Eye opening perspective

Old 05-01-2005, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eye opening perspective

The other day there was a post about which addiction was worse, and someone said something like "thank goodness he's not addicted to heroin".

Well, tonight I had a long conversation with a heroin addict, she's been using more than twenty-five years. She was like most addicts, she has no idea how bad she looks and she gave us a long speil about how most addicts just use to maintain, not to get high, and that they go through life without anyone even knowing they use, that it's "no big deal" etc.

I'm thinking to myself..."yeah, right..."

So, I challenged that. Because I teach for a not for profit, we sometimes get students who are obviously using something and heroin addicts are easy to spot. And I told her so. They often nod off, (they're "on the nod" as they say) or they're picking at their skin, have tracks in their arms or other places, their color sucks...ect ect. And I said so. She insisted that normal folks do the same things. Okay, whatever. Then she said, "At least we're not as bad as the damn drunks! They lie, they become enraged, they wreck cars, there's just no friggin' way to figure out what they're going to do next."

Another in the room said, "but they don't steal to support their habit." And the addict replied, "yes they do, they just do it differently. They take from their family money, money that should be buying their kids shoes or paying their rent, they use it to drink. It's worse than shoplifting because they're doing it to people who love them."

Here was a woman totally lost to our society. She doesn't work, is a walking billboard that screams " I am a drug addict" yet she could accurately describe an A and in her world and it's pecking order, she feels "above" an A.
How's that for a different perspective?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well my ex ABF once said that that at least HE never put a needle in his arm. I laughed to myself and thought--yeah, but you did everything else. To me--there is no difference how someone chooses to run from life and their problems. Needles or booze or pills---all the same, they are lying to themselves and everyone else.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was the OP on that thread WTL... very interesting to hear another perspective indeed!
Old 05-01-2005, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have thought of this often, since I have known heroin addicts in the past (a good friend lost two brothers, both amazing, talented people, who fell into addiction many years ago). My AH is disdainful of drug addicts, thinks they are a few steps lower and at least he's not a "drug addict". Unfortunately, I now know that there is no worse, only addiction. And BTW, before I married my AH I WOULD have said that heroin addicts were worse!!!!!! I guess I always associate it heroin addicts as one step away from death, but alcholics are usually on a slow highway to the end...and bring everyone down with them.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hadnt read this thread till now, and how good the timing is for me. the last conversation i have had with my ex was partly about exactly this. and he totally pissed me off and frustrated me to the point,that i honestly feel i have no time for him at all now. you see, he brought my son into it, who he really knows nothing about---comparing my son's "illegal" drug use to his legal drinking habit.after he had already compared it to my smoking cigarettes.(not to mention the fact,that the ex will do a line of coke if it is offered to him,and hes not paying for it) there is so much i wanted to say, could have said but i honestly thought, why even bother??? cuz he just doesnt get it.or doesnt want to get, i dont f***ing know.
i dont want to get off topic here, so i guess i will say i guess it is part of a true addicts behavior to make excuses to make themselves feel better about what they know is not right. even if that excuse is putting down other people.
and might i add, that i just had a conversation with my son who is frustrated with many of the people around him that have to get high on whatever, every day--even at work..........i think he is finally growing up into the fine young man i always knew he could be.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohols just as bad a drug as any other drug. Feeling better about using one drug vs. another is a pretty sad comparison.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

They're all just rationalizing thier use to make it seem that they are "Not that bad".

Minimization is the norm for A's of all types. Otherwise, theyd have to face thier own disgust with themselves that they ARE that bad.