My day...m

Old 04-09-2005, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My day...m

I spent the day with our old college friends...over 30 people including tons of small children.

I was so concerned that it would be a big drunk fest. And it was not.

You know...most people are able to just a few drinks, not be drunk and be normal social and fun people. I even had a glass of wine.

My husband did not drink at all, nor did my pregnant friend and one other husband (who I did not know, he was some NA beer).

And there were a few who were out of control. One mom was falling down drunk in the yard by mid afternoon. She has 4 young children. I felt so sad for her., she was a big drinker in college and has a serious problem with alcohol and pills. Her husband was furious.

THAT was an eye opener for me. To see that his anger and his rage was totally and completely unhelpful and did nothing to stop her from drinking. I was in his exact position many times and learned that the rage is more destructive than anything else. It was interesting to me to feel only pity and sorrow for this woman, not embarrassment or anger.

I am glad we saw everyone today. I miss being social. I do love to be around people and good food and laughter. And the world does not revolve around alcohol....I must remeber that.

Jenny
Old 04-09-2005, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i'm glad it went well for you. did you feel like running over to that guy and saying "pssst....al-anon!" sometimes i do when i see stuff like that!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jenny,

One the things I have noticed that I seemed never to have before is that you are 100% right. The world (of get togethers, partys etc) do not revolve around booze. My daughter plays ice hockey when we travel to tournaments it seemed that alcohol (when the kids are in bed) seemed to be a big part of it. Get togethers at nght, with lunch (ok maybe the kids aren in bed all the time lol) but it was very much apart of it.

When she no longer drank, you know what? We notice alot of the people we hang with dont drink. We never noticed t but it is true. The fun, laughter, is there MINUS the bad heads in the mornings. The last tournamemt she had, I took her alone. (my daughter) Funny thing is that i "nursed" a beer for about an hour then just switched to coke. I have no problem but was really nervous qabout drinking to much and being one of those folks that people wer smirking about because they wer SOOOO drunk...

Anyway you will find more and more Fun is Fun. It does not need booze to make it so.......
Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is the main problem my AH has. He doesn't drink except when he goes out with the guys or when he's in a group. I worry about his high school reunion this summer. He was known for his partying in high school and now if he suddenly doesn't drink, he's going to be under intense pressure. At least that's what he thinks. People change a lot in fifteen years.

Isn't it strange that peer pressure is not just for pre-teens and teenagers?