SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   News at 9.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/5952-news-9-a.html)

JT 10-06-2002 06:42 AM

News at 9..

The GS's mother is on the front page of a local paper...picture and all. Part of a series about the "scourge" of drug deaths in young people in our area. Long article that details some morbid facts surrounding her death.

GEEEEEEZZZEEE

JT

smoke gets in my eyes 10-06-2002 06:56 AM

Hi JT...

Wow, what a thing to wake up to. I think I would just go back to bed.

Maybe you can console yourself that this story might help inspire someone to clean up, or at least help keep someone from trying the crap in the first place.

Big Hugs!
Smoke

JT 10-06-2002 07:05 AM

In fact that WAS one of my thoughts. Can't change it but people can be unfeeling...you expend time and energy moving past it and then some idiot shoves it under your nose and opens up the wound again!

Like I said...GEEEEZZZEE!

JT

Morning Glory 10-06-2002 08:57 AM

JT,

That sucks!!! That must have been so hard to read. I am so sorry. What a bunch of jerks. They could have at least let you know and warned you.

Watch a funny movie today and go get some ice cream to eat in your sanctuary.

Hugs,
MG

Paulie 10-06-2002 09:05 AM

WOW - Good Morning - yeah right.

As Smoke said (and I know it is easy for us to say) try to look at it in the way that it might help someone else from going down the same road she did.

Sorry you are going through this - I agree with MG, hit your santuary, but won't the ice cream melt in the tub???????

(((JT)))

dailyreprieve 10-06-2002 11:06 AM

Sorry to hear about what you read in the paper...must of been just terrible.
As far as ice cream melting put it on ice right next to the sanctuary,...with a long spoon...

osier59 10-06-2002 11:11 AM

WOW JT.
That must have been difficult for you. I agree, maybe it will keep others from walking down the same path. How old is the child? He could be affected a bit by this press, you know. Might want to be prepared for that!

Take it easy today. I like the prescription of Get a Cat and Go See MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING.

It will cure what ails ya!

Lots of hugs
Osier59

Josie 10-06-2002 12:13 PM

J.T., DRAT!!!

Sending (((HUGS)))) your way!

JT 10-06-2002 12:27 PM

O59....My GS is 5 now (4 last sping when this happened) and my dog wouldn't like a cat (or maybe he would..LOL!!!).

Thanks for the comfort everyone!!

This article actually said "She had two familiar feelings with her when she finally drifted off. Her son snuggled up against her and heroine pumping through her veins" And they printed his name!!

How sick is THAT!!

We should probably let his teacher know.

I am okay...#$@% happens! That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Right?

Hugs to all!

JT

osier59 10-06-2002 12:39 PM

JT,
I would let the teacher and school counselor know, just in case. They really appreciate a heads up when stuff like that happens.

Take care. Lots of hugs and love coming your way!

Osier59

Paulie 10-06-2002 12:47 PM

Ditto that JUT

(((JT)))

Again, maybe another addict mom will read the story and get some insight from it - we can pray that happens anyway!!!!

Paulie 10-06-2002 12:48 PM

Ditto that JT

(((JT)))

Again, maybe another addict mom will read the story and get some insight from it - we can pray that happens anyway!!!!

Morning Glory 10-06-2002 03:06 PM

Well, I think you should sue the paper. I don't think they can print a minor's name without permission. I can't tell you how mad I am over this. If you were closer I would be causing some trouble.

That causes me grief to hear that so I can just imagine how you feel. I'm glad your grandson is still young. This might not get back to him at his age, but let them know so they can watch for it.

Even though I'm angry about this, I do hope that it causes some parent out there somewhere to get help.

Hugs,
MG

Ann 10-06-2002 03:19 PM

Hi JT

I'm a little late today, but just want to say @$!!#@%^ to that newspaper. But if ONE person is saved or helped through this article, then maybe it is worth it.

I would protect the little guy, and try not to let this trigger all the old stuff that you have been working through.

When our friend recently died, they had a picture in the local paper of his truck where they found him (he was having coffee in his truck watching the sun come up before work when he died) and it was quite a shake-up for the family. I would write the paper to remind them that these articles need to be more sensitive of the family's feelings. And I agree GEEZZZZZEE.

This is definitely cause for a little Ben & Jerry's, and as Osier suggested, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is a definite spirit booster. The sanctuary is a perfect place for the ice-cream...I microwave mine to start it melting and it tastes sooo much better.

Aside from that wonderful? advice....I can only offer a hug ******{JT}.

JT 10-08-2002 04:38 PM

Getting it off my chest..

Let me tell you all a bit about her. She was the child of an alcoholic. Her father is an awful drunk...I have only met him a few times and I couldn't stand him. Her mother is a good girl...but also drawn to the type. Her current boyfriend is a big drinker. Her mother is not so different than half the people on this board. Hard life raising 3 girls on her own.

K and I talked about that a bit when she was with the Beav. She knew enough not to move in with him...she knew him and she loved him... but his drinking was a problem.

When she got together with her new boyfriend and he didn't have a license I warned her. We did talk about her choices. Her mother gave her a "One Day at a Time" book. Her mother and her sisters sat with her for 3 days and rubbed her feet etc to get her off the heroin that she never did until she met him.

I felt a kinship to her as I am an adult child and have made poor choices too. That could have been me...not the heroin, of course, but I made some questionable choices when I was alone with the Beav. Not bringing guys around him (I always thought that was not right for him) but running around with friends to bars and such.( I was 25 and single) I could have driven my car into a tree and left the Beav in the same situation. So no anger here from me at her...except for taking my GS around that stuff. But even that was the drug...we all made it a point not to babysit all the time...she after all was his mother. Her mother probably has some regert over that right now.

K was just a girl...like alot of the girls on this board and she ended up dead. And a wonderful little boy is without a mother. This &^%$ sucks...drugs and addiction and alcoholism and young lives being taken for no real reason. Tragic.

Maybe this belonged in my journal but I thought I would put it here instead. I have been calm since that article...but it brought it all up just the same. So I dump it on you all...where I am safe.

Thanks,
JT

Paulie 10-08-2002 05:12 PM

Jt -

I could have been her...it is the disease, not the person, but you know that.

(((JT)))

P-

Morning Glory 10-08-2002 05:49 PM

JT,

Write down all the good things and details about K. When your GS wants information this will help you remember the little things. My kids didn't ask me information about their father until recently. By that time 25 years had past and I couldn't remember the details. I wish that I had written them down. Maybe special times they had together etc...

We all know she wasn't a bad person. We all understand this disease. It really makes me angry too. It really is the sadest thing I've ever experienced. The pain that it causes so many is unbelievable.

Hugs,
MG

JT 10-08-2002 06:57 PM

That's a great idea MG and probably good for me too. And Ann, your friend could do that too. What a good idea!

Pauline, somehow you were what I needed today...without realizing it you pushed me passed the numbness and I feel THE big cry coming on. That's a good thing and I thank you.

Love you all!

JT

Paulie 10-08-2002 07:17 PM

Jt -

You are welcome my friend - and here is my shoulder - cry away!!!
I have some soft tissue for you too. I understand needing to cry about it, let it go.

Love P-

P.S.
I am going to write a really not nice letter!!!

osier59 10-08-2002 07:25 PM

JT
Just another hug from me. I was going to suggest that you keep some of the newspapers too, for much later when he starts asking questions. Knowledge is power, and right now things are sort of stacked against him. This may be just the info he needs to break the cycle and be the strong and healthy one!!

Lots of love to you. We are blessed every day to have you with us.

Osier59