Drunk for the last time

Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

ann...

I'm saddened to hear of your loss, and to know that another beautiful human being has been needlessly lost to the disease of alcoholism.

I hope that you have support around you and that you are able to reach out to that support for comfort in your time of grief.

I've known many alcoholics/addicts who gave up their lives to the disease, and what brings me comfort is the idea that, finally, their unquenchable pain is over.

I wish you peace and healing...
Old 05-19-2005, 04:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for the grief and loss you must feel. Just know you did everything you could, and in your heart you will always love him unconditionally. Addiction is so difficut to watch.....especially when you care. You did not give up on him.
Take care of yourself.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

(((Ann)))

My heart goes out to you and your children. What a tragic loss. What a tragic disease. Your post has confirmed my worst fears. My boyfriend has been drinking for 40 years and he's now entered the end stages of alcoholism. Over the last two years, we've had many close calls and many trips to the emergency room. And each time I thanked God that he pulled through.

My worst fear, besides losing him, was having my daughter find him dead. After all she's been through with living with his alcoholism, I just couldn't allow that to happen.

So two months ago, after warning him that the next time I picked him up from work in an intoxicated state that I would not allow him to come back home with me, I took him to a nearby hotel, made sure he made it safely into his room, and I then I drove away.

I hated to end my relationship that way, but I hoped it would be a wake up call for him. I hoped it would help him reach his bottom. But sadly, it didn't. It seems that he, too, has chosen alcohol over life. We were together for 23 years.

It's heartbreaking to watch someone you love dearly slowly destroy themselves. It's even harder to come to the realization that you can't do anything about it.

Like your husband, my boyfriend is the kindest, most compassionate man I've ever known. Watching the disease rob him of his life has been a nightmare. The only thing that would be worse than that would be to come home and find him in his final drunk.

Thank goodness you didn't have to see that. Your husband knew that you loved him. He knew that you did everything in your power to help him. He knew that you left him for the right reasons. He knew that you always had his best interests at heart. He would have changed for you if he could, but he couldn't find a way out of his addiction.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. At least your lovely man is no longer suffering. I'll say a prayer for your husband, you, your children, his mother, and all the people who loved him.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

I am so sorry.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmaslan
(((annd)))
My heart breaks just reading your post. My Ex sounds exactly like your ex was. I am preparing for the same news about him anytime. God be with you and your family.
Love, Patty
Patty,
I wanted to thank you for your response to my post. I have read each one over and over. It helps to know that others have an understanding of what it's like to see someone destroy himself. I especially wanted to respond to you because you are probably at the point I was at a few days ago.

If you feel like it, I would be interested to hear your story.

Thanks again,
Ann D
Old 05-22-2005, 02:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO MY POST: I have read this over and over. During an extremely difficult time, know that the encouragement and support you have all given me has been a great comfort.

Thanks,
AnnD
Old 05-22-2005, 03:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hoping For A Miracle

I am so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could. *HUGS*
Old 05-22-2005, 04:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

********{annd}}}}}

You gave to him all you could and it did make a difference. Love is the only thing that is really real.....s
Old 05-22-2005, 07:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Please accept my sincere condolences.You and all the family are in my heart and prayers.
The what if,s.... In your heart,of hearts, you know,that humans cannot cure another soul.We are limited,in what we can do for others,and the help we can give.That we are for sure powerless.You did the very best,that you could,do.He knew too that you tried to help him.But nothing changes until something deep down within,the person,changes.This place,in another,nobody can enter.We are powerless.May he rest in peace.He is now free.He was so blessed to have you in his life.
God Bless,and may God,s Peace be with you always.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I can only imagine the pain you're feeling right now. My uncle struggled with alcoholism and drug addiction until the day he died at 47. Please don't blame yourself, this wasn't your fight.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Annd,

I am so sorry for your loss and my prayers are with you and the rest of your family. Thank you for taking the time out to share with us. The what if's are difficult to step away from but know that his HP is holding him in his arms. May time allow the healing that will bring you peace. I am sooo sooo sad for this to have happened.

D
Old 05-22-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
sam
"What Now?"

Your story hit me hard today. I have been thinking about my AH all day today and how I am scared for his health. I have been separated from him for a year now. I know I had to do it for my daughter and I. I had stuck with him for 17 years. But, what scares me is that he has no purpose in his life but to work and come home to drink. He has gained endless amount of weight and is on blood pressure and cholesterol medicine. My heart goes out to him. It's so confusing sometimes and today has been one of those "waves" of confusion, crying for him. I wish I could help him, but I know I can't.

My heart and thoughts go out to you, annd. As everyone else has said, God will get you through this. I don't even know who you are, but feel a connection very powerful for you and your family. So, wherever you are, God loves you and so do I.

Sam
Old 05-22-2005, 07:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I too am so very sorry for your loss. It's a fear most of us live with everyday, but fortunately most of us don't ever have to really face. Please don't blame yourself. You know there was nothing you could have done to change things. I believe that he is in a better place where alcohol no longer holds any power over him. He is finally free from his addiction. I pray you find the comfort, peace and love that you deserve.