how long

Old 04-30-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how long

here's my big question. hope it has an easy answer.
if the functioning alcohol is functioning in stage 2 for about 20 years. when does it get worse? can they possibly really manage to stay drunk that long and not go into stage 3. and if we are so worried about them dying, how is it that there are plenty of his relatives around that aren't dead yet. they have lived their whole life. they are drunks. they haven't gone on to stage 3. is this functioning maybe better than some straight people at their worst?
am i trying to rationalize? anybody have any thoughts or experience on this?
Old 04-30-2005, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

mine was functioning for over 30 years and when he retired 2 years ago has really taken a nosedive. drinking pretty much 24/7 with a few lucid moments. i guess it's different for different folks. make sense?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think everyone is a little different. I've also seen people who seemed to be functioning pretty well on the surface anyway in spite of daily drinking. I've also seen someone drop dead with no warning at the age of 41. I guess his system couldn't take it anymore. The saddest thing is a friend that drank every day for at least 30 years. We noticed he was acting strange for a week or so. Had the peramedics come out and check on him and they thought he was ok. He had been on a major binge because one of his friends had died and we thought he was depressed and drunk. He started having fainting and difficulty breathing so the peramedics came again and this time took him to the hospital.

We found out he had alcohol dementia. He was covering it up pretty good plus being drunk so much we didn't know what was happening to him. Saw him today at the nursing home. He keeps trying to tell us he's going to be released on Monday. Asks if his cat is inside the apartment and has water. Sounds pretty normal except for he's been in a nursing home since last August, his apartment is no longer his and someone else adopted his cat. I don't think you can ever predict how someone will be effected by this. It's a scary thing.