I really need the money but...I feel guilty..

Old 07-02-2005, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I really need the money but...I feel guilty..

I'm still jobless, kind of gave up on looking for a permanent job in the field I work in since I will be moving soon. I still need some extra cash to help with all the moving expenses, deposits and first/last month's rent. It's expensive to move from one state to another, and my savings is almost gone.

Ok so here is my situation; I was offered a waitressing job, supposively pretty good tips.(Wish the job would have come along a lot sooner though!!) The only thing is that I won't be working there that long, but I need the extra money. If I tell them I only plan on staying for a little while I'm sure they won't hire me.

I guess I feel guilty for taking the job; kind of like a catch 22--damned if you do damned if you don't. Someone said don't worry about it; you gotta do what you gotta do for youself. Why do I feel so guilty? I just want to do whats right.

Any input or advice....
Old 07-02-2005, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sure

take the job! The restuarant/hospitality industry is ever changeing. Moving is your goal...go for it!

If you will be working for a chain...you might want to ask for a transfer to your new location.

I made oddles of quick cash for many years!
Old 07-02-2005, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go for it!

The turn over in the food industry is HUGE, I'd bet they're used to it. They need a waitress, you're willing to do the job.

Do the happy dance for ANY job that will get you where you need to be.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks Carol and WTL! I don't feel so guilty now! hehe!!!

I'm just a little frustrated that the job didn't come along sooner, so I could have worked a little longer.

Why am I so indecisive lately??
Old 07-02-2005, 09:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Ok heres another quesiton for you people with awesome advice. What do I tell them when I quit??I won't be able to give them a 2 week notice...
Old 07-02-2005, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How about, "I am moving to (city name) on (day of week). While I'm really looking forward to my new place, one of the things I'm going to miss is all of you! Thanks for the opportunity."

If it's true of course. I'll bet very few give 2 days much less 2 weeks notice - I suspect they get a lot of no call/no shows and "take this job and ...."
Old 07-02-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok im gonna be the fly in the jam.Being honest is part of my recovery.To be totally honest,and to treat others as i would want them to treat me.im not perfect by no means.How would i feel,if an employee i hired knew that they were moving soon,yet still took the job,im offering?I think you can guess,here.Yea needing money is a situation ive been in many times,and still am at times.But,my recovery is more important than anything.A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G..Part of my recovery is being honest,up front,no matter what.And doing this has never hurt me,.Other oppurtunies will come,and go,all the time. Maybe they will hire you regardless,of how long you can stay.When im holding back,i just don't feel good about myself.Employers are people too.They have issues also.Take your time to do what you feel is the thing to do here.Thanks for letting me share,
God Bless,take care!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Hi cap-I also looked at it in the same frame of mind as you had stated. I thought, yeah maybe 6 months ago I would do that, but is it alright to do it now? Now that I'm in recovery and more aware of my actions.

I guess thats why I posted this thread. OR maybe I'm looking to deeply into the whole thing. Thats why I wanted some input.

Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Take the job - and keep quiet. My kiddo is in desperate need of a job -- his honesty has kept him unemployed. Monday morn, he won't be volunteering any extra info!
Old 07-02-2005, 11:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by Cap3
Ok im gonna be the fly in the jam.
Fly #2 here. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

One of my character defects is dishonesty. I learned to lie, cheat, manipulate and steal to get my "needs" met, regardless of the consequences. After working my 4th Step and inventorying my morals, I realized how lying affects me now: when I lie, I feel ashamed. When I feel ashamed, I feel unworthy. When I feel unworthy, I stop wanting to live. When I stop wanting to live, I'm in some seriously deep doo-doo. So, rather than start the cycle spinning and go through all that mess, I choose to be honest---as much as I'm willing, anyway .

George Carlin once said that "Dishonesty is the second-best policy". That was funny---until he ended up in rehab this year. Not so funny in that light...

I've learned that it's best to follow my conscience (Egad! I sound like a frickin' Disney insect!), 'cos that's how HP gives me direction. When I go the other way, uncomfortable consequences inevitably follow...
Old 07-02-2005, 11:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Cap and nocellphone - we get so worked up when the A's lie to us, so why would we do that to others? And omission is lying too.

However, having worked as a waitress I know that the staff turnover is huge. Maybe you could say that you'll be leaving, but you'll work for the time you're here and they can line someone up for when you're gone. Could be a win/win situation. Helps you both out of a hole.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They would be happy to use the help even if its temporary. So its all good, I know you'll be able to make it on your own and moving must be a fresh start for you...

Wishing you the best!
Old 07-03-2005, 01:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Savana 54,the restuarant/hospitality industry is ever changing. Especially during the summer months. Seems to be a time when University students are working temporary to make a little bit of money. I know some people here would hire you on a one-three contract. Short term,but like some one else said they need the help.
Whatever you decide,good luck.
Your new move sounds great.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

well, i don't remember a waittress job ever asking me how long i was planning to stay- or if i was looking for upward mobility in my waitressing job. if they need help they will hire you. after you have been hired you can give them your 2 weeks notice.
i don't see it as lying....that would be making assumptions if they haven't asked...and that is another inventory thing-making assumptions.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would take the job if you need the money. I am sure you wouldn't be the first to leave after a short time.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb I just

had an idea! Why not sell most of your things?

You would make money and save on moving expenses.

You can always buy more stuff when you get settled.

I have done that several times...keeping my moving down to a car load.

Many ways to get new stuff..Goodwill is a great source.

BTW...
How many waitress jobs expect a committment? None that I know of. They will never give you 2 weeks notice if they fire you or cut back your hours. Mot even if you are in the international food service union.

If you feel so guilty...tell the manager you are only going to be there for x weeks. Then it is out of your head.

Are you planning to not work at all before you leave?
Can you go now?
Old 07-03-2005, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Savana,if you need the job,then I would take it. If they do not ask how long you are planning on staying,then you don't have to lie about it. The food industry is forever changing. I use to own a restaurant. I use to hire people on a 2-6 month contract. Some people liked that and others did not. I guess I would rather hire you knowing you would be at work every day and when you left tell me a week or so before you decide to quit. I did not appreciate some one who would not show up for work or just left without saying a word to me. Left me short handed. That is a nightmare.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey again Savanna,you say that i guess i feel guilty for taking the job.
My fellow fly,{lol}Nocellphone says-Ive learned that its best to follow my conscience cos thats how HP give me direction.I totally am in agreement,with Nocellphone,and this also has been my experience.,too.You feel guilty.This is whats important.YOU.,and how you feel.The times that i didnt follow my gut,inner-true feelings about an issue,were the times that i suffered inside.,and things did not turn out well for me.100 folks could say its all ok,and to do it.But if im feeling guilty,there is a reason,.I have to live comphy in my own skin....smile..And do what i know,inside to do or not do.And this is what,the focus is on. Recovery.Peace.Harmony with myself..And i sleep alot better,,at night,,lol..To thine Own Self Be true,no matter what.trust God,.Pray/meditate,take your time.Its great that your not rushing into this,taking your time,and sharring.
Keep on keeping on.Your answers will come.Keep da faith,no matter how things look like now...
Old 07-03-2005, 10:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Savana 54,hi. After reading your first post. My first thoughts were....why are you feeling guilty? You need the money. The food industry is a fast moving business that has a big turn over rate. Some times a door is opened for us and we have to decide whether to take it or leave it. If you need the money....take the job....tell the employer the truth about how long you may stay....then you won't have to worry about guilty feelings. Everything is out in the open..no one is lying to any one.
I have had friends who took a waitressing job and only lasted a day,a week or two weeks. Most of them didn't bother to give notice of quiting. They just didn't show up for work. Many of them had found better paying jobs..others just wanted the money for a quick fix..and still others moved. So think you are very noble in what you are thinking..because the biggest part of the people around would not care or feel guilty.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks for all your replies! I appreciate it so much!

Hugs,
Savana