So many ups/downs, any positive stories?

Old 06-10-2005, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So many ups/downs, any positive stories?

My hubby is back in rehab. Been back about a week now. Anyway his counselor called said he is still having "cravings" for alcohol, not all the time just at night when he usually drank when he was at home. She wants me not to visit so he can focus on getting better, etc. It is just always something.

I just feel so scared he is not going to get better. I know it takes time!! I have like all of you been thru so much.

Any positive stories out there?

Hubby left rehab the first week about two weeks agao when he went in. Said he wasn't ready. Was out for a week and then got a DUI. RIght before he got the DUI, he decided he was ready to go into treatment for his problem.

I am trying to detach and not get so upset, but sometimes it's hard.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

meli2005 - sorry no positive story here. mine has tried a couple outpatient programs but quit after about a week. in jail for 3 days for dui right now. still going to AA but hasn't really started working the program. it IS hard and i know exactly how you feel! (()))
Old 06-10-2005, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I've known many alcoholics/addicts who've gone through treatment and have gone on to remain clean and sober for years at a time. Relapse is not a part of recovery; relapse is a part of the disease.

If they do what is suggested (don't pick up, go to meetings, get a sponsor, work the Steps, help others--not too tall an order) and they face their fears rather than continuing to run from them, then recovery is possible and becomes a reality.

I've heard thousands of positive stories in Al-Anon, and have told my own there whenever I've been asked. My story is positive whether or not my loved ones achieve daily sobriety, because my serenity today is no longer contingent on the actions of others. My serenity is directly proportional to my own spiritual condition!
Old 06-11-2005, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

nocellphone beat me to it. Depending on how you view a positive outcome I am a success story.

Logically there is no way I got from where I was to where I am now but the program is not logical, it is spirtual. I have a peace in my life that I prayed for but had doubts that I could ever achieve. I got tired of dragging around the problems of other people...problems that I could not control.

No one in my world has gotten sober. They are still doing what alcoholics do...drinking, denying and blaming. But they can't touch me anymore.

Hugs,
JT
Old 06-11-2005, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've got a positive story, however I'm not sure it's the kind you're looking for as I take it you mean positive stories about alcoholics getting and staying sober. The alcoholic in my life is still drinking and believes that he has it all under control.

My life, however, is on the up and up. I removed myself from the drama in December, moved back to my home area in March and am getting healthier every day. Al-anon, counselling and this site have transformed my life in ways I can't begin to describe. Not every day is a good day, but at least I HAVE good days now. Not like before.

So, how are you going to create YOUR positive story?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Meli - I am also in early recovery and I understand the need to hear success stories. When I found out about my daughter's alcoholism, I did a lot of research to find out about the disease. It is a terrible disease with a high relapse rate. I needed to hear stories of people who had attained health and recovery. It gave me hope to think that maybe my daughter could get better.

When I started going to Alanon I learned that the most loving thing I could do for my daughter is step back and allow her to experience the full consequences of her drinking. This was very painful for me to do but when I stopped all the heroic efforts I was making to help her, she did hit bottom and she found her own way to recovery. She has now been a month sober.

Meli - are you going to Alanon meetings? Alanon has been a lifesaver for me.

"My serenity is directly proportional to my own spiritual condition!"
"Depending on how you view a positive outcome I am a success story."
Nocellphone and JT - thanks for the reminders. I need to hear that!

Love and blessings

Robin
Old 06-12-2005, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Minnie - I agree. It's about how we create our own positive stories. But sometimes, it's so hard to get the focus off the alcoholic and onto own own recovery. It's a work in progress.

Love and blessings

Robin
Old 06-12-2005, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by robina
"My serenity is directly proportional to my own spiritual condition!"
"Depending on how you view a positive outcome I am a success story."
Nocellphone and JT - thanks for the reminders. I need to hear that!
I can't speak for JT, but my thanks go to Al-Anon. Without it, I'd have very little (if anything) of any value to share...
Old 06-12-2005, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

RobinA, You are a strong person. (((HUGS))) for stepping back and letting your daughter suffer the consequences of her drinking.

My parents stepped in and picked up the pieces of my brother daily. Lent him money, drove him places, etc. They always said "you don't understand, he's our child". Now their child is dead.

Years ago I read Tough Love and after reading it, gave it to my parents. I wish they would have tried some of the things in the book or at least went to al anon meetings or something.

Oh well, what's done is done. We'll pick up the pieces and move on, a little wiser.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Frustrated - thanks for that comment.

What I did with my daughter was very painful. It hurts like hell to see someone you love drinking themselves to death. She's a month sober now, and I'm learning to take things one day at a time. Alcoholism is a terrrible disease.

Robin
Old 06-13-2005, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Three happy outcomes. Husband sober 18 years...yeah he has his dry-drunk moments, but I verbally "bitch slap" him and he straightens right up. God I love doing that!!! Is that sick???

My son will celebrate 6 months sobriety on the 20th of this month.

I am working my program and getting stronger every day.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Blessings