How does quitting smoking compare to quitting drinking?

Old 04-19-2005, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How does quitting smoking compare to quitting drinking?

I know if your a heavy smoker, and you quit.

Your hit with some serious withdrawals. Your skin tightens and you cant breathe clearly, your heart has times when it beats really fast and hard, it becomes constant ache. Matter of fact, your not feeling so well at all.

You have a friend hanging out at the wrong time, especially at the beginning of your quitting stages, try the same day you quitted, you just want to be left alone. For some reason, all you can feel is anger, and anyone around you your going to get pissed at every movement or comment or annoyance. You want some serious space... even though you directly told them its nothing to do with them, dont take it personally, please understand. But this is your best friend and no matter what, he seems to be taking it personally, matter of fact, he is now attaching himself to you more then ever. To the point where he's following you around and starring at you. Imagine that! You just want to kill him, you tell him he should really leave. He does it, but when he gets home, he only calls or sends emails to you. You think to yourself,

GOD DAMMIT, HE JUST DOESNT GET IT... ****** LEAVE ME ALONE IM ****** GETTING OVER THIS ADDICTION, WHAT PART OF NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU DONT YOU GET...

So its shut down, youd rather not reply to any msg's, not explain anything, best things seems to just get a grip on yourself, and come out of this cave when your ready.

Your emotional care for others seem to drop dramatically, as your having a hard time wrestling within your inner self against this monster inside of you.

I can understand quitting smoking... this event describes a small part of my story to quit. How does quitting alcohol compare? Or is this apples vs. oranges?

I am understanding this desire for space, it makes sense post sobriety, you feel all the things you may feel when quitting smoking. I just dont know if quitting drinking is similar.

Last edited by CodeMaster; 04-19-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it depends on the level of addiction but I also think there are inherent differences in the two substances.

I'm a smoker, I've got to a point where I want to quit (got there years ago), have made some serious attempts and failed repeatedly. Now I'm nervous about trying to quit again because I've lost a lot of confidence with it. At the start, the first few attempts, each time I stopped I really believed it was for good and that gave me a lift through the hard parts - it didn't effect my mood too badly and I managed quite well - until I hit the first emotional upset, that's my weak spot. In a sense it does help me understand because I know that with early attempts I really did believe in myself, now the voice inside is a bit like the ones you can sometimes hear here 'Well I wonder how long it'll last this time?' That's soul destroying and removes great chunks of confidence in myself to do it.

When it comes to alcohol my hubby has times of not drinking that can last days or months - but then he doesn't drink inbetween anything like the amount he did years ago. In the last year it's been impossible to tell what is alcohol withdrawal and what's the depression and anxiety he's dealt with most of his life - even pre booze.

Turn the clock back ten years when we were only friends and on the odd day he might try not to drink IT WAS A NIGHTMARE - a totally different scenario. In those days he drank to being blasted EVERY day, mostly he was open that he didn't want to stop because he couldn't and he didn't care enough about himself anyway. Occassionally he would give it a go, I don't think he ever lasted the day and DEFINATELY went through withdrawal. I didn't know what I was watching then but it was horrifying enough for me to remember all these years and now I do know. I have never seen such intense fear, total panic that 'stuff' isn't getting done, physical sickness and shaking (I knew they were the booze!!). In a nutshell, someone desperately physically and mentally ill - until of course he'd give up and drink, returning him to 'normal' then getting him drunk enough to despair and punish himself, wanting to die, wanting to stay drunk, wanting to get away from anyone who cared so that he could drink in peace.

No - I don't think they are the same.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

My experience is that quitting smoking was a walk in the park compared to the struggle I've had with alcohol.

Once the drinking was under control i.e. working the AA program - then I tackled the smoking and I found it surprisingly easy. The first 3 or 4 days of not smoking were hell, but once I was out the other side, it was OK. I realised very quickly that I smoked for exactly the same reasons that I was drinking - anger, fear, self pity etc - basically I smoked to change the way I felt - exactly why I always picked up the first drink - and exactly why I will still sit down and eat a pack of biscuits (cookies) in one session.!!

For me, quitting smoking was a breeze, but maybe that is because I was working a recovery program.?

much love
JC
Old 04-20-2005, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit smoking when I found out my daughter was an alcoholic. I knew that I should quit, new that for years, but just didn't care enough about me to do so. But I wanted to show her strength and that it was possible to beat an addiction. I was mean, crazy, forgetful just about any negative thing you can think of for quite a while. But I stuck with it, she didn't. I've read where the founder of AA died of lung cancer cause he did quit drinking but could never stop the smoking. I was able to convince myself (through reading) that the main difference was my attitude. I needed to believe that it was something I WANTED to do, not that I HAD to quit. Huge difference. I think it could also make a difference with someone stopping any addiction. It's much harder if you feel like you are being forced to do something. In fact the author the book I read on quitting smoking also has one on quitting drinking. My daughter hasn't read that one... But, if anyone wants the info, please PM me. I don't know the rules of posting that type of thing.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I've heard that it's easier to quit drinking than smoking. That's my AH and he smokes...My son said he's heard the same thing...he doesn't smoke but is recovering. I smoke and want to stop. With a desperation so deep I can taste it. Today I cut myself back to 5 ciggies/daily. I am preparing myself to quit. My son suggested that I use the 12 steps...which I think I will probably do. I've heard of other people who have quit smoking using the same method.

Comparison between quitting smoking and drinking...don't do them both at the same time, that's for sure.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking, for me, was a nuthin' to it affair. I drank too much whenever I drank. I drank too much too often. I did dangerous things. After I managed to select the correct one of the two exit ramps I was seeing on my way home one night I realized my luck was going to run out and I stopped. "Don't be stupid." was a working mantra.

Quitting smoking took dozens of attempts. I am currently smoke free and July 27 will be my 2nd anniversary. The effort was large, I still get cravings and it made me sympathize deeply with the physical aspect of alcohol and drug withdrawal.

While it could be said that I had a physical addiction to alcohol, I believe that it is pretty clear from the ease with which I stopped that I did not have "the disease of alcoholism", which includes not only physical addiction, but mental obsession and/or the need to escape circumstances or reality. Smoking can take the edge off a bad day, but it doesn't alter your perception of reality. Smoking is a physical addiction. Alcoholism is that and so much more. Withdrawal from smoking for me was ever so much more painful than withdrawal from alcohol, but with alcohol you have to consider the "oblivion factor" that many users are seeking. One loses their hidey-hole and that's a whole different kind of withdrawal.

Oh... hi. I've been away a few weeks.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smoke is back
Smoke is back
Yay, Smoke is back
I'm glad you're back, I missed you.
Sorry to interject here...carry on.