Thoughts that get stuck!!

Old 06-16-2005, 09:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was born on the year of the horse, my chinese name is literally "Little Horse". That horse of yours looks awesome, almost a "miraculous" feel to it somehow....
Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The horse in the piccy was my second one - I haven't got any photos loaded of Willy. Willy wasn't very talented but he made up for it in his willingness to learn and utterly genuine nature. The mare in the picture was a real firey character, she jumped for fun, loved herself competely, and even as a 4yr old she was never happy stuck behind another horse. She was a beautiful, silky mouthed ride with a natural carriage but GOD help you when she was fresh or excited - she had one of the hardest bucks I've ever known to sit!

Humming bird - I was never that talented, I'm a very average rider who worked hard at it, once I stopped riding 3-4 horses a day 7 days a week I quickly returned to being very average which is why I stopped. Sometimes I miss it but the memories that make me want to get back on are from a time when I was much better than I am now. When I actually do ride it's just frustrating to not have the same ability - I never rode for a hobby, it had been my job and passion. The thrill I used to have was when your getting a tune from the horse, an incredible feeling of peace as you work together.

I was very lucky to learn from a very talented boss too. Here's 3 things that I promise will make a difference while you learn. I don't mind them being in this thread because to be honest I think often the same rules apply between people. (except number 3!!).

1. Reward effort. Sometimes the horse does something perfectly, sometimes it doesn't try at all - but MOST of the time they try and don't quite get perfect. You have to reward their efforts, never slam a horse for breaking pace into canter when you ask extended trot - it's gone forwards, just misunderstood. Just correct it by coming back quietly and asking again. All effort is like that, mostly imperfect.

2. You don't have to win every battle - that's a bloody myth! If you hit a point where you can't get the horse to do what you want and you've tried what you know without success - LEAVE IT. Go and do something you know the horse can get right. You've tried what you know and it hasn't worked so trying again and again and again is pointless. DON'T tell yourself it's a battle you have to win - the chances are it isn't, the chances are the horse is just frustrated, doesn't understand, is off colour, getting cross etc etc. If you go and do something you know it will succeed at you diffuse the whole situation. Then leave the problem alone until you've had time to think about it and know what you could do better.

3. (Only for horses!!) Have authority - be the boss, not anger, not pride, not arrogance, but authority. Young horses are driven by nature to try and climb the ranks to challenge your authority and test whether you or they would make the best lead horse for your little herd of 2. BUT - GIGANTIC BUT they're far too young to be happy in charge, if they make it to the top, if they boss you they're left making all the decisions, they don't feel protected, they are driven by nature to discipline you and keep you in your place - but they can't fully do it. It's the saddest sight to see, some get nervous and stop eating, some get nasty, some just boil with stress and don't want to leave they yard, some don't want to leave their box or the field. When we used to get horses in with these problems nervous or nasty the first thing we did was turn them loose and chase them till they would run away at the gallop. We took over as boss and then the strangest thing happens, the horse suddenly wants the friendship and protection of this new dominant member. But you reject it - just often enough for it to be rewarded by relief when you finally change your mind and accept it as a lower ranking herd member. If you want a happy horse be the boss, be happy as the boss and never question your right to be in charge.

Last of all - be good on the ground, talent in the saddle is one thing, but there's no such thing as a good horseman or horsewoman that can't control and work a horse from the ground!

If you can understand the above you'll have pleasure from horses more than the frustration and anger you often see in riders.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

equus - just saw the pic of the horse - what a magnificant creature! i have never seen anything so beautiful! thx for sharing the pic!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
It's a Puggle!

Equus-

I love that last post, it makes perfect sense.
My husband had a beautiful arab that would do nearly anything asked of her--except back up. One day AH decided that she was GOING to back up. He broke your first two rules repeatedly. She'd give him two steps back and he would demand four. I'd never seen her act out until that day--you should have seen the rodeo when she finally decided enough was enough!
Funny, now that I think about it, those rules do apply to humans too--and the rodeo is about to begin at my house--I'm thinking he should've quit while he was ahead!

Paula
Old 06-17-2005, 06:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It's a Puggle!

Codemaster--
Where on earth do you find those pictures??
I about fell out of my chair when that rabbit popped up! :Lmao
Old 06-17-2005, 06:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paula a.
Equus-

I love that last post, it makes perfect sense.
My husband had a beautiful arab that would do nearly anything asked of her--except back up. One day AH decided that she was GOING to back up. He broke your first two rules repeatedly. She'd give him two steps back and he would demand four. I'd never seen her act out until that day--you should have seen the rodeo when she finally decided enough was enough!

Paula
When a human being has a tantrum with one ton of animal - well the results are rarely what you would describe as an enjoyable hobby. Although they can most definately be a learning experience!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
It's a Puggle!

Oh, he learned! I don't know if I ever saw him try to back her again!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Dear Equus-

Thanks for the tips on the horse world and the people world. You are so right that they are similar.

Again, thanks for posting the picture of your beatiful mare. She is so amazing and how lucky you are to have owned her. I read you list and you are so right on. It has given me something to work on with my odd crew of horses here. I think I have been more of a freind with them than a boss. I am going to try to be the boss horse tomorrow and beyond. Hopefully that will stop some of the race track things that have been happening here.

I have one that is 17.1 and he pushes me around all the time. Thanks to your post I will try to change the boss thing.

AH stopped by today while I was riding one of the boys. He yelled at all my helpers. I like to call the people that work here on the farm helpers instead of workers because they are truly helpers. They are great people and really help this farm work.

He then started yelling at me while Iwas riding. He screamed at me that it is the cows make the money here and the horses do not. I agreed and just told him this was my afternoon off. He could not handle it and drove offf in a huff. Oh well?

I hope you had a good day. Again thanks for the horsey tips!!!