Is He An Alcoholic?

Old 05-10-2005, 03:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is He An Alcoholic?

As my husband only drinks 6 days of the week after work and conceals exactly how many tins of lager he drinks is he an alcoholic?

His behaviour after drinking on those 6 days of the week is making our family life a misery. He just drinks for an hour in the bathroom whilst washing and doing his contact lenses, eats his evening meal or sometimes doesn't and goes straight to bed.

He is like one person during the day and another after emerging from the bathroom after drinking. Sundays when he does not work he is also a totally different person usually and does not drink which then enables him to stay up later in the evening.

Could he be an alcoholic or just a stressed out workaholic as this is what he thinks about most of the time - work as we have our own business - but he is getting moodier and moodier and making my life a misery.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know but this might help you answer your question:

DSM IV - Tr Diagnostic criteria for alcohol dependency.

This might also help:
National Inst. on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - FAQ

Hope that helps you.

Whether you feel he is or isn't if it's a problem to you then being here is good, it's a great place for help.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

What you describe sounds like my husband. He takes a daily vacation mostly on work nights. I don't know if he is an alcoholic or not...his drinking has not had a huge impact on his life. Even in AA they will say that there are heavy drinkers and there are people who drink alcoholically. Heavy drinking long term is risky because it can flip before you know it.

I look more at the behaviors than the drinking itself. When it gets to be too much too often I say something to him and to his credit he listens. But as long as I am being treated well it is more of an annoyance.

Hugs and welcome,
JT
Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/pdf/S17.pdf

Answer the questions in this link and see if they apply to your life. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

No matter what you call it, if it causes a problem, then I'd say it's a problem!

Please check out the links in the previous posts. You may find some answers there and perhaps some comfort, as well.

I wish you peace...