I wanted to share this ......

Old 05-22-2005, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I wanted to share this ......

My daughter is 13 years old. 11 of those years her father was an active alcoholic. He is now recovering. She wrote this and I thought it was quite good. Take from it what you will. I will just say that neither her father or myself see any CoDe traits in her. She is strong, she is mission minded, she is focused. I think Lacy is learning what she wants in a relationship and will require. Knowing my daughter, I don't think she will settle for less, even for love. I just wanted to share this ....

"What if ...."

What if I said I love you?
What would you say?
Would you be there for me
each and every day?
What if I said I need you?
Would you understand?
Would you say good-bye
or would you hold my hand?
What if I told you this was not a joke?
That I miss you everyday
And with every word I spoke
I think there's something
You don't see
And that thing is
You're a huge part of me
If I loose you forever
I don't know what I'd do
But I want you to know
I'll always love you.

By ........ Lacy-Jo
Old 05-22-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

That is wonderful. You should be very proud of her.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 05-22-2005, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We are! Sometimes we think her head is on straighter than ours! LOL
Old 05-22-2005, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Regarding Lacy...the counsellors at rehab when my AH was inhouse said the same thing about our son. He was strong, determined and showed very little signs of the alcoholism in our home.

He's now 25 and Friday celebrated his 5th month of sobriety. They didn't feel he needed counselling. They were wrong. It didn't show at the time and didn't really manifest itself until he got to college and then all hell broke loose.

She sounds strong and determined. That's grand, but the effects are still there. We're all damaged by the disease. Please, get her to alateen. There's so many deeply rooted problems buried inside her head that have yet to show itself. And don't forget to get yourself to alanon.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Blessings
Old 05-22-2005, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

She does go to ala-teen and is a teen counsellor herself for others. She is also an honor student, volunteers at the local animal shelter and plays soccer on a travelling soccer team. I do go to Al Anon, although I'm not as into it as many others, I do agree with their philosophy and I also am a sponsor to a few folks.

She goes to open AA meetings with her father and is not afraid to speak her mind and let others know what is bothering her, like so many teenagers do. She has been taught this since her little brother was diagnosed with cancer when she was 5 years old.

Lacy is well aware that Alcoholism can be hereditary and realizes she is at risk, not only from her father, but from members of my extendedfamily, as well as her fathers extended family, who are alcoholics and will not risk becoming an Alcoholic. At least that is where her head is at right now. We all make our own choices and so far her's have been great. We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful daughter.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Evidentally, you're with the program. It's good to know that you've both taken the proper steps to help her stay healthy and focused.

If I've offended you, my apologies. You neglected to say she was heavily involved in a recovery program.

Your daughter is also truly blessed to have parents who want to make sure her life doesn't get wrapped up in the disease.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow - i'm impressed and humbled!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No Kathy, you did not offend me. There is no way for you to know unless I offered the information.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

You do have a wonderful daughter. Wonderful, wise, talented, and truly special. You should be proud of her. I loved her poem.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Awww! Great poem, it brought tears to my eyes. Lacy sounds wise beyond her years!