Why am I so irresponsible???

Old 04-22-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueMoon
Do ya think maybe it just takes practise??? (PLEASE say "yes" cuz then I might have a chance too!)

I put things off and put them off and it's so DUMB sometimes cuz I don't put them off and forget about them - ooooooh nooooo!
I put off doing them and then stress myself sick about it.

I think I've decided that for me anyway, the "why" doesn't matter. Trying to figure out the "why" just stresses me even MORE.

So instead, I'm trying to do the "take baby steps" approach.
I have a teeeeeeny-tiny kitchen and it has been disgustingly trashed for WEEKS. It has been totally over-whelming me. I got the "brilliant" idea the other nite - 'What if I just went and washed the SILVERWARE + nothing else?'

wow - that went ok - wasn't scary - wasn't overwhelming -
so this morning, I washed JUST the plates + bowls -
tonite I washed the 10 zillion tupperware thingies -

I'm not done yet -(sigh) - but I think I found a way that might work for me.

Maybe with the being late and paying bills late (I do that!), maybe if I just pick ONE thing to be on time with?
Then, like my messy kitchen, it's no longer "EVERYTHING" cuz there's that one little thing that I did good/right/whatever.

(and for *me*, it's most definitely depression-related!)

Blue

Oh Blue Moon, you sound just like me!!

I remember a few months ago staring at the monstrous pile of dishes and just feeling so overwhelmed, then I thought about what I had learned in Al-Anon, only instead of "One Day at a Time", I told myself "One Glass at a Time", I felt a little silly applying al-anon stuff to dishes, but hey ,whatever works, right??
Old 04-22-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, I don't feel so bad. I'm terrible for remembering things. Not only that but I lose things all the time. Everyone's got it with the online banking. It's a lifesaver for me. Sometimes, I even pay some of the bills before I get them. I usually know about how much they are and if I'm a little short, at least I'm only late a little bit and not the whole amount. On the other hand if I'm over it's a nice treat for the next month.

I had to work really hard at trying to do things as I thought about them as opposed to later. Later I'd forget. I also had to work really hard to put my To-Do pile all in the same place so I wouldn't lose important things.

Blue Moon is right too. Just start on little things. I find I get really discouraged when I see a big mess to deal with. If I can focus on a little one, I don't feel so bad. Sometimes I even get on a roll and get more done than I planned to do.

I know you can get those huge wipe-off calenders that you can hang up. I'm getting one for my fridge. Abf laughed when I said it but who cares? If it helps me remember things it's worth it to me. It'll also give me a "plan" to follow. With a baby on the way, it's only going to get worse for me if I don't do something to fix things. I might have to try some of the other suggestions made on here. Excellent thread!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Oh Queen, Dont let it consume you. When I feel like I am totally swamped with emotions, good or bad, I cant even remember to eat...well no ok I remember that! But, you see what I mean. I was looking at my credit report and funny thing is..there were 4 months where I had been late on every bill I had. Which four months was it...the four when he was drinking more excessively than usual and I almost lost my job during that time bc I couldnt even make it to work out of worry for him. I had the money, just couldnt get things done. Like Jess, I know mark down everything! I finish every day by looking at my calendar for the next and mentally preparing myself. I feel better about things in general bc I am really looking after myself. There is a book called, The Busy Womasn Guide to being Organized that helps too...dont sweat it, you have ALOT on your plate
Old 04-22-2005, 08:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

queen, i have noticed that as well, especially as of late, ever since i started detaching and letting go- i have really been letting go-the bills are late, the house -well to heck with it! and the dishes! i realize that is just a rebellious streak i have about those dang dishes since i was always in the kitchen cleaning up after my large (9) family. -
i know it is a reaction, but i am not going to feel guilty. When i do feel way overwhelmed by the things i Know i have to do-like pay the bills- i pray to my HP to Help Me! then i try to do some relaxing breathing techniques and follow the first place my nose leads me to- and things start to flow and get done. First things First has been my mantra lately. the kids' stuff, i am asking them to help take responsibility in keeping up with it, becoz it is in their interest to pay attention as well. -and if they forget i don't feel guilty about that either becoz they are kids and they don't need undue pressure to keep up with everything in the world either... and they rarely have a problem with that as well.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

lil new but...

I have that same problem, I have 3 sons and I get distracted really easy with work or with other family members but deep down just tell yourself, your doing the best you can at the moment, some kids don't have any parents and just having you around is a blessing.
I use to carry a small notebook in my pocket and write things down then check it off as I went and now I find that I do everything in my notebook 1st then I rest the rest of the time. Just a thought...
I have an older brother that has 3 kids and a girlfriend and he runs the roads and does all that stuff I use to do and I watch him sometimes and think wow man, you have nothing but I saw that he doesn't even know it. The hardest part I've found is not being able to cut up when I feel like it. It's like age set in, or motherhood set in and now I have to be perfect. But no ones perfect. Take a big deep breathe and do what works for you even if it seems crazy. Priorities sometimes if you lay them out hang them on your fridge and then read them all the time. Sometimes that helps.
Well anywho, somethings to think about but I understand just keep up the good work so far. Your kids are still with you and that's important, it shows your doing something right even if you don't see it
Becca
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Hey my housekeeper found me before my H found me and it was clear from the beginning that she is staying no matter who else comes or goes.

She was looking for something to do I told her I did not have much money she said money was not what she was looking for so being a single mom who worked went to school I jumped on her offer to help me...
Old 04-22-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow I really had no idea so many of us have this same problem. I'm too scared to have autobill pay, I think that I would not have the money there and then have more overdraft charges. I do pay them online just not automatically.
Jessica, about putting gas in my car I hate it soooo much that I have ran out of gas 2 times within a year.
And I am always running so late that I have had 7 speeding tickets in the last 5 years. The last one I got I didn't pay it and now there is a $50 late fee on it. Why am I such a flake about these things???????
Old 04-22-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Honey - you just have a lot on your plate.... Don't beat yourself up about it. The important thing is that you recognize that it is a problem...now you have to work on correcting it. What you're dealing with is only human. You do the best that you can and that's all the matters.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well, it is nice to know that I am not alone with the running on empty. lol I do that all the time, my H pumps gas for me 98% of the time, but there is 2% where I have to myself, I will look at my gas tank and if the red light hasnt come on yet, I know I will make it home. I have been lucky and only ran out of gas once, and it was on my street, I had to have help pushing my car the rest of the way home.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I began treatment for ADD several years after my son (it is genetic, also; unfortunately I do not have the hyperactivity with mine) As chaos increases surrounding alcoholism and our reactions to it; I find that my ADD symptoms are geting much worse. I talked to my doctor about it a few weeks ago at a regular 3mo. med ck-up and he told me that with increased stress, I will notice the medication is not as effective. Perhaps that info can be helpful to someone.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

mindi - sounds like you are in good company!!! take it easy lon yourself - just try to work on one thing at a time - whichever you think is the biggest priority.

my hat is off to all of you who are parents - whew!!!!