What IS the right thing to do...

Old 06-10-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

What IS the right thing to do...

I got a call from my sister this morning. She was crying. Asked me how she finds an AA meeting in her area. She lives 600 miles away. She was at work and she is a mess. She says she wants help. I think she has hit her bottom but is is so hard to know what will happen. She had a black out last night, drove her car home, backed into a telephone pole (or something), damaged her car, doesn't remember any of it today.

I talked to her just a little while ago and she is so sad. Crying so hard. She's in so much pain. I dont' know if I'm detached or cynical. But I don't know what to feel right now. Part of me is grateful that I live 600 miles away. Another part of me wants to call someone - I don't know who, and ask them to help her - to do what I don't know. I found a list of meetings for her in her area. Emailed it to her. Talked to her about it. She wants someone to go with her. She's scared. But she has to do it. She has to go to the meeting today. I don't know if she will. I pray that she will. I pray that God, as I know her, will help her to see that there might some end to the pain.

For each of you that are here at SR, going through similar, I send a prayer to my HP to help you and me and them.

Petunia
Old 06-10-2005, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Petunia,

If she calls someone in AA, I guarantee they will take her to the first meeting..

It is all up to her..Keep praying. I'll add her to my prayers too.

Hugs,

minx
Old 06-10-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Minx has it right. Don't forget to get to an alanon meeting for yourself too.

A blackout is what caused my husband to go into rehab. Sober 18 years with occasional dry-drunk episodes. Fingers crossed!!!

Blessings and prayers are sent your way.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The most you can do for her is give her the number to AA in her area, have her call for local meeting info. http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/

You can also pray, go to al-anon meetings http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/ and learn how to live with this disease.

She sounds like she wants help, so remember, she has to do it for herself. GIve her that opportunity to do it without doing it for her.

Keep coming back!