New scientific theory on alcoholism.....

Old 06-17-2005, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New scientific theory on alcoholism.....

I have been reading a lot about alcoholism and its effects on the family. One paper I read suggested that the problem isn't alcohol itself, but the intense rush of sugar into the bloodstream is too much for the body to handle. That, coupled with poor behavior patterns set during childhood, create the effects we see as alcoholism.

It was compared to a diabetic in diabetic shock doesn't remember what they said or did during that time period.

It was suggested that the alcoholic is *really* addicted to refined sugar and to remove refined sugar from their diet will quiet the beast inside.

Opinions?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nope..Don't buy it..My exABF is a diabetic and an alcoholic..let's just call him an addict..

he is very careful with his blood sugar as in doesn't eat refined sugar..his been a diabetic since he was 3..

his mother has 2 alcoholic brothers..
Old 06-17-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does alcohol end up with refined sugar in it -- either added or fermented?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Probably..but that is not it..it is the insanity that he knows that drinking is bad for him and his diabetes and yet he does it anyway..that's why I know he is an alcoholic.

I saw him try to control his drinking..he's not able to..
Old 06-17-2005, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, alcohol turns to sugar in our system and sugar turns to alcohol in our system.

We also have an allergy. We crave what we are allergic to.

and genes add to mix.
I picked up genes from an alcoholic uncle on one side and a diabetic uncle on the other. Both an inability to handle sugar somehow.
All mixed in the mix along with personility etc. etc. clancy 46
Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Read "Potatoes not Prozac" by Kathleen deMaisons. Her background is in the area of treating addictions. She also has an extensive website.

Her theory is that an inability to handle sugar is at the root of alcohol addiction, and depression, and other addictions.

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/

I follow her diet plan and my moods are great, in addition to having lost 40 pounds easily in the last 6 months...

Robin
Old 06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Clancy -- So is it possible that the intense sugar (ice cream) cravings my AH has during bouts of unusually high stress are a substitute for alcohol he no longer drinks?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Robin -- so there may be something to this research? I'm going to the website to learn more.

I have also found that, in looking to my own childhood, my first "real" food were mashed potatoes. I go to them each time I'm under pressure.

I gave my babies only carrots as their first food for a few months before introducing other vegetables. I find that their comfort food now is carrots. Yuck.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

My opinion is that the blood sugar of one who has a drinking problem does get out of balance. When I quit drinking 19 years ago the stuff I focused on was getting my body in balance. I did not go to AA or NA but thru getting my body balanced thru diet, bodywork( chiropractic,ostopathic and massage therapies), exersize, and prayer I was able to quit drinking and drugging. I closely followed a diet called "the Yeast Connection Diet". I only craved to drink once after about 3 months and I got drunk and had a hang over that convinced me that I did not ever want to drink again...
Old 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Beautiful.. I think everyone is different, but one of my recoverying friends always wants ice cream. however I was never big on ice cream, but if I bought a doz donut to share with friends i ate them all. Same with homemade fudge, could not stay away from it. but I do not care for pie??
I am now diabetic, but if don't see sweets i do not crave. like drink if never taste it I do not crave. it is always the first bite that sets up craving or the first sip. It is all very complicated. Some alcoholic's have learned to not use cough syrup or mouth wash with alcohol , some super sensitive.
Sugar is a tough one as a bit of sugar in many things.

In treatment centers, when first started, they said to help cravings for alchol to eat candy. So candy dishes all over the place, open fridg and all kinds of pie, and ice cream. Shortly they found that was bad. that what was needed was lots of protien. so meat and cheese in fridg and nuts sitting around.
Take what you can use, just my beliefs. Big Book of AA says, "we found we were alergic to alcohol."

Could you run out of ice cream and suggest a lot of meat and cheese sand??? Does he like nuts? some handy dishes with nuts might keep him from craving ice cream, just a thought. My friend gets low blood sugar, read about hycoglyciama symtoms. He would put off eating and then get nasty. Then had to make amends.
clancy46
Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

theory
hypothesis, guess, speculation, assumption...They can presume all they want, but I want concrete evidence. And no one has been able to do that. Like with taking an SSRI which will balance the serotonin levels of the brain. The disease is complicated and complex. Everyone is different and experience the effects in a different way and has different triggers.

