Financial Problems

Old 03-26-2005, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Financial Problems

Hi all,

I am having a serious financial problem as my ex is using my credit cards at places that dont actually require the card to be presented...hotels, ordering takeout, etc.
I have talked to my bank and they have changed my pin and sent a new card with a new card number, but wont credit me back the money he spent and the vendors wont either---unless I notify the authorities. WOULD YOU DO IT? What can I do that will get my money back? I am $300 overdrawn, work 2 jobs and cant pay my fricking car payment.

Damn damn damn.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you're divorced, the divorce decree governs what you need to do. If you're separated, keep a record of every charge he makes and get reimbursement in court. If you post in the local newspapers a "not responsible" notice then merchants that honor his using your cards will not be reimbursed. Your local court can give you the exact language needed.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Beauty said it in a nut shell.

But yeppers, for all the pleading and begging, and boo hooing, he's still ripping you off. Protect yourself. It's your name and credit reputation. Do what you gotta do. You're taking care of yourself now, and letting him get away with it is giving him an "okay" signal. We're responsible for our actions and need to pay the price of they go against the law.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you have clearly stated to him YOU MAY NOT USE MY CREDIT CARD and he did so anyway, then YES, I would report him. Take the report number to the bank and get your account credited. Let him face the consequences of his own actions.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

I actually got my AH's mail while he was in rehab a couple weeks ago and he had a new credit card in the mail and there was also one with my name on it going to his PO Box. I called the credit card company and asked about the card saying I had not authorized it. He is the one that got the credit card and put me on as an authorized user, therefore I am not responsible for payment, even though we are married.

The beginning of last year, I called our credit card companies and canceled every single one of them. There was one that indicated they needed him to cancel it, not me. I simply said, if that's the case, then I am not responsible for payment, right? they canceled the card.

CANCEL THEM!!!! You can also tell them the situation and close that account and get a new one that he doesn't know the number. Save yourself the worry and frustration, it is just a phone call away - and most have 24 hour customer service!

I don't know your situation, can you ask him to help you make your car payment? If he refuses, can you get together in black and white every transaction HE has made, and show him in black and white how much money he owes you and tell him you really need his help to make your car payment. Sometimes I had to SHOW my AH things in black and white to help him get a reality check of how things really are.

Good luck with this situation.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd report him because it's your credit rating at risk. You have to protect yourself.

Ngaire
Old 03-29-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Thanks guys, I am putting together a list of financial obligations he has to me...it will probably make me scream when I have it all together...but then I will be notifying him in writing that he can either set up a payment arrangement with me or I will take him to court...I wont get much out of him in court bc he makes cash and even if they garnished his wages it would garnish his $2.31 or whatever he makes. That is not the point though , the point is I am telling him I am not responsible for him anymore.!!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You may want to call/e-mail the three credit bureaus as well and put an explaination on your account, that the account was used without your permission..It is at least one more thing that they will review when looking at your credit..

When one of my ex alcoholics broke up with me, I put a password protection on all my accounts so that no one could open up any credit without anyone calling and verifying it was really me as well.

you can put a fraud alert on all your credit bureau accounts as well that will do that..

Last edited by Minx1969; 03-29-2005 at 08:21 AM. Reason: misspell