Just for Today

Old 10-01-2002, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Just for Today

I have been reading a lot of the posts tonight, and thought I would share this from Al Anon's Courage to Change

September 30
Just for today I can try out new behavior. I can take the point of view that perhaps I have been given a lifetime to learn something about myself. Maybe life is a series of experiments in which some succeed and some fail, and in which the failures, as well as the successes, point the way to fresh experiments.

Just for today I might try slightly changing some pattern of behavior that repeatedly causes me problems, just to see what happens. For example, if I have a habit of responding with a negative attitude to a particular person or situation -- getting out of bed, working, requests for help, authority figures-- I can try a different, more positive response. I can think of it as research and learn from whatever happens.

This day is all I have to work with. The past is over, and tomorrow is out of my reach. I will try to remember what a great gift this day can be and make full use of it.

Today's reminder
Just for today, I will look for new ways to enjoy life-- stop by a garden, try a new hobby, or call a good friend. I can look for humor. I can savor love. I can explore something new. Maybe just for today, I'll try standing on my head to see if I like the view.

"just for today , I will find a little time to relax and to realize what life is and can be; time to think about God and get a better perspective on myself: == Alcoholism, The Family DiseaseCourage to Change
Old 10-01-2002, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Osier

I really needed this right now - Thank you.

I tend to look too far ahead or get overwhelmed by the many things I need to do, and this reminds me that it is all about one day at a time. I can make changes, just for one day, and I can keep my attitude up, just for one day...and before you know it I may have some healthy new patterns forming.

Great post.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I have been practicing changing my approach at work. Some people just can't be pleased, but at least I walk away feeling good about myself when I don't play the game.

I just don't think I can stand on my head anymore. I just might try it one more time before I'm to old to ever do it again. I'll have to wait until my shoulder heals from who knows what though. I'm the only one I know who injures myself in my sleep.

Thanks O59,

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-02-2002, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Osier,
This is a wonderful, encouraging, positive
message-thank you!!!!
M.G., I'm doing the same thing right now,
changing my approach at work-there's been
some negative things going on and it will
only affect me if I let it!!

Hugs,
Old 10-02-2002, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh Boy! I am going to stand on my head today!! What a great idea MG! I am also going to try to do a cartwheel. My niece can do a cartwheel both ways, she is 5yrs old. I could only do one from the left, you should see me try one from the right!!! LOL I need this today, to break the SADNESS that is lurking. thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

After posting such a powerful thing as this, I went back to some old behaviors and had an icky night. I did the same darn thing expecting different results. and.... well, I got the same old results. Isn't it funny how we can KNOW what to do and still not do it??

Progress, not perfection. Right?

Osier59
Old 10-02-2002, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Osier,
I don't think any of us well ever get
this perfect, for me it will be a life-
long journey!! Fall down, get back up,
fall down, brush off, and learn something
from it each and every time!

Hugs,
Old 10-02-2002, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Osier

I am going to try this for a day ,and see if I can do it .
Hopefully old habits won't kick in