Love isn't always the drug, sometimes you need more

Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Love isn't always the drug, sometimes you need more

I was wondering if anyone who is dealing or has dealt with an alcoholic partner, either still drinking or recovering has had to take medication for either stress, anxiety or depression?
As a result of everything my husband put me through while drinking my doctor has put me on Effexor as he feels I am now sufferring from mild depression. Just looking for advice, similar situations, if anyone has been on this medication and if medication has helped them. I find myself very easily irritated and stressed now and I want to get back to my old self, but I don't want medication to numb my emotions so I can't experience a range of emotions, in particular happiness/joy.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Sapph.
I have had a boatload of stress producing things in my life over the years.
I'm not much into doctors or medication.
Have you considered alternative remedies?
Guided visualization audiotapes, positive affirmations, deep breathing and meditation are a few of the things out there that you can try as opposed to medication.
*Note: This is not in any way, shape or form negating the effectiveness of medication. It works for gabillions of people.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sapphoness..

yup been on lots of drugs - Effexor, Paxil, zoloft, Ativan, Xanax..Currently not with an A and currently drug free!!

I seem to have anxiety that rears its ugly head when I'm in a bad relationship..

Zoloft was the best for me..Paxil made me gain weight, Xanax saved my life when my brother died..I was on Effexor and it made me feel better but I had withdrawal syndromes (first for me) getting off it..

I am a firm believe of prescription drugs WITH some sort of therapy..I really think they need to go hand in hand..too many docs just prescribe the drugs..

sure they help you feel better but they do not heal the underlying issues..only therapy, Alanon or what have you can help that..

It takes a few weeks for the drugs to kick in and do your job..I don't remember feeling numb just feeling more normal on them..I think the longest I stayed on any drug was 6 months..

if you want more information just PM me..

Minx
Old 05-31-2005, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also agree with what Gabe said. Today I do stuff like meditate, take homopathic remedies, I exercise, I've always journalled and now I go to Alanon meetings..I consider that maintainance..

but since I have the depression gene in my family (my great uncle and my brother were suicides..)..I don't fool around..if I feel I need medication, I run straight to the doctor...
Old 05-31-2005, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I myself have been on meds for anxiety and depression on and off since the birth of my first child (3 and a half years ago.) I have been on zoloft, paxil and now effexor. I like effexor but if I miss a dose I start to get mild withdrawls. I have heard from alot of people and research on the net that the only downfall to effexor is the withdrawls, as long as when you want to stop you talk to your doctor so he can slowley wean you off of them.
I haven't had any problems with numbness of emotions with effexor, I find that I can function perfectly fine with it.

Just my sitiuation with the drug.
Good Luck
Old 05-31-2005, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Gabe, Minx and Jordon for your help and advice. It does help me to hear from others in the same situation and how you deal with things.