Rehab

Old 05-29-2005, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Rehab

Hi

New girl on the block here. any-one out there in the same situaation as me?
boyfriend currently in rehab doing awesome, if so let's chat
Old 05-30-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope your boyfriend does well. My husband decided to leave rehab after a week, not happy with him. Probably going to end up divorcing him. He's not really serious about stopping drinking.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband is in week three now of rehab, he did one week in house detox and then 3 weeks day detox and then will do a core program with day and evenings programs centered around people who work. He is attending AA meetings and has really contacted to several people who were in house detox with him. He finds acupuncture he receives in the program very helpful for stress he feels. Plus they have a smoking cesation program where he receives patches and gum to help quit smoking. One addiction at a time though.
My husband is a binge drinker , he decided on his own to check himself in, even though I asked many a time in the past two years. Things are good so far for him, I am still working on the years of hurt for me. As long as he continues to work on this I will stand by him. But, I will not let him jeopardize our family again.
Best wishes for you both, hope all works out.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My A BF went thru rehab starting Jan 3. Was there for 40 days. Is doing good. Sober since Jan 3. Realized that he needed to do this or he'd kill himself... really. He was that physically sick. He's still has some health problems, but is getting better with every day. The Rehab center has 'family' meetings once a week to help famliy members deal/cope. It has been very helpful. I also attend on line meetings and read as much as I can.
There are times where I wich we had more communications, but most of that is my fault. I have self esteem issues and I have moments of fear that I may puch him away which I don't want to do. So I stay quiet. Also there are times where he will make mention of something that he would have never opened up about in the past. This takes me off guard and I don't know how to react, so I don't and then feel later like I missed a real opportunity to get a real conversation going. SO I'm still a work in progress as well.
What's your story? LEt's talk.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hi Valentine,

My AH went into rehab 18 years ago and hasn't had a drink since. Yeah, he can be a dry-drunk at times, but with my growth and recovery (which I didn't start until last year because our son admitted to being an alcoholic), things are getting better. Wish I'd done the alanon and recovery program for myself and our son back then.

Please consider alanon and any other support groups you can locate. Get a head start on your recovery.

Proud of both of you.

Blessings
Old 06-27-2005, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well bf's been home 1 week today so far so good even off methadone now that's a victory. Considering Al-Anon/Nar Anon now as I have lots of thoughts srambling through my head such as does he still want to be with me, did he ever really love me on and on it goes, not that I think I will find the answer there.I know I can't be supportive if I am in my own head. I attended a 6 wk family program which was really helpful, but just not exactly what I was hoping for. I am having trouble communicating my feelings with him as i don't want to as I am scared what will come out.Help!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Trouble communicating what YOU feel? You're in the right place!!! I know that I have a hard time figuring out what I can and can't say to my husband about HIS disease. So I'm here getting my head and heart straightened out. It takes time and patience. More importantly, it took me figuring out that I needed help because I was sick. It wasn't all my husband's fault, like I had wanted to believe for so long. I owned part of the insanity that our life had become. This is a safe place to get another view point on whatever may be troubling you! Talk to us! We're hear to listen!

:-) Shannon
Old 06-27-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

valentine - welcome! this site will be a great deal of help. al-anon/nar-anon would definitely be a plus. check out some local meetings - face-to-face is a good thing! prayers to you and your boyfriend on continued recovery!

hugs- chris
Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Valentine

My husband just got out of rehab.He was in for 7 days because the insurance would not pay for more.He is currently doing outpatient.He found out in rehab he had the beginings of liver disease and he is only 40! He is also on meds to curb cravings.I wish you luck !
Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by valentine
Considering Al-Anon/Nar Anon now as I have lots of thoughts srambling through my head... I am having trouble communicating my feelings with him as i don't want to as I am scared what will come out.Help!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome, valentine!

I don't think I ever honestly communicated a feeling in my life before the people in Al-Anon, through sharing their own experience, strength and hope, showed me how to do that. I was like you describe: too afraid that my honesty might cause me to lose what I love, or even to find out what my true feelings were.

I can tell you that I experienced tremendous relief when I finally began to have open, honest communication with those around me. For me, communication is one of the keys to any successful relationship.