really paid no attention to this before.
Thoughts are powerful.Its how i experience life and people,through my thoughts.To be mindful of my thoughts.
Thanks for letting me share,
give it a go,and all the best,
God Bless,take care!!!!!!!

Last edited by Cap3; 08-09-2005 at 05:17 AM. Reason: adding
Old 08-09-2005, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Winter and Quietsins, what an absolutely excellent idea, excersize! thank you!

Cap, thank you for sharing it! Ok so I better set my alarm TWO hours early then. I have to set it ahead one hour already, that hour is my "come to reality from dreamland" time. It takes me forever to come around into the real world, it's no wonder sometimes though cripe :- )

and I really love this that you wrote

Cap wrote: Thoughts are powerful.Its how i experience life and people,through my thoughts.To be mindful of my thoughts

thank you, very much indeed

Cloudy