Who here is a member of Al-Anon, please raise your hand?

Old 04-21-2005, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Who here is a member of Al-Anon, please raise your hand?

M Me! Me! Me!

Just wondering how many of us on these boards are members of Al-Anon.

My D.O.E. (Date of entry):

August 17, 1988

and
December 12, 2003

(Had a 2.5 year graduation into HELL)

I hope to never "go back out" again.

I attend 6-7 meetings a week, very active in service, sponsor other and have a sponsor, I pray daily, meditate "sometimes" (Weak part of my program).

It definitely works for me....in every aspect of my life.

Tell me your story as it relates to al-anon.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My D.O.E (Date of Entry July 7, 2004..

Not currently living with active alcoholism (the exA left in September 2004..)

I go twice a week,have a sponsor, I'm on step 9, active in service, pray, meditate and read. I write a gratitude list every morning.

I honestly can credit AlAnon with giving me tools to now see the glass as half full..I am so much more positive and grateful about life.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I first started going I was so upset that I didn't pay any attention to the actual date, but it was in Aug of 2004. Should have gone 20 years sooner, maybe I would have avoided a second marriage to an A. I can only go twice a week, but I'm beginning to see things changing for me, at home with my A's and at work. I've found I can apply a lot of the learnings to most aspects of my life. It's made a huge difference in my life already.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Old 04-21-2005, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

March, 2004. Should have been 4/1987, but...
Old 04-21-2005, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My Date of Sobriety is June 7, 1981.

And on my 3rd AA birthday my Sponsor strongly suggested that I also needed alanon.

So my D.O.E. is June 7, 1984.

Not only has Alanon helped me tremendously with my relationships with both sober and practing alkies it was and is so VERY IMPORTANT in my own continued growth and recovery in sobriety.

There are still (and probably always wil be lol ) alkies (sober and practicing) in my life.

Through Alanon I have learned how NOT TO ENABLE but still be compassionate. I have learned how TO TAKE CARE OF ME much more so than I have learned in AA. I have learned so much.

I must say that I do not believe my sobriety would be as great as it is all these many years without the help of my alanon friends and family.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 04-21-2005, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

March 2004. I don't get to the meetings to often, but I still consider myself a member. They always welcome me back with open arms. And I know they are always there when I need them.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

I did the same thing as Friend of Bill... I went to Al Anon for about 2 yrs, didn't get a sponsor, didn't work the steps... but I read the readings and listened in the meetings. I was so self sufficient, I knew that I could do this by myself.

I got busy so then I quit going... but 2 years later when I found myself in enough pain and despair, I knew where to go for help.. I pretty much crawled back into the rooms and have been going ever since.

I use the date of Sept 15, 2000 as my date of entry, but I with 2 extra years of "practice" before that.

Thank GOD for this program. Thank God for the fellowship, and for those who have gone before me. Thank god for the newcomers who continue to come into the rooms, to show me how far I've come and for teaching me new things.

Hugs
Barb
Old 04-21-2005, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

FOB...I thought I was old!!

12/11/1992 to the best of my knowledge. I did write it in my orginal daily reader ( where is that??) but that has been through the mill...and through a window at one point! Ward went with me to my very first meeting and never went back. All I did was cry.

I can't lay my hands on it right now and I will correct it if I am wrong. I went to 4-5 meetings a week for 5-6 years then layed off. I began to get sick again and went back to 3-4 meetings a week. We moved and I never did get going again in our new location...I have been here at SR and for that I am grateful. I am close enough to hit one meeting a week at my old location but I am feeling the need to connect again closer to home.

Hugs,
JT
Old 04-22-2005, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

October 2003. Though I was around the fellowship on and off for 20 years, that is when I started working the steps and seeking my own recovery. It takes what it takes. Hope nobody has to go through that much to get the gift of recovery. Hugs, Magic
Old 04-22-2005, 05:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This was my second go at Alanon, I am very glad that I went back, the first time I attempted which was 6 years ago, I didnt open myself up, I actually thought it was crazy, I sat and listened and thought to myself, why am I here, I am not the one with the problem, I dont drink and I stopped going.

April 2004, I decided to go back, and it was the best decision I ever made, I wasnt ready six years ago and last year I kept going, and I came to SR and started reading, I have gained so much knowledge and learned so many different tools to help myself, and to put the focus on me.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I headed to the rooms of al-anon,June 15 1986,after having my own blackout at a family reunion.I was not truthful,about my own drinking back then.My biniculers were on my hub.Kept saying to myself,no wonder i drink,look what im living with.In the first year i was there,I was,very silent,just listening.Went to some Open AA meetings,to try to get a clearer understanding of alcoholism.Something was still missing.,inside of me.Didn't know what it was.Finally i spoke at my al-anon meeting.After,sharring,another alcoholic,in this meeting, came and suggested that i go to AA as well.So i did,and one day,at this AA meeting, i heard my story from another alcoholic.Finally i took the focus of my hub,onto myself,and got honest.And this is where i began my own recovery,no matter what hub was doing or not doing.Now all the peices to my puzzle was finally reveled,for i too am alcoholic.So,i continued to go to both programs for years,and do the things i needed to do to get weller..Is that a word,weller?..lol...Al-anon,teaches me MY part in all of the messes.I was good to blame others for my actions and my words,before program.Today i take full responsibility for them.And live in the 12 steps,to the best that i possibly can.One Day at A Time.
Thanks for letting me share,
God Bless,take care!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

july 2004 for me. i go to 1-2 meetings a week, but have not found a sponsor yet and haven't started working the steps altho i believe there are potentially 2 folks who i may approach about sponsorship. i do read literature daily, pray many, many times during the day & nite and try to meditate. i have met so many wonderful folks and it truly has helped me break out of isolation. wish i would have gotten involved years ago but....better late than never!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats to all of you!! I have heard such wonders for al-anon, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I've been to literally 20 different meetings and I've tried consistently attending the same meeting. I've had two sponsors, but that did not work out either (one did not return my calls, the other had legal problems and jumped at the opportunity to be my "sponsor" b/c I am an attorney...). Although I don't attend meetings anymore, I am an avid al-anon follower. I read lots of the literature and I am working the steps with my therapist.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just recently began attending Alanon meetings and went to my second meeting last week. I have only gone to one meeting per week and maybe I need to try going to more. I am just beginning to get comfortable with the people in this one group, and I guess I am scared to meet other people in other groups. I guess this is one of my weaknesses. Alanon seems to be wonderful and I am really trying to learn how to take care of myself.

Sassygal
Old 04-22-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

the last time i threatened my husband that he needed to go to AA, i heard in my head "YOU need to go to Al-Anon". so i found SR and i called the local AA and went in November 2004. Back in 1988 i went to the first one, but like someone else said, i thought why should i go? I'm not the one with the problem! Boy, how i could have had 15 years more of serenity if i had only stuck with it then! I have not found a sponsor yet, but am knee-deep in step four. it has been cathartic to say the least. Oh yeah, i have been getting my "books" about one per day and have been reading like a fiend! Melody Beattie's beyond codependency and How to Get Them Sober and THe truth about divorce and kids and there are a few more on the way!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

December 2004...don't go as often as I should be as Jessica said I do feel like I am a member, that is always welcomed with open arms. Hats off to all that have been so dedicated to themselves!!!!
Love, Patty
Old 04-22-2005, 11:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Congrats to us all! What beautiful recovery stories youve shared. Giving myself the gift of recovery hasbeen the most loving thing I have done for myself.

Getting into recovery had to come at the time it was meant to be. For me, it came only when the pain was tremendous and overwhelming. Thats when I learned the definition of SURRENDER!

Ive learned how to "unlearn" destructive behaviors.
Ive learned how to ask for help.
Ive learned how to do loving things for myself and others.
and most especially..............

Ive learned that I am NOT alone......and never have to be, not as long as I have my beautiful best friend by my side...GOD!

Keep coming back, friends, I NEED you!
Old 04-22-2005, 11:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am!

I became a member in early September 2004, although I had a gentle introduction to the concepts on here since about February last year.

To say that it has been life-changing is an understatement. If you were to only look back on my posts here, you would see how my thinking has got healthier week on week.

On a practical level, in the past year I have joined al-anon, had fantastic individual and couples counselling, left my fiance, moved 220 miles away to my home town (after being away for 7 years), and am probably about to dissolve the partnership with my ex A. And I wonder why I'm on anti-depressent medication!

On a more spiritual level, the benefits have been enormous. I have learnt that secrets only make you sicker, that if I don't detach I cause harm to myself and other people, that my family is amazing, that it is OK to look after myself first, that my life is what I make it, that even though I might not be best buddies with fellow al-anoners I can still love them, that actions speak louder than words, that I can survive on my own, that I grow in difficult situations and a million other things that I will add when I remember them.

But most importantly, I have learnt that I deserve the best that life can offer. I do not have to settle for second best. And that, for me, life with a non-recovering addict/alcoholic, is short changing me in the most destructive way possible.

Great thread.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It never dawned on me to record the date but it was about a year ago.
I go faithfully once a week and it's changed my world for the better in marvelous ways I can't even describe.