Not enabling.....

Old 04-01-2005, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not enabling.....

AH told me this morning that after paying rent, the sitter and some other things, he has no money for food, toilet paper, or anything. He said, "I still haven't figured that one out."

Now...the old me would have offered to pay the sitter for him or take him to the store or pickup toilet paper and some food when I was shopping. I didn't use the "know it all" thing by saying, "I've always found a way, I'm sure you can too." NOPE - I just listened and said "I'm sure you'll figure something out. At least you're back to work now. That should help you get caught up."

Bottom line, I'm glad he's working on sobriety, but if I jump in and start helping him out, not only is that CoDependant, but it will enable him.....

One of the Boundaries I have set for myself is that I have to let him take responsibility for what's his and for me NOT to jump in and save him when I think he needs it. If he really wants/needs help, he will ask.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well handled!! Jess, you're getting right back on track.

wait to be asked, wait to be asked, wait to be asked. I have to say this to myself so many times a day. It works, though.

(((hugs)))

Minnie
xxxx
Old 04-01-2005, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jessica,
That is so great!!! I know I would really struggle with that one! It seems like he keeps giving you opportunities to grow!!!!
Mindi
Old 04-01-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I'm sure you'll figure something out. At least you're back to work now. That should help you get caught up."
GREAT JOB!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU Doesn't it feel good!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going through a lot of (emotional) stuff right now, but at least I know I can still maintain my boundaries.

Yes .... it does feel good!!!

Thanks guys
Old 04-01-2005, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you.......what a great way to handle that situation-not judging but firm!!
I had to chuckle.........congrats on the great move!!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

way to go ((jessica))!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

jess - i am so proud of you girl! you are doing an awesome job and here i sit in my stew! i truly am a slow learner!

hugs - chris
Old 04-01-2005, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Bravo!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwohio
jess - i am so proud of you girl! you are doing an awesome job and here i sit in my stew! i truly am a slow learner!

hugs - chris
You are dealing with much more than I am. I truly commend you for how well you are doing. YOU are doing awesome. I couldn't even image being where you or wray are, or anyone else here that is dealing with a terribly ill A. You all are an inspiration.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go, Jess!

WAHOO!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so glad for you. I will definately put that saying in my pocket. But I have a question, are you divorced/separated? Why does he have the kid(s)? How do you deal with no money for food if there are kids involved? In any event it sounds like you have some great boundaries and I hope to learn from you.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sinclair
But I have a question, are you divorced/separated? Why does he have the kid(s)? How do you deal with no money for food if there are kids involved?
We are seperated...but not legally. He's been out of the house for a year. I asked him to move out b/c I was miserable. This was the only way,for me, to grow. The arrangement was, I work on me, he work on him, and THEN we can work on us. Obvisouly, he is still working on him.

I have the kids. The only thing I ask him to pay, since I can't get money out of him, is to pay the sitter.

He picks them up in the morning but he does not keep them during the day or on the weekends. I found him passed out in his apartment with our three year old, an empty bottle of vodka on his passengers seat and he didn't pick up our son from school. Since I cannot trust him to be responsible with our kids, he cannot keep them for an extended period of time. He's working on that though....
Old 04-02-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

jess - thanks but i don't feel like i am doing awesome. one day at a time!