Advice for a truly innocent victim

Old 05-11-2005, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for a truly innocent victim

I'm new to this site, but what I've read really touches me. My concern is for my nephew, and I'm seeking advice from anyone who thinks they can help.

My sister is a single mom, alcoholic binge drinker. She lives alone with her 2 and a half year old son, so when she goes on a binge, he is on his own. Most often, she will call someone [me, a close friend] to watch the baby, but the reality of the situation we really don't know if there are times that she does not, and the baby is at risk. Actually, no matter which way you look at it, the baby is at risk in this situation.

Child protective services were called in December, did their "investigation," my sister went for some out-patient treatment, and five months later we're back where we were.

What can I do, if anything? This is breaking my heart.

Thank you for your help.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't got a clue about USA child protection but here in the UK they will try as hard as possible to keep a child in the family, however once the risks are too great the child will be removed.

In the UK family and friends are given preference as foster carers but it pays to take the official route of being registered because it means they get some state assistance (financial and training).

It might be worth approaching your Social Services to find out what the options would be where you live. You could use their previous investigation as the reason for your enquiry if you aren't comfortable disclosing more.

trust your instincts as to what you can or can't take on - that's what the best foster carers I know do! You can't always do what you'd like but it's better to find out as much as you can first and give yourself time to think.

I haven't said talk to sis because I'm betting you've been doing that for a long time!! Look after yourself, find out all that you can, and take care of your own emotions - you can't do anything to stop this hurting the child so make sure you know that through every cell of your being!!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well, personally, i would call child services again and report her.
chances are that talking to her about it first will just make her angry and defensive.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Keep calling. And don't stop. Especially if there might be an instance where she's totally whacked out and the kid is unsupervised.