As time progresses, more theories will surface. Each different from the last. I've been reading their theories for 18 years and no one has yet to hit the nail on the head. My husband who is recovering craves sugar. Our son craves protein in any form...meat, cheese, nuts, beans. Each get physical and psychological satisfaction after downing a snack.

Robina's link has sparked my interest and I'm definitely going to check it out.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got interested in this last year - blood sugar and alcoholism. The descriptions of low blood sugar seemed to match lots of what D experienced both on drinking and non drinking days.

I showed him some of the info and he surprised me by buying a blood sugar testing kit!! (Thinking back that was one of the first signs of HIS interest in getting well).

The results of his testing over two weeks showed his sugar levels never left the normal range.

The nice thing about this is that it's one theory that's a piece of cake to test!

He's now on AD's to raise his seritonin levels and if that doesn't work it'll be time to look for something else.

Here's is one of the best sources of online journals dealing with alcohol. The search box means you can cross reference most topics with alcohol abuse/addiction. (obviously there's no need to type 'alcoholism' in the box - that's the site subject anyway!).

National Institute for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Old 06-20-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks you Einsteins! I love it here --and you all, too!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What a fabulous post!! Thank You so much. I knew that alcoholism and sugar were related allergies but I forgot the chemistry particulars. I am one who experienced seizures upon withdrawel of alcohol and now I understand it better.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

If some kind of "allergy" or inability to process a particular substance is the major cause of alcoholism, then that same theory would have to apply to many other addictive substances, not to mention behaviors. That would make me "allergic" to alot of things! I think genetic makeup and body chemistry is only one component, with others that weigh just as heavily in the equation, such as degree of exposure to a substance, personality makeup, beliefs about substance use, etc. A little nature, a little nurture... I don't think I had the genetic predisposition to become an alcoholic, but I think I made up for it in other areas!

Doorknob
Old 06-21-2005, 03:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is an interesting thought. I know that I really limit the amount of refined sugar our 2 year olds get because diabetes runs on my side and also because of, scientifically, how the central nervous system develops. Reading this paper just gave me a little hope that I can give my twins a good start and maybe re-purpose their energy into more constructive life skills.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zoe

I did some research myself on yeast, sugar, and the corelation to alcoholism. I found out that my system had a yeast overload due to sugar consumption. I followed a new way of eating for a couple of weeks and found out that I felt much better and had more energy with no sugar cravings after the 2nd or third day. My H eats candy and bread (which turns to sugar as soon as it hits your mouth)pasta and lots of meat and potatoes. He's not real big on fruits and veggies but he does crave a good salad. I do believe that sugar is a definite contributor to alcoholism. There is yeast in alcohol and when you over indulge it builds up in the system. Yeast cannot live without sugar so you get cravings. Wether they be for more sugar or alcohol. Makes sense to me. Try www.yeastadvisor.com, the gentleman that runs it is very helpful and got me on the right track. My H was passing on a yeast problem to me on top of the way I was eating. I have also talked to women who were in a relationship with an A and had problems with yeast infections when the A was actively drinking heavy. I know that when my H is eating to much sugar he is tired and cranky. He does not eat as much sugar when he is drinking so I guess if he slows down on the sugar I will know he has been drinking.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I find this whole thing really fascinating. My H craves fruit WITH ice cream. He would be a fruit tree if God let him.

This is definitely an interesting subject.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Actually, he'd be an ice cream cone with a fruit side..............LOL
Old 06-21-2005, 12:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zoe

In all of that I forgot to say that addiction in my opinion is also a mind set. My H told me that working and paying the bills is what he thought being a good husband and father was all about. I said it is part of it but not all. His selfish behaviour and lying about his drinking, heck his drinking period are not acceptible. His counselor told him that drinking was adding to his problems not helping. He is learning new coping skills for stress and relaxation and he is learning that in a relationship there are two people who's needs have to be met, not just his. He thought he was meeting all my needs? lol. He also thought that if I found out he was drinking again I would just yell, scream, cry, and get over it until next time. I think not spanky!!!! He now knows from this last experience that I will no longer live with alcohol. No yelling,crying, feeling sorry for myself, just leave. He was raised to believe that the man worked, paid the bills and the woman raised the kids. The man is allowed to do as he wishes when off work because he had such a stressful day. Imagine his suprise when I brought him into the 21st century. HELLO!!!!!!