Hi, I'm Swanie; grateful alaon & glad to be here.

Old 07-23-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Hi, I'm Swanie; grateful alaon & glad to be here.

Hi, I'm Swanie; grateful alaon & glad to be here.

Recently, I graduated from school and have since been strugging with my job search.

First, I dont like promoting myself. (Get me out of the spotlight-thats for the Alcoholic! You know, all the attention goes on them! )

Second, I am just afraid. What if....

I never find a job
I suck at my job
I hate my job
I dont get along with coworkers
My boss is a bitch
I dont make enough money to support myself
I lose my job and cant pay my bills

Third,
Do I go back to work in business, or do I go back to school to get certified as a teacher. I know both are very possible choices for me. Right now, however, I am just immobilized by fear. UGH! Whats the next freakin step???

Anyways, its just a scary, vulnerable time for me. I am dealing with a lot of fear. I have to keep reminding myself to keep turning it over. Sometimes, I get caught up in the obsessing about it. I just need to remember to keep turning it over. God has a plan for me. I pray he reveals to me the next right step.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Swanie!! You've found a great place here to help your recovery.

FEAR - False Evidence Appearing Real. All your "what ifs" can be turned round into positives. Why is it not possible that the following might happen?

I find the job of my dreams
I am great at my job
I love my job
I have wonderful friendships with my new coworkers
My boss is wonderful
I make enough money to support myself

And this one - I lose my job and cant pay my bills? If you don't get a job, will you be able to pay your bills?

All will be revealed, my sweet.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Swanie!!

Minnie's a sweetheart! Always giving good advice.

We can't worry about stuff that's to come because most of what we worry about, doesn't ever happen anyways and (this sounds morbid, but true) we may not have a tomorrow, so it's best to hit fear straight on with your faith. God will walk you through it. I've been there so many times, I'd be rich if I had even a penny for every time I feared.

The fear is really the fear of it's self. Something that we conjure up in our minds. What the heck do ya have to lose, but everything to gain?

If you do happen to make a mistake, .....oh, well. Get back up and try, try again. Each time, you'll learn from them (and not repeat them like I do sometimes )

Good luck and keep coming back!!

((hugs))
Old 07-23-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wecome

It sounds like the world is at your feet! Like Minnie said, you could find out that:
I find the job of my dreams
I am great at my job
I love my job
I have wonderful friendships with my new coworkers
My boss is wonderful
I make enough money to support myself
Or, you could elect to go back to school?

As MSN says, where do YOU want to go from here?

It's nice to meet you!
Old 07-23-2005, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Welcome to SR, swanie! A fellow Al-Anon here!

Originally Posted by Swanie
Second, I am just afraid. What if....
At least you're in touch with what you're feeling, even if it is fear. I always need to remember that fear is NOT the Higher Power; I just choose to make it my Higher Power sometimes...

I've shared here before that when I get focused on "what if?", I lose sight of "what is" and fear takes charge. My acronyms for "if" are "In Fantasy" and "I'm Fvcked"...

I shared with an AA/Al-Anon friend one night about how much fear I was in over a particular situation (my mom's addiction issue du jour). He listened and, when I was done spewing, he asked simply, "Where's your faith?" My reply was, "Right now I don't have any... and I ain't lookin' for any, either!" But the question had brought me immediately to the answer: I had lost faith that HP knows what It's doing. Soooooooooooo, I went back to the 1st Step, then to the 2nd, then to the 3rd, and on down the line.

Interestingly, somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd Steps, my faith returned and my fear dissipated...

When I try to keep my head where my feet are and focus on doing the next right thing, I stay focused on what is, rather than what might be.

Hope you'll keep coming back!
Old 07-23-2005, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Welcome Swanie, form one grateful al-anon to another!

Hey,,let me ask you this.....in relation to all your what if's.

What if your HP has a plan for you and all you have to do is the footwork and then it will be revealed to you after?

Talk to him/her and see what you hear?

Peace and welcome aboard the SR recovery train!