Omg Tell Me Its Not True

Old 03-29-2005, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Omg Tell Me Its Not True

As if he hasn't done enough damage...I am told that someone has taken out a credit line of $25,000 in my brothers name at a jewelry store. My brother who is 18 and a senior in high school swears he didnt apply for that. OMG, please tell he is not that stupid. I am waiting to hear from my bro who is coming into my office to call the Credit Card company to find out when this was taken out and get more info. The ex was living with me and my parents for months and while I can not imagine him being that stupid, I am not sure who else would have had access to the info needed to apply for that. I really hope my brother did it without knowing or is just lying to cover up a big purchase or something bc I dont think I can handle this if he did actually commit identity fraud. All this after I just completed my financial inventory that shows that I can prove that he owes me thousands of dollars. When will it end?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unfortunately it ends when they hit their bottom - could be jail, hospitalization or in the case of my brother - death (suicide)..This is a nasty disease...

Hang in there..Do what you need to take care of yourself..nuture yourself and be kind to yourself..

Hugs,

Del
Old 03-29-2005, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Holy, crikes, lady...

YOU can handle it - if it's him (seems likely) he won't get away with it. Like you said you already have been in contact with your Credit companies about potential fraud.... all to your benefit.

Good luck - at least his presonality is totally transparent now to you....
Old 03-29-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If your bro confirms he did not open that account, I urge you to notify anyone you feel may be vulnerable or any member of your family that it's possible that someone is targeting your family for identity theft. Let us pray that it's NOT your man but regardless of who it is, the others should be forewarned.

If your bro did not open the account, please do all you can to help him close it and report the violation.

ID theft is horrid and if it's not taken to it's knees...and quickly, it can follow you for YEARS.

The government has some good sites with info:

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/idtheft.html

follow the link about "what to do if you're a victim"
Old 03-29-2005, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

For many months, I got phone calls telling me I was responsible for paying a debt that my aunt had incurred and didn't pay. She'd put me down as co-signer. I was about 20 at the time of the calls. They threatened to put me in jail, ruin my credit, you name it. The last call, I asked when the loan was taken out and at the time, I was 14. So, of course, that made it illegal.

Go to the jewelry store and look at the signature. That should be an end to it. Hope it works out.

Hugs
Old 03-29-2005, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

It wasn't him. All worked up for nothing. Turns out it wasnt identity theft afterall...my brother thought he was filling out a survey not a credit app...so he says...after calling the Stores credit department and being reminded.

So emotionally stable of me to get so upset without all the facts. Geesh. I am bitting my tongue next time...at least I know he isnt THAT Stupid. Although I am still mad about the thousands he owes me.

I have changed all my passwords and requested new cards from all banks and hope I can get a grip on my finances!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I'm happy things could be resolved.

((((((((((Elizabeth))))))))))
Old 03-29-2005, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Thanks Kathy, I should keep my emotions in check next time!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great news! But what's scarier is that they gave an 18 yo high school student a $25000 credit line?!

Christine