They really do have "radar"

Old 10-06-2002, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They really do have "radar"

All last week I was thinking about how to get out of this relationship. (I want him to leave, I want to stay in my house.) He's been drinking lots lately. I went to an alanon meeting Friday night and Saturday morning he says to me that if he drinks again he'll leave! It's like he was reading my mind or something because I didn't say a thing about it. He said to give it a month. I asked what are you willing to do about it and he said maybe go to that AA thing. Well I've been down this road before but I think I'll just put it on the shelf for a month because I'm just too tired to think about it right now. Do you eventually just give up hope? Or do you just accept that they will never change?
Old 10-06-2002, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Hi Summer,
My "A's" are my sons, I will never give
up hope! In the meantime I am learning
the do's and don'ts and taking care of
me in the process. You are doing what you need to do for you, and that is meetings and coming here. That is up to you whether to stay or leave, many here stay, and many leave, you will know in time.
Keep coming back, we are here for you!

Hugs,
Old 10-06-2002, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Summer,

Welcome to the forum.

Somehow I missed your first post and didn't jump on the welcome wagon. Forgive me for being late.

People do change and recover from addiction every day. The problem is that we don't know if they will or not. We can always hope, but live as if it will stay this way without expectations.

We can't control it or cure it so what will we do???

We can only work on making our lives better. You can put his addiction on the shelf and continue to go to meetings and learn and work on yourself.

The more we learn, the easier it is to make decisions about our own lives. Keep doing what your doing and the answers will come.

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-06-2002, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Summer

Like Josie, I never give up hope for my son, and I pray for him every day. I "accept" that I cannot change him. I do not accept his disease or any of the chaos that goes with it. I just accept that I can do nothing about it, except to look after myself, go to meetings, work my recovery and pray.

Work your program and try to stay in a good place with this. The answer will come when you are ready. My prayers are with you.