BPD Anyone?

Old 08-02-2005, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

BPD Anyone?

I have some of the symptoms of BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder), although I am very high functioning and also do not SI (self-injure) as many, many BPD's do.

My husband is an A, and in denial.

One of the major issues of one with BPD is abandonment. This does not bode well for Al-Anon, as it is extra-difficult and nearly impossible for someone with BPD to detach. My therapist has told me that I will not be able to. That is the one concept of Al-Anon that I have never been able to grasp, and now I understand why. I leave the meetings very ANGRY (another BPD issue). As far as I am concerned, if I am going to "detach", I may as well not be married. My H has not been an alcoholic for most of our marriage, and so I know the difference. I know the way he used to be. It was so much more than I would ever get again after detaching.

So this is a dilemna for me....

Am just curious if anyone else out there has BPD issues? I'm sure many do, but may not be aware of it...it is a common disorder.

Would appreciate any input on this...if you need further explanation, I would be glad to go there.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

That makes a lot of sense. I've never been diagnosed with BPD, but I have a lot of abandonment issues, that started as a child and have continued into adulthood.

Maybe that's why I could never detach...??
Old 08-02-2005, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Savana, if you would like some websites to check into it, let me know and I will post some links! Are you familiar with BPD? It may help many issues "fall into place".