Lord, will this drama ever end.. continued

Old 08-07-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lord, will this drama ever end.. continued

Well- thanks everyone for your posts back to me- I can't tell you how much they help me.
I did not call the police- I decided to leave my son at the sitter's all night and go home. I was redy to face whatever.
I got home- he was in bed. He broke our ceiling fan and made a mess in the house- but not much more. The knife was laying on the table.
I put the knife back in the kitchen and left my NASTY house just the was it was.
This morning he woke up when I was getting ready to go to work. He asked me to get him a list of local rehabs and detox numbers- I already have all the numbers so I gave them to him.
I told him I will not miss work today- I have responsibilities- I told him it was totally up to him if he gets help or not- But I also told him even though I love him that I am VERY close to tossing him out of my house.
He said he understood- he said " I'm sorry your married to a drunk"
I am worried though- When you drink a fifth of vodka a day for several monthes- couldn't he really need medical treatment.
I work in an ER- and I can tell you- they don't generally admit for detox in a regular hospital. I want to detach and let him do what he has to do- but what if he Medically needs help?
He was in a rehab 2 years ago- never paid them what he owed them- they are the only detox/rehab I know of in our area. Does anyone have any advise?
ellima01
Old 08-07-2005, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

pray..................you are both in mine.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My advice is simple: Let him figure it out.

You need to step back and allow him the opportunity and dignity to find the best solution for the problem he wishes to solve.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am so glad

you are both OK.

The Salvation Army has a super free program.

I also suggest you check out the top sticky in the Alcoholism Forum here. It was started by Chy.
Lots of factual info on withdrawal and detoxxing.

Many many alcoholics do not go to rehab, I am one who did not. At the end of rehab they suggest AA!

Why not cut out the expensive middle mam?

The key to recovery IMO is to want to ve sober more than you want to drink. Very simple.

Time for you to stop being Mommy.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some people have seizures when going through withdrawal from alcohol, possibly strokes. That is why it may not be best to cut out the middle man. My A friend has had three seizures, one for every time he was in detox. There are some outpatient detox programs that supply medication if you want to detox at home, but I wouldn't want that kind of stress. Anything can happen when a chemically dependent person is detoxing.

I also think if he is expressing sincere interest in getting help, now is the best time to be supportive. It's possible to be supportive and concerned without trying to control the situation. (Or so I've been told!)
Old 08-07-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes - as cazza said - withdrawal seizures could occur - my AH has had many events like this happen. hope he get medical help.

prayers to you - christie
Old 08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Soeey...but

I said rehabs were not necessary.

Yes...professional supervision is a wise move when de toxing.

Again...sorry I was not clear in my reply.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

My step-son is uninsured and he had to be put on a waiting list for a rehab that takes everybody. He went from the ER to the pych. ward then on to a rehab waiting list. He spent about 5 days in the hosiptal before rehab. If I understand it right he would not have been eligible if he hadn't gone to the hospital. I hope he can get in somewhere, it sounds like a good first step!! Kerry
Old 08-08-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is along the same line of what you are talking about.

When SonnyBoy finally decided that he needed to do something..he asked me that same thing..."Can you get me some numbers?" I handed him the telephone book and told him that if he was serious...he could find them. I then handed him the phone and told him good luck.

I was so tired of cleaning up after him...fixing the holes in my walls..washing his sheets when he got sick..picking up broken pieces of dishes that he had dropped during one of his many binges. I had just finally decided that I was his mother..not his keeper and if he truly wanted help..he needed to be responsible for getting it. I had given him these same numbers many times...I left them on his dresser...on his bedside table....even in all the hiding places where he hid his drugs and beer..But it never meant a thing until he came to it.

I hope everything works out for you and your children. I will pray for your wellbeing.