Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

If an alcoholic is unwilling to get help, what can you do about it?

Old 06-24-2005, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This can be a challenge. An alcoholic can't be forced to get help except under certain circumstances, such as a violent incident that results in court-ordered treatment or medical emergency.
Any suggestions as to help an alcoholic get treatment. Know we can not control the person or their drinking,but there must be suggestions from professionals with ideas.
The one thing I have done is gathered information about treatment options in our area.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Erm, not very much.

You could try an intervention, which I guess is like trying to force an A to hit their bottom, but I've never been involved with one so I can't give any useful info. There's a difference between an A asking for help and someone else forcing them to get help. The latter very rarely works, and even if they do go into treatment, then it will fail unless they are willing to do what it takes. Recovery is an inside job, remember.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can't force it. But you can do an intervention, where they come to the person's home and family/friends talk to them with a therapist there. I am currently seeing a therapist who does interventions on the side. They are not always successful.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Please consider help for yourself. Alanon is great. Counselling is also helpful.

Blessings
Old 06-24-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i'm in agreement with kathy - bottom line is - THEY have to want it - it's a hard pill to swallow believe me, i know. help yourself!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

The first thing I did when I found out about my daughter's alcoholism was to research everything about the disease. I talked to many different people. I wanted to take control because I could see that she wasn't doing the work necessary for recovery.

Luckily, I found Alanon and I learned that the most loving thing I could do is to step back and allow her to fully experience the consequences of her drinking. This was a very difficult and painful thing for me to do. I learned that my efforts to force her recovery were really for my own peace of mind and comfort.

Alanon really helps. I go to two or three meetings a week, and I read the literature daily. It works.

Robin