It's Our Birthday!!!!!

Old 09-15-2002, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Our Birthday!!!!!

This is the Soberrecovery site's 2nd anniversary! I was just looking at some of my first posts and remembering what a basket case I was when I came here. Thanks to the wonderful people on this site, each and every one of you, I have learned a lot of things since Aug of 2001. The most important thing this site has given me, I think, is community. A group of people with similar problems who understand, who share their experience, strength and hope with me, and who allow me the same blessing. I love you guys!

Many, many thanks to Jon and to Bob, for giving us this incredible forum and putting so many resources at our fingertips.

In honor of Soberrecovery's 2ND BIRTHDAY .... what has been the greatest thing about this site for YOU? Was there a post that you loved, a phrase that turned your head around, someone who was there for you? What has this site done for your recovery? Inquiring minds want to know!

mega hugs!
Smoke :kisshug:
Old 09-15-2002, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fantastic Member

Happy Birthday!
I am not sure who to thank...............everyone really...there have been days when I just was out of answers and felt like I was slip slid'n away and I always know that I could come here and "someone" will have a word of hope to share. I am far from my final journey, but I don't think I would have made that break without all of you. It is still difficult and I am sure it will get worse........but thank you to each and everyone for sharing your time with me.
Many more happy returns Soberrecovery/alanon.
Love and appreciation..........
Kitty
Old 09-15-2002, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

For My Best Friends

<center>For My Best Friends

This is for you, my best friends,
the people i can tell my soul too
Who can relate to me like no other
Who I can laugh with to no extents,
Who I can cry too when times are tough,
Who can help me with the problems of my life.

Never have you turned your back on me
Or told me I wasnt good enough
Or let me down

I don't think you know what that means to me
You have gone through so much pain and you still have time
For me.
And I love you for listening even when inside YOU are dying
And I look up too you because you are strong,
and caring
and beautiful.
Even though you don't think you are.

And I hope you know that I am always here
To listen to you laugh and cry and help
In all the ways that i can
And I will try to be at least half the friend you are
To me.

I hope you know I would not be the person I am today, with out you.
My best friends.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words escape me
at this moment
that seems like the end
yet it is only the beginning
when friendships are close
and dreams are far
you were there for me.
Tears fill me
with memories of both good and bad
some nearly forgotton
yet all dear to the heart
you were there for me.
In times of trouble
and in times of thanks
you stood by my side
and held me up.
Through your ever-patient ears
to your comforting hugs
you were there for me.
From that first day
when I saw you and knew
that you would love me for who I was
you were there for me.
And until the day
when we are old and gray
I will always know that
you are there for me.

Thank you all,

MG

Last edited by Morning Glory; 09-15-2002 at 07:41 PM.

Old 09-15-2002, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mg, I'm all choked up. That was beautiful!
Old 09-15-2002, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Love, courage, strength and the fellowship of people who have become family to me, are among the greatest gifts this forum has given me.

We have laughed together, cried together, chewed our nails and vented together...we have shared our victories together, and held each other up through times where all we needed was a friend to say "I care", and most of all we have grown together, taking the journey out of the darkness and into the light.

To Jon, Bob, and all those who put this together and keep it running, I send my heartfelt thanks and appreciation.

My favourite lines? There are a few..."Don't second guess the future" is one from Ogly, and my favourite line from Smoke when we beat ourselves up after a nice deed backfires.."You did something nice, let it go!" Then there is MG's "You gotta work through it" and her "Imagine Peace" thread that I visit so often,
and JT's special prayer "Lord put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth", Barbiedeb's inspirations, Josie's strength, and Kitty's @$#%%@@! (we all need one of those), and Pauline's spirit and strength. And all the cheering and encouragement from Tweetybird, Nana, and Bonbon's dancing elephant are enough to keep our spirits soaring.

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US!!!! And a special "Thank you God" for letting Smoke be on the chat board several months ago when this sorry soul was desperately in need of a friend who understood.

I love you all and thank each one of you for the gift of your friendship.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Where do I start???
My HP led me here one night, I had just
started working on my recovery. Everyone
welcomed me with open arms and hearts,
what a great feeling! Experience, strength
hope, wisdom, love, laughter-what more
could a girl ask for?
I have gone from a deep, dark, dreary
place with hope and faith.
Changes? Recently a co-worker brought
up my attitude-that I am so peaceful and
calm now when before-I was a royal bitch!
I was having a conversation tonight that
turned negative-I wanted to REACT, instead
I changed the subject-problem solved.
Now before........
I visited my son today, (he never did call), we had a wonderful visit. There
was no LOOK what you are doing to yourself
I CAN'T take this anymore etc. etc. Nope, none of that-it was all
positive and happy. (He has also noticed
the change in me, by the way.)
This week I wanted to go on a rescue
mission. I had to stop myself, self-talk,
and pick up a recovery book. This will
be a lifelong process, but I'm here and
I'm grateful and I'm O.K.
Happy Anniversary and I love YOU ALL!

Hugs,
Old 09-16-2002, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Hi all -

I truly believe that God puts things in our life when we need them. I found thi site in February of this year. Didn't post much at first especially on the Anon boards. In April I lost a friend to this disease of addiction and all of you were here for me. Between F2F meetings and here I was able to work through my anger and let it go.

I appreciate all of you so much. I have a tendency to ramble LOL, like you didn't know that, and you are all so patient with me. I have had many A-Ha moments around here and all of you have helped me have them.

After a few months of lurking around the Anon boards more than posting I really started putting my 4 cents in (not 2 cents cause I ramble ya know). Feeling very uncomfortable at first, Ann, JT, Smoke, MG, Barbiedeb, everyone made me feel so welcome. Then at the suggestion of our friend Ann I started reading writings by Melody Beatie. A whole new aspect of my addiction opened up for me. WOW I'm a codependent to, not just an addict, duh!!!!! You can all stop laughing now LOL!!! So here I am again, new in recovery, a different aspect of it, I am not in denial anymore and soaking up all the info I can, just like on my addiction.

Thank you all for listening again, and for being there. You give the same loving support for serious things such as Paul losing his father or less important things such as me taking a speech class at the local JC.

You are a group of loving people, the best there is on this earth.
You say it like it is even if we don't want to hear it but we need to.

The time that Bob and Jon put into this site is so important to all of us and a thank you is just not enough. And then there is Pernell, he takes the time to explain things so that we can all understand them.

To the people that I have mentioned and to evryone else who comes here and shares their experience, strenght & hope. Thank you all.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well, where to start......

although i havent been posting a lot lately, i try to visit everyday and a think of you all every day. i too believe a higher power led me to this site. i had just moved 500 miles away from my family, against their wishes of course, to be with my husband, because i wanted to believe he was getting better. well i found out he had lied, and wasnt clean. i felt so very alone. and then i found this site, and the two very first posts i ever read were 'things that only freak you out when your with an addict' (or something like that) and 'the funniest place you've ever found his or hers stash'. i laughed so hard i cried, and thats when i finally realized...i wasnt alone. and everyone was so warm and welcoming...it was just what i needed......

and although im not working my recovery like i should be......my husband now has 126 days clean, and i have learned how 'not to react' and things are slowly getting better.

and im just so thankful to have this 'safe' place to come to. thank you from the bottom of my heart bob and jon for this wonder forum.

Happy Birthday Soberrecovery!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by krazeegirl; 09-16-2002 at 03:09 PM